Offshore Passage Opportunities - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 04-09-2017

Re: Offshore Passage Opportunities

I have gotten great experience sailing through OPO. I have met great people and long lasting friends. The site offers a wide variety of opportunities, from day sails or,overnight sails,to long passages.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 04-10-2017

Going home end of May. 1500m. Wife, me, one crew from here and one from OPO. Have had good and bad from OPO. Have learned as capt/owner to make sure boat can run if unknown crew is live lumber. Have learned to call not just email each and every reference. Think the world of Hank. He's a good guy but remember he's there to place people it remember it remains your job to choose.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #23 of 29 Old 04-10-2017

Hi,

It is just me or OPO membership (not the free that doesn't do anything) with $199 initiation plus $125 annual renewal seems a little excessive? I mean, if with that purchase you just get the contact information from skippers looking for crew...like could happen completely for free in sites like Sailnet. I understand some cost: I am member of other skipper/crew finder places...only ~ $10, that can be spend in maintaining the site, servers, etc... Also, you can go to sites like Marion-Bermuda, Marblehead-Halifax races where they can post about crew needed. I don't know, maybe I am missing something in the big picture.

BTW, in OPO, no new sailing opportunities since December.

post #24 of 29 Old 04-10-2017

Also, let me cross reference with the post by @SavvySalt about ways to get offshore sailing experience
7 Ways to get Offshore Sailing Experience as Crew
The Following User Says Thank You to cascoamarillo For This Useful Post:
SavvySalt (04-11-2017)
post #25 of 29 Old 04-11-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascoamarillo View Post
It is just me or OPO membership (not the free that doesn't do anything) with $199 initiation plus $125 annual renewal seems a little excessive?
OPO provides a lot of good opportunities with good skippers on good boats. Many OPO members appreciate not having to do the alternative research you cite.

Quote:
BTW, in OPO, no new sailing opportunities since December.
Not true. I've posted two on OPO since December, and that is just me. Something is not working for you. Are you not getting the opportunity emails?

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
OPO provides a lot of good opportunities with good skippers on good boats. Many OPO members appreciate not having to do the alternative research you cite.
It was a little rant from my side; not saying it doesn't provide good opportunities...but a little pricey for me the service itself; I am planning to get some offshore experience and I am looking at different sites/approaches.

Quote:
Not true. I've posted two on OPO since December, and that is just me. Something is not working for you. Are you not getting the opportunity emails?
I haven't receive any email because I am not a member (just free membership to browse the site). But if I am thinking of joining and only see this:
https://www.sailopo.com/message_board.aspx
where last posts are from December to sail on January, it makes you think about paying or not.

@SVAuspicious , I have followed your recent delivers. I really enjoyed them....sitting in from of my laptop. Glad there are sailors like you who take crew willing to learn and then post their experience so everybody can learn together. Thanks.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-11-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
I haven't receive any email because I am not a member (just free membership to browse the site). But if I am thinking of joining and only see this:
https://www.sailopo.com/message_board.aspx
where last posts are from December to sail on January, it makes you think about paying or not.
I'm guessing here. I know that Hank has been very busy this year. Since the free "looks" don't include contact information I bet he has to edit them manually and post.

I only see the pro skipper list but I know I posted two opportunities this year and there is no possible way I was the only one.

Quote:
@SVAuspicious , I have followed your recent delivers. I really enjoyed them....sitting in from of my laptop. Glad there are sailors like you who take crew willing to learn and then post their experience so everybody can learn together. Thanks.
I'm glad my little stories are entertaining and I hope informative. Paying it forward whenever I can.

I'm looking at a different webinar mechanism so I can offer more interactive insight into sailing offshore, along with all the usual radio and electronics stuff I spend so much time on.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #28 of 29 Old 04-11-2017

Quote:
I only see the pro skipper list but I know I posted two opportunities this year and there is no possible way I was the only one.
When I was researching the getting offshore sailing experience article I noticed lack of recent opportunities on the public website. Over lunch I mentioned this to a buddy who is an OPO member and he showed me a bunch of more recent emails that weren't yet on the OPO public website.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-13-2017

Hank is a very personable person. Think over time he gets to know his skippers and their boats. He does give good feedback in trying to match crew to appropriate boats.
I tried and continue to try to take one newbie on each passage. But want the other two crew to be proven experienced crew. To this end post here and at OPO. Realize there are multiple crew lists competing with Hank and most rallies like sdr or arc also have crew lists. Skippers aren't going to pay with there being multiple ways to find crew so the burden falls on crew. Realize you are betting your life when you get on a sailboat as crew and do a blue water passage. A couple of hundred bucks to find a safe boat is peanuts.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.