Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009
Hans Christian 38 T

byronr is on a distinguished road
Need crew Anacortes, Washington to Hawaii and/or back

I am looking for 1 or possibly 2 experienced crew to help me sail my Hans Christian 38 from Anacortes, Washington either to Hawaii or back from Hawaii. I am particularly interested in someone who has done either of these legs before and can provide references. The departure date is not later than July 1st. We split all costs except airfare. Please send an e-mail to: byron51@verizon.net.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronr View Post
We split all costs except airfare....
.....which, of course, the skipper will provide.
Old 03-02-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
That'd be a nice slow cruise.
Old 03-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Are you at least going to pay the airfare for the crew to and from Anacortes/Hawaii???

IF not, why would you expect anyone to crew for you??? You're not paying them and you're not even feeding them—and you expect them to pay for to fly out, work like dogs—since delivery trips are not the same as cruising—and help pay your expenses??? Yeah, good luck with that.

It would also help if you provided references... this is your first post here... and you've basically got no credibility here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronr View Post
I am looking for 1 or possibly 2 experienced crew to help me sail my Hans Christian 38 from Anacortes, Washington either to Hawaii or back from Hawaii. I am particularly interested in someone who has done either of these legs before and can provide references. The departure date is not later than July 1st. We split all costs except airfare. Please send an e-mail to: byron51@verizon.net.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It would also help if you provided references... this is your first post here... and you've basically got no credibility here.
Whoof! Now, that Dog can bite!
Old 03-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
well, one-way tickets tend to be more expensive than round-trip tickets overall. Having to fly to either Hawaii or Anacortes, and then fly back from the other is two fairly expensive one-way tickets. Given the current economy... if the OP isn't paying for the plane tickets... and expecting the crew to share expenses.... it's a pretty lousy deal for the crew IMHO.

Also, as I said, it is this guy's first post... and references would be a good thing. He has no "history" on this site, and there's no way to judge what kind of person he is—in terms of sailing skills, temperament, personality, etc. If he turns out to be a Sully-type, there's no place to get off between the two... At least he isn't looking for a hot babe to crew for him.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-04-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
I know Byron. I've known him personally for over 30 years and am proud to call him a friend. He is in his early 60s and recently retired as I am. He has been on and lead many high adventure trips over the years including climbing Mount McKinley. In his early career he worked on an Alaskan fishing boat but that was a long time ago. He owns a sea kayak and has explored most of the west coast of Vancouver Island in it. He got interested in sailing as a direct result of crewing with me and I am one going to be one of the crew on the Hawaii trip this summer. We buddy boated around Vancouver Island this past summer. He and another fellow in his boat and me and my wife in our boat.

What WE are looking is one or two guys with a bit of experience and most of all with an even temperment. This is the most critical requirement since as he says the only thing that has caused severe problems in his experience with adventure trips before is when people don't get along.

The suggestion that the crew would be one way, either to of from Hawaii was his idea to allow them off without sustaining the entire trip. Cause as another noted, it will be a slow trip. The round trip time is estimated to be 10 weeks.

Finally, to flame him just for asking is entirely uncalled for. If you aren't interested just keep your fingers off of the keyboard.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 03-04-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
A couple of other things come to mind.

Byron has experience crewing on the Turicum from Hawaii to Vancouver two years ago. If you go to the VicMaui race web site you can see that the Turicum is a regular participant. So he isn't intirely without blue water experience. Perhaps if you email you he will regail you with some of the stories he "gathered" as a result of that trip.

Finally, this isn't a "delivery". It's a "cruise". We will not be pushing the boat and ourselves to get the last tenth of a knot out of her and we will be spending two weeks in Hawaii when we get there. The trip is intended to be fun overall and to give he and I more experiece.

The True Grace, his boat, is well found with blue water experience with it's previous owner. It is properly outfitted with the exception of a life raft but we will be correcting that deficiency.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 03-04-2009
Telstar 28

Dwayne—

My intent was not to flame him... but to clarify his post with some hard questions.

He says that they will split all costs but airfare, but he does not mention WHO is paying the airfare. Airline tickets are expensive, and two one-way tickets more so than a round trip. I can understand splitting costs if he were providing transportation to and from the start and end of the trip. However, to expect crew to come for almost a month's voyage, and have to share expenses and pay for their transportation is a bit unreasonable—especially given the current economic climate.

Also, it did not state in the OP that this would be a cruise, rather than a delivery, which does change things a bit.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-04-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
Dog it isn't meant to be that they are inviting you because they absolutely need someone they are inviting you on a vacation to get away from it all does the hotel pay for you to get to them...no, I interpreted this as an open invitation for anyone looking for a laid back vacation in beautiful waters.