Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009

eingeist is on a distinguished road
Wanting to learn, offering crew help in N.E. FL

Hello. I am a 23 year old male. I have been adamantly wanting to learn to sail. I was suggested in another section of this board to contact local yacht clubs to inquire about shorthanded boats who may need assistance as crew for the weekend sailors/racers. I have had terrible luck, I'm a regular guy, in college and working, and most of these yacht clubs are a little too "smug" it seems, if I can get any answer from them at all.

So I'm posting here. I don't know much. I do ride motorcycles, drive cars, pilot boats, and fly airplanes so why not start sailing as well?

In all seriousness, I can pretty much do anything. Since I cannot afford my own boat at the moment (school eats up the majority of my money), and cannot afford a club, maybe I can find someone here who sails and could use an extra hand or another crew member?

I live in Jacksonville, FL.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
I have had similar luck in contacting yacht clubs in the Stuart area. I am guessing the season is wrong or there are just way more powerboats here. But they could at least respond with a sorry can't help you message. Assuming their mailboxes are not deluged with spam that is...

I plan to wander down to some of them on the weekend after the weather improves and see if I can talk to someone and at least get some clues as to which clubs have sailboat races or at least some sailboats in their marinas. I don't see a lot of masts in this area though so am not real hopeful. Further south in Boca/Miami I saw lots of masts but thats too far to go.
Old 02-04-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Dudes. There is a bit of a catch-22 going on with what you are trying to do - bust into sailing on other peoples boats without much sailing experience. You may get lucky and find someone willing to take you out but that may mean hanging around those 'smug' places while trying to insinuate yourself on some boat owner.
The catch-22 is that you will find it much easier to meet people who own boats if you happen to own one yourself. When I was your age I was sailing on Sunfish, various day sailors and even windsurfers that brought me into contact with folks who sometimes owned bigger boats. Frankly, back then I did not really want to hang out with the older guys with bigger boats even if they could have taught me something about sailing.
Get a Sunfish, old Laser or catamaran or any small day sailor or even learn to windsurf. The smaller the boat the better as the overall cost is much cheaper. For windsurfing I would suggest taking some lessons. Once you learn to sail you will meet people out on the water or on the beach who might consider you as potential crew.
Another angle is to get your launch operators license (OUPV CG license) and drive a launch boat for a local club. You will still meet the folks with the big boats this way and have a job to boot.
It kinda sucks when you are young and want to do everything but can't because it cost way more then you can afford. I am only suggesting that there are smaller boats that you can afford and other avenues towards your goal then hanging around a club you are not a member of, wearing a blazer or Izod shirt you hate.
There are many down to earth small sailboat (< 33') owners out there but the bigger the boat the less it leaves its dock and the more expensive it is. It's complicated; that's all. It is easier when you have your own boat (however small).
Good luck guys.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2009

nicholas829 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nicholas829
eingeist:....i can offer some sail time in jax.....nich.
Old 02-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas829 View Post
eingeist:....i can offer some sail time in jax.....nich.
Really? Awesome. I got a PM from another guy offering as well, but I cannot send PMs yet due to post count.

Just so ya'll know, I have no idea how to sail (yet) so I'm looking for experience and practice.

Do you usally go sailing on the weekends?
Old 02-09-2009

nicholas829 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nicholas829
Eingeist:....e-mail Contact Info @ Msn.com
Old 02-09-2009

Nicholas, I have e-mailed you as of early this evening.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009
Older Salt

ggrizzard is on a distinguished road
No Luck

Hi
Saw you request for sailing experience in Jax.
Tried to send you a PM, but no luck.
Tried to post an email, no luck.
Tried to understand why the KGB or CIA is running this site, no luck.
thanks,
G.
Old 02-10-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You guys need to pay a visit to the 'Song chain thread' over in off topic and post a bunch of times to get your post count above 10. Then PM's work fine.
It is a SPAM protection policy - that's all.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.