Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009

rvatdi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rvatdi
Crew Wage

I have the opportunity to crew for a private yacht in the southern Caribbean and they have asked how much pay I require.

Im 25 and have crewed a J/105 for one complete season. I have a 2 family bareboat charter vacations under my belt and am eager to be on the water as much as possible.

I make about 2000 a month as a drafter at home...

Should i expect to get payed hourly/monthly?

Is there a going rate for this service?

Anyone else think this is a good way to start the dream?

Thanks for the insight!

Phil
Richmond VA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2009
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
You'd be paid by the day. Usually six days on one off. But it's not a standard by any means. Your dealing with a private yacht so you need to find out if your going to paid legally or under the table, as well as whats expected of you. Also, you need to be careful of where your paid. You may be liable for another countries taxes if the vessel is registered or the owner claims residence in another country. I doubt they're going to match your $2000 a month salary. You'd probably be lucky to get $250 a week. But I've been out of the industry for awhile so get more opinions.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 01-09-2009

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Phil, What are your responsibilities? Are there other crew members? Is there a hired Captain? Is this a 24/7 job? Are the owners there all the time or do you have down time when they are not using the boat?

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Old 01-09-2009

Dan, I think that schedule would work well for me, I would prefer to be paid weekly. It hasn't been clarified how my pay will come or the legal ramifications of such a relationship. I think I could get by on 250 a week if housing was provided but otherwise I doubt I could afford to do anything but camp... which i would consider.

Naut, My responsibilities haven't been clarified yet but I expressed that I would do pretty much anything. There are 2 other crew, the captain and the 1st mate. They do mostly day sails with dinner and snorkeling with the option for an over night trip. They seem to be regularly busy, but it would be hard to say as I only met the 1st mate briefly.

I just responded with a bunch of questions for the boat, I hope to have a response promptly.

Anyone have any other insight/thoughts/comments/questions/queries?

Is there anything that I should ask that I dont know to?

Thanks!

Phil
Old 01-09-2009

N0NJY is on a distinguished road
Personally, I'd make sure I knew what my exact responsibilities were - and go have fun

(But that's me)

moˈloːn laˈbe!

It's better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you're not.

Let those winds of change blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead - Jimmy Buffet
Old 01-09-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
A few things I would wish to know if I were you---
Sleeping arraingements, on the boat or on shore.
Food, supplied on boat, or every man for themselves
General cost of living if you are responsible for room and board on shore
Total number of hours per week if salaried or $/hr if not
What currency will compensation be in, US dollars or other
What income tax concerns should be known
Is a work visa needed
How well or poorly do locals accept off island workers
What insurance/workers comp will there be if hurt on the job
Willingness to put everything in writing regarding employment
Gratuities, yes or no. If yes, how disbursed between capt and crew
Condition of vessel
Inland water day trips only or some offshore work
Maximum number of passengers on vessel
What would be required for advancement or increased pay, certificates etc.
What is the native language
Why would they need a "mate" from the US? Will the locals not work for the capt. If not why?
Try and contact anybody from the island and ask about the reputation of the capt and vessel

I stronlgy suggest the last one above because there are day charters here that can't keep crew for more than a few days as a result of the captains' (multiple) personalities. Go in with your eyes wide open!!!!!

Good luck and tell us how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvatdi View Post
Dan, I think that schedule would work well for me, I would prefer to be paid weekly. It hasn't been clarified how my pay will come or the legal ramifications of such a relationship. I think I could get by on 250 a week if housing was provided but otherwise I doubt I could afford to do anything but camp... which i would consider.

Naut, My responsibilities haven't been clarified yet but I expressed that I would do pretty much anything. There are 2 other crew, the captain and the 1st mate. They do mostly day sails with dinner and snorkeling with the option for an over night trip. They seem to be regularly busy, but it would be hard to say as I only met the 1st mate briefly.

I just responded with a bunch of questions for the boat, I hope to have a response promptly.

Anyone have any other insight/thoughts/comments/questions/queries?

Is there anything that I should ask that I dont know to?

Thanks!

Phil
Old 01-09-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
FWIW, when an employer asks you "how much do you want?" it means they are looking to get away with as little as they can or must. And that philosophy is likely to govern all their dealings.

Do check into termination and transportation, i.e. will you be contracted for a longer period and dropped back off at a set place? Or, terminated at their pleasure, and left to find your way home from wherever, whenever, as well.

The flag of the yacht will also determine your legal rights & recourses, i.e. if you are injured while onboard, etc. More to look into.
Old 01-09-2009
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
If it's a snorkle boat then ask about tips and how they're split. Whether they're reported or not. A berth is the sticking point, lodging in the carribe is really expensive. I'd assumed when you said private yact it was none commercial. If this is a catamaran then don't expect birthing. Food sounds like sometimes yes, sometimes no. It would be whats left over from the charters. It woiuld be fun but go with no expectations and make sure you have enough in to bank to fly your ass back home. You shouldn't need much money if your staying on the boat. If your trying to keep up with car payments and insurance as well as rent and other basic expenses back home then skip this one and look for two week voluteer trips instead. Other wise the stress of having to send money back home will were thin really quick.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 01-22-2009

STTnBama is on a distinguished road
If this is a daysail charter boat like it sounds. I have crewed and run boats doing daysail charters in the US Virgin Islands and as crew working for the owner, meaning..the owner was the captain, I was paid $60 a day and kept all tips. Owners generally don't take any tips. If you are working for a hired captain, then they will split tips with you. If there is already a first mate, sounds like you will be splitting tips with him either way.
Old 01-23-2009

Well its been two weeks and Ive had no reply from my fingers crossed email. Too bad, I guess I could have seen it coming. Here is the majority of the email I got back after my initial correspondence.

Hi there,

I do remember you. As always I do not have much time so I need to make this short.

Yes, I am in interested.
(The captain identified on the website) is no longer part of this. I am.
I have a Dutch captain right now.
Where do you live? How old are you? What Nationality do you hold?
How long do you want to work in Aruba?
What kind of hours and pay are you looking for?
Do you have a family that you will be bringing with you?

Let’s take it from here.

Thanks

Not exactly the most professional exchange.

I am still very open to a crew position and look forward to any offers that might be available!

If that doesnt work, Ill keep racing for a couple of seasons and then get a Pearson 35 Yawl and kick this popsicle stand for a while.