SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Expedition Sailing Ship Needs Crew!!!

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Saltjunksara 
#1 ·
Come and study the ethnosphere and learn to sail! Unique ferrocement chinese junk-rigged sailboat needs crew for our expedition up the coast of Brasil to the Carribbean, Mediterranian and beyond. We are currently in Paraty, Brasil and will be heading up to Salvador, and the mouth of the Amazon in mid-may. Can join anywhere. Applicants must be ready, willing and able. No experience needed. Must be able to contribute financially. All information on our website, or email rvheraclitus@gmail.com

#2 ·
This is what I don't understand, you want crew to run your ship that are "ready, willing, and able" yet they are expected to contribute financially?
So we get to work our butts off for the pleasure of it?
Am I missing soemthing? Am I way off base? Please inform me.
What benifit is there in it for me other than the experince?

#5 ·
Hey CD—

Are you starting a fund for that, I'd gladly contribute. :)

TJK—

No, they expect you to slave away working as a deck hand and to help finance their floating concrete POS... :)

#9 ·
If you google Heraclitus you can find their site. $1200/mo to join their "expedition". Looks like an interesting way to go on vacation to some rather remote places. They've been going since 1975!

#10 ·
$1200/mo is $40 per day, and you're working and not being paid. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

#11 ·
Some people pay for that experience - and when you consider the fact you can't on the cheap live / travel abroad for nearly that not a bad way to go if you are so inclined. Not everyone wants to just sail and make a vacation out of it and from reading the blog and etc - it does suite alot of philosophical types that have to feel like they are part of a bigger adventure etc... Kinda think of it as paying to go a "mountain climbing event" or any of those events hosted by social networking companies that make money off of bringing people together. Some find value others and pay to play...They do promote themselves as a research vessel...

others find friends to go with....

the blog btw: RV Heraclitus

info on the ship website: Heraclitus - About Us

#13 ·
expect the unexpected

I would like to explain a little more about our ship, since some people did not get it...
So, firstly one thing to explain is that our ship is owned and operated by a not for profit organization. This means that in fact none of the officers or even the captain get paid. In fact even with the contributions from the crew ( 1200$/month which includes all food, visas and is even negotiable for those interesting applicants with limited financial means), the ship also relies on sponsorships and donations to keep going. There are no rich owners who sit back and enjoy the ride while paying crew labour away all day. No. In fact everyone helps out with mainentance and operational tasks, and the most labour we do is for half a day. Also crew benefit from learning not only the skills of a sailor and sea person, but also gets to be involved in theatre, cultural expeditions and exchanges and also developing your potentiality aboard a very unique vessel. Our daily dharma is much more than just maintenance and cleaning. We have formal dinners together where we do activities such as speeches, reading abstact writings together, parlour style discussions, also acting classes, morning meditation 2 days a week, and much more. Our ship attracts alot of philosphers, artists, performers and adventurers. Unless you have been on the ship it is difficult to understand it's magnetism, I know, but I assure that most every former crew member has had an experience of lifetime significance. I ask only of you readers, not to judge, and to realise that there is more to living on a unique vessel with people from all different parts of the world in remote areas than monetary issues and transactions!!!

#14 ·
I would like to explain a little more about our ship, since some people did not get it...
So, firstly one thing to explain is that our ship is owned and operated by a not for profit organization. This means that in fact none of the officers or even the captain get paid. In fact even with the contributions from the crew ( 1200$/month which includes all food, visas and is even negotiable for those interesting applicants with limited financial means), the ship also relies on sponsorships and donations to keep going. There are no rich owners who sit back and enjoy the ride while paying crew labour away all day. No. In fact everyone helps out with mainentance and operational tasks, and the most labour we do is for half a day. Also crew benefit from learning not only the skills of a sailor and sea person, but also gets to be involved in theatre, cultural expeditions and exchanges and also developing your potentiality aboard a very unique vessel. Our daily dharma is much more than just maintenance and cleaning. We have formal dinners together where we do activities such as speeches, reading abstact writings together, parlour style discussions, also acting classes, morning meditation 2 days a week, and much more. Our ship attracts alot of philosphers, artists, performers and adventurers. Unless you have been on the ship it is difficult to understand it's magnetism, I know, but I assure that most every former crew member has had an experience of lifetime significance. I ask only of you readers, not to judge, and to realise that there is more to living on a unique vessel with people from all different parts of the world in remote areas than monetary issues and transactions!!!
I can respect that and the person that would do that. It is not for me. And I would caution others that do it to make sure they understand what they are getting in to. I say this not as a deterrent to your vessel, but the reality of being stuck on a small boat with many different people for an extended period of time.

However, for someone that has a bit of extra money and could use the time and adventure (and let us say, a change of life), I could see the attraction. I do not begrudge your offering.

- CD

PS Still wish we could negotiate you taking Sailaway21.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
The types of people that would embark on a journey like this wouldn't need any kind of warning, or "word of caution" if you will. This is obviously one of those enlightening journeys and not something that just anyone would do who is looking for a sailing adventure. The people aren't "stuck" on the boat, and if they want off I am sure they would go to great lengths to make sure they could and get back home safely.
No reason to be so critical about this, since we know the journey/adventure is not for everyone...but neither is sailing right?

#19 ·
Come on guys, most of you either own or have owned boats and have crewed or used crew without compensation. So working for free is nothing particularly new to any of us. And we thoroughly understand that if you love what you doing it doesn't feel like work. Well yes it does, you know what I mean. The new twist is paying for the privilege. Under maritime law, would you be crew or passengers? What would be the ramifications? I think it could well be the worst of both worlds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.