Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009

ChrisFH is on a distinguished road
Available to make trans-Atlantic passage

I am a physically fit, trustworthy and hardworking 22 year old male, looking to make a trans-Atlantic sailing passage this summer. I am from the New York City area and am free from June 1st through August 31st. My knowledge of sailing is limited, but I am eager to learn and help any way I can.

I am very comfortable around the water and an overall confident individual. I lifeguarded for 6 years and swam competitively at a national level for 12 years. As an Eagle Scout, I am familiar with various knots and small boat sailing. College educated in Industrial Design. In my free time I enjoy skydiving, rock climbing, hiking, snowboarding, kayaking and traveling. I love challenges and don't break under pressure.

Whether it be standing watch, cleaning, making repairs, cooking, hauling a line or merely providing interesting company, I can help.

~Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Chris,

Good post. If I were making such a passage, I'd consider you a good candidate for crew. If I could suggest a few ways to improve your credentials, it would be to maybe take a basic sailing class this spring at your local yacht/sailing club. And then try to crew in some of the local regattas.

Keep a running log of your time spent aboard, what sort of boat it was, and the skipper's name as a potential reference. This is all info that would be of interest to a boat owner/skipper that might consider you for crew.

Also, first aid experience is a big plus. I wouldn't be surprised, as an Eagle Scout and life guard, if you already had some CPR and other experience. You might want to add that to your note.

Good luck! If you do end up hitching a ride, take a lot of photos and come back and tell us all about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-28-2009

ChrisFH is on a distinguished road
John,

Thanks for your feedback. I will make sure to push my first aid experience as a selling point. As a lifeguard I did learn basic first aid, resuscitation and CPR.

A regatta sounds like fun, I will look into formal sailing training courses in my area. I will look around for yacht clubs in the area which offer courses.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-28-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You might consider contacting Daniel Goldberg on this forum. He runs the Bermuda Rally. Unless I am mistaken, they look for crew on some of these boats. I think he pushes off in June... so give him a shot.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 01-28-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Have you sailed high seas on a 30 to 45 foot sailboat??? And I mean real sailing in waves, winds etc.?? Not daily trips. Not as deck or crew on a Coast Guard vessel.

The worse thing can happen is 1 week into the trip, you fall ill of sea sickness, and become:

1) 1 less help
2) 1 more burden
3) 1 more to look after
4) dressed in vomit 24/7
5) scared, desoriented, etc..
6) dead
7) lose it with the crew
8) jump overboard (happen more than you think).

I am not peeing on your parade..just being realistic, that I doubt any one will take you across ther Atlantic, for at least 26 days, if you are limited or no expereince at all in ocean pasages on a small sailboat.

By the way..sailing from Ny to Europe in the summer, probably you will be downwind all the time, in moderate winds..the boat has the worse rocking motion...sideways..drives one nuts..20 days of that.

Hope you find your dream, but think it before...it's not like you are rock climbing, or kayaking or canoeing, where you come home at the end of the day.

And no matter what your swiming credentials are..you fall over board ansd they don't pick you up..you die...you can't swim home.

So bottom line is...go sail, get some miles, crew in smaller passages, then..go for it...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.