Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Crew Wanted Montauk to Port Washington, 11/15-16

Looking for people who might be interested in crewing the weekend of November 15th and 16th, for a sail from Montauk to Port Washington. The plan is to sail mostly in daylight, with an overnight stop somewhere on the CT side of Long Island sound Saturday night.

The boat is a 2000 Beneteau 505, with accommodations for 9, but I'd like to keep it to 6 max.

Crew would be responsible for taking turns at the helm, help with the cooking or cleanup, and assisting with navigation, so some knowledge and experience sailing and boating is necessary. I will buy the food and drinks for the trip.

There is public transportation to Montauk via Long Island Rail Road, the "Hampton Jitney" bus and local busses as well. I will pick you up at the train station or bus stop in Montauk. Port Washington has easy Long Island Rail Road service to NY City and other points from there. You would be responsible for getting to/from the boat.

No drugs of any kind, no smoking. Fun, friendly people wanted. I prefer to meet potential crew in or around Nassau county sometime this week.

Please respond to me directly.

Happy Sailing!

Last edited by Bene505; 11-06-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have sailed the area a lot and find the north shore of Long Island, Mattituck Mount Sinai ,Port Jefferson ,Oystery Bay and Northport much simpler to enter

Most of the Conn side has really ROCKY entrance channels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
the problem with long island side is there isnt really a good anchorage from orient to port jeff except mayb mattituck but i prefer not....i would but im 14 and dont know if you want that or if parents would allow i have sailing experience and can navigate and hold a course, spent 2.5 weeks on a passenger schooner in maine last summer and am familiar with dishes and cleaning, would love to have some more experience
pm if interested.

Last edited by mrwuffles; 11-06-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I have sailed the area a lot and find the north shore of Long Island, Mattituck Mount Sinai ,Port Jefferson ,Oystery Bay and Northport much simpler to enter

Most of the Conn side has really ROCKY entrance channels
That's one of the reasons I prefer to sail in daylight.
Old 11-07-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Some potential crew have expressed a desire to make it a long day sail. This would involve leaving in the very early hours of Saturday morning the 15th. I'm planning it as a two day trip and staying flexible to conditions etc.
Old 11-08-2008

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road
I am in connecticut, i may be free that weekend, is there a ferry going from ct to montague? if so is it running this time of year, I know there is one from port jeff to ct. but once again dont know if it is running this time of year. I have a 37 ft sloop, sail long island sound, have taken nav courses and am currently in school for Masters captains licence. I can navigate, skipper, crew and clean. Overnight is fine with me, actually preferred. One stipulation. i am allergic to cats/dogs, do you ever have any on board? If interested send me a private message and include phone and we can discuss further
Old 11-08-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
I'm definitely free that weekend. Transportation to LI is no problem. Timing is no problem I'm the boss at my company, could help on Fri or Mon if necessary too. I've skippered, crewed, repaired etc. for a few years in LIS and other places. 203-605-8801
Old 11-08-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I have been going out to Gardiner's Bay for summers for over 40 years and learned to sail in part on Hempstead Harbor. When we got our 27' Tartan 6 years ago we delivered it from 3 Mile Harbor to Great Neck via Plum Gut and down the Sound. This past June I helped a Beneteau first 51' owner deliver his boat from Tortola, BVI to Turks and Caicos with just him and me on board. I wrote an account of our trip here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...gry-ocean.html
I think that 6 people total is more then you need and it could be done with 3 or 4 able crew members unless you are using a chute or spinnaker. More than likely the wind will either be on your nose our possibly the N or NW which could provide a better point for sailing to Manhasset. My copy of Eldridge shows the flood tide starting at The Race at 6:13 am on 11/15 which would mean that getting a very early start would be a good thing as by around noon the current will start setting northwest. The tidal currents will not be at their worst but will still be pretty strong as the moon is still close to full AND it is at its perigee (or closest orbit) and in a northern declination. Some of the maximum currents by Plum Gut and the Race can be pretty strong if they are setting against you so an early start is what you should be shooting for. This could mean assembling your crew Fri. night and leaving early, weather permitting, with a possible overnight on Sat. I know that your boat should be able to do 8+ knots but with a 3+ knot current near The Race against you it will not be as quick as you might like.
I also know most of the harbors on the north shore of LI but unfortunately I am a cigarette smoker and am not sure that I am free to join you. Still, it sounds like a fun trip/delivery.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-10-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

CalebD -- I'd love to have you on board. Can you smoke out in the cockpit every time instead of down below? Also note that with the "tradewinds" we've been having, it might be an upwind trip.

(When my wife was driving my car once, she had my sister (a smoker) on board. The car smelled like cigarette smoke for 3 weeks afterward. Go ahead, ask me the fun way I got my sister back. You'll never guess.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
I have been going out to Gardiner's Bay for summers for over 40 years and learned to sail in part on Hempstead Harbor. When we got our 27' Tartan 6 years ago we delivered it from 3 Mile Harbor to Great Neck via Plum Gut and down the Sound. This past June I helped a Beneteau first 51' owner deliver his boat from Tortola, BVI to Turks and Caicos with just him and me on board. I wrote an account of our trip here: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...gry-ocean.html
I think that 6 people total is more then you need and it could be done with 3 or 4 able crew members unless you are using a chute or spinnaker. More than likely the wind will either be on your nose our possibly the N or NW which could provide a better point for sailing to Manhasset. My copy of Eldridge shows the flood tide starting at The Race at 6:13 am on 11/15 which would mean that getting a very early start would be a good thing as by around noon the current will start setting northwest. The tidal currents will not be at their worst but will still be pretty strong as the moon is still close to full AND it is at its perigee (or closest orbit) and in a northern declination. Some of the maximum currents by Plum Gut and the Race can be pretty strong if they are setting against you so an early start is what you should be shooting for. This could mean assembling your crew Fri. night and leaving early, weather permitting, with a possible overnight on Sat. I know that your boat should be able to do 8+ knots but with a 3+ knot current near The Race against you it will not be as quick as you might like.
I also know most of the harbors on the north shore of LI but unfortunately I am a cigarette smoker and am not sure that I am free to join you. Still, it sounds like a fun trip/delivery.
Old 11-10-2008

defrich is on a distinguished road
Hello,
I'm a deepwater sailing newbie.
Largest boat I crewed on happened to be a Beneteau 50 in the BVI last April.
Other than that it has been 25s and under.
12 years as a destroyer sailor.
62 years old and in rather good shape.
Non-smoker.
Live in Shirley , montauk is south east of me.
Let me know if yo are interested.

Blue Skies....Richard