Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Offshore Passage Opportunities

Has anyone had any experience with the OPO (Offshore Passage Opportunities: Halesite, New York) web community? I am looking for ways to expand my knowledge and experience with longer passages before the big day of leaving this all behind and cruising. Although I am not against paying for passagemaking experience with Mahina etc.... I was wondering if a site like OPO would give someone with limited experience offshore actual opportunities.

BTW,
Anyone willing to take on a relatively new sailor for a boat move, delivery, or any passage, let me know. Short resume is ASA certified through 105, emergency medical trained, not a bad cook, opinionated but always up for a good respectful disagreement and discussion. Able to pay my own way in return for the education and experience.

Michael
Hull #15
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
it doesnt look to bad from what i can see from the site they have extensive forms for you to fill out so it seems like they really care about matching you to the right boat and captain its not just another site of boats looking for crew its like the eharmony of boats, the thing that caught my eye was its 5 min from my house, small world
Old 11-15-2008

SrSeabass is on a distinguished road
This seems like a well organized site. Based on the $200 annual fee I assume it keeps the postings to only those that are sincere. Im curious if there are other opinions out there...?
Old 11-19-2008
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
I've used SailOPO to get extra crew for a couple of passages (one transatlantic and one down to the Caribbean), and both the crew and I have been happy with the results. I think Hank tries to do a good job weeding out the problem boats and crews.

That being said, my OPO crew for a December 1 passage from Beaufort NC to Puerto Rico just bailed out on me and I am looking for a replacement like you. I will PM you with the details.
Old 11-20-2008

SrSeabass is on a distinguished road
Sounds good. Looking forward to the details.

Best Regards
Old 12-16-2008

sailor37 is on a distinguished road
Offshore Passage Oportunities

I've been a member of OPO for over a year and impressed with the number of oportunities which are posted. Recently did a passage from Newport, RI to Saint Martens. A great way to gain experience.
Old 12-17-2008
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
Sailor,
Thanks for the feedback, do you find that most opportunities are short notice or is there a significant number of opportunities with at least 6 weeks notice?

Michael
Hull #15
Old 01-01-2009

sailor37 is on a distinguished road
Opo

Most opportunities are short notice. There are opportunities with lots of notice but most of these you will pay for the passage, $1000 to $2500 per week. These very from trans atlantic to a week cruising in the Caribbean.
Old 01-24-2009

ericmeury is on a distinguished road
i did the same opo trip and another thru hank..both non paying, and non paid. Worked out great.
Old 01-24-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This has to be a better way to go than simply answering an ad... as we have seen here in these pages such escapades can go very sour in a hurry.

I am personally aware of 3 of 4 such sad stories... sounds good at a distance, you arrive at the boat - it's "not quite ready".. just a few days (weeks) of work, stick around.... the experienced, nice guy in the email turns into Capt Bligh with a lecherous eye. The lucky applicants are those who bolt before leaving port.

Presumably this outfit will do some vetting, giving you security in deciding to go - the testimonials above are encouraging.

But even so, setting out to sea on a boat you don't know with a captain/crew you don't know is still a bit scary to me......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)