Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
I tripped across this thread out of boredom on a quiet, snowy day and just finished reading it from end to end. All I can say is shame, shame.

I'm sixty nine years old and I've been sailing for about 50 years. I have owned four boats, ranging from 12 feet to my present 41 footer. I have sailed up and down the entire East Coast, on the Great Lakes and in the Caribbean. I have generally found sailors to be congenial, helpful and friendly and never have I seen a more shabby display than this thread. Captain whatshisname may have phrased his request badly, even inappropriately, but the outpouring of vitriol that many of you have posted makes me ashamed to be a sailor. I had no idea so many of you were out there. I hope I never meet you on the water. Accusing the poor guy of being a pedophile, a pervert and God knows what else based on one badly done post is beyond my understanding.

Someone suggested that first poster should have built a little bit of a reputation before posting his request. I agree. Maybe some more tolerance from the rest of you would have encouraged someone to be better than they are. Maybe it might also make you a bit better.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Pluta View Post
I tripped across this thread out of boredom on a quiet, snowy day and just finished reading it from end to end. All I can say is shame, shame.

I'm sixty nine years old and I've been sailing for about 50 years. I have owned four boats, ranging from 12 feet to my present 41 footer. I have sailed up and down the entire East Coast, on the Great Lakes and in the Caribbean. I have generally found sailors to be congenial, helpful and friendly and never have I seen a more shabby display than this thread. Captain whatshisname may have phrased his request badly, even inappropriately, but the outpouring of vitriol that many of you have posted makes me ashamed to be a sailor. I had no idea so many of you were out there. I hope I never meet you on the water. Accusing the poor guy of being a pedophile, a pervert and God knows what else based on one badly done post is beyond my understanding.

Someone suggested that first poster should have built a little bit of a reputation before posting his request. I agree. Maybe some more tolerance from the rest of you would have encouraged someone to be better than they are. Maybe it might also make you a bit better.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas
Move along....nothing to see here...he's off to buy a Power boat...move along......move along....nothing is lost.....
Old 12-21-2008

Dick Pluta is on a distinguished road
I would expect to see this kind of behavior from a powerboater. Maybe I am on the wrong site. I thought this was Sailnet. I'm gone and won't be back.
Old 12-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dick—

While I agree that there was no need to call the OP a pedophile, and in fact, nothing in his post suggests anything of the sort, the fact remains, he clearly states in his OP that the female crew he's looking for would be required to share quarters after the outset of the voyage. That puts him pretty far from gentleman IMHO... Crew should be crew... if he's looking for a bedmate, he should be looking on a personals site, not a sailing forum—especially as his first post.
Quote:

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 12-21-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
I would expect to see this kind of behavior from a powerboater. Maybe I am on the wrong site. I thought this was Sailnet. I'm gone and won't be back.
Please don't do that..no need to..

Truth is we saw way too many times what the intentions are in posts JUST like that one..really.

We're just trying to keep the 'house clean", that is all..

after all, my wife, my kids, my friends all come here, no need to see the type of "invitations" most of these guys are making...

OK??

Don't leave, no need...

we also joke a lot here..altough not here
Old 12-22-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I just have to say that the internet has brought to me more entertainment than Hollywood will ever be capable of.....WHAT A HOOT!!!!!
Old 12-25-2008

captainstevie is on a distinguished road
And the winner is...

If anyone out there still cares at this point--just wanted to let you know that I found a wonderful woman via an ad I ran on Craigslist who, after spending a week with me at the boat yard helping with commisioning chores, will be flying back down in a few weeks to join me cruising the Bahamas.

And yes, she is bright, attractive and fit...

I'll post more pics when we get to the Islands to really rub it in...

Enjoy your winter!
Attached Thumbnails
Have boat, need mate.-maria-indiantown2-1.jpg  
Old 12-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congratulations... look forward to seeing the pix from the islands.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
And it's a Gemini!!! Hull number 579
No wonder you found someone.

Last edited by chucklesR; 12-25-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
And it's a Gemini!!! Hull number 579
No wonder you found someone.
HEY!
That's MMR!
Looks like she upgraded! You'll be flying into Chicago in January, she'll be flyin in to Ft. LaDeDa. Merry freakin Xmas Chuck!!!!!!!!!!!