Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009
Banned

catrigged is on a distinguished road
Want to Restore a Sailboat?

I need some help restoring my sailboat. If you are near Annapolis and can donate your time, supplies, and use your own tools, I will let you help.

Please only respond if you are offering to help. Include a list of 3 references.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2009
Marine: Educator,Surveyor

JHJensen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to JHJensen
Question What is it that is needed here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrigged View Post
I need some help restoring my sailboat. If you are near Annapolis and can donate your time, supplies, and use your own tools, I will let you help.

Please only respond if you are offering to help. Include a list of 3 references.
Catrigged,

Hmmm what kind of boat, how old, how big, what needs to be done? Do you have expertise so someone will learn something while donating their time, supplies and tool use to your project?

I think maybe you should give some more detail on what is going on here and what you are looking for...

JHJ

Last edited by JHJensen; 04-20-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2009
Banned

catrigged is on a distinguished road
It's a sailboat. I'm 43, 6'1" 200 pounds. The boat needs to be fixed up. People who work on this project will get valuable experience working on boats.

Last edited by catrigged; 04-20-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2009

Wink What type, size and age of your vessel....not you!

Quote:
It's a sailboat. I'm 43, 6'1" 200 pounds. The boat needs to be fixed up. People who work on this project will get valuable experience working on boats.

Cat,

I meant how old is the boat, what type and size....not you!

My point is you might get more interest if you told a bit about your vessel and your own backgound and experience in taking on such a project.

It could be you are offering an experiience which might be of value to someone that is all I meant. Tell folks what they will learn. If is is a classic old wooden catboat for instance... do you need help steaming in new ribs etc.

JHJ
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So, basically, you're looking for a handout of time, supplies and tools and labor.... but aren't offering anything in return... yeah, lots of people are just going to jump on that opportunity...

Quote:

JHJensen—

Not to be too cynical, but if he had skills to teach anyone anything about boat restoration, he'd probably have the tools and materials to restore his own boat...

AFAICT, he's just looking to find a sucker that is willing to donate TIME SUPPLIES, THE USE OF THEIR OWN TOOLS AND THEIR LABOR—since that's what the OP says...and it isn't enough that they're willing to donate their supplies, time, tools and labor, but he needs REFERENCES as well... Most likely, he needs their knowledge as well.

Sounds like a very choosy beggar...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-20-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-20-2009

Unhappy Awww Dog now you went and ruined my fun.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
So, basically, you're looking for a handout of time, supplies and tools and labor.... but aren't offering anything in return... yeah, lots of people are just going to jump on that opportunity...

JHJensen—

Not to be too cynical, but if he had skills to teach anyone anything about boat restoration, he'd probably have the tools and materials to restore his own boat...

AFAICT, he's just looking to find a sucker that is willing to donate TIME SUPPLIES, THE USE OF THEIR OWN TOOLS AND THEIR LABOR—since that's what the OP says...and it isn't enough that they're willing to donate their supplies, time, tools and labor, but he needs REFERENCES as well... Most likely, he needs their knowledge as well.

Sounds like a very choosy beggar...
SD
I agree with you but I was kind of curious...seems like those crew wanted ads we see all the time...besides you are so much better in the comment area..I knew you would be along with right amount of spice for the situation.

Wonder if it will get in the water this summer or not....

I still want to know about the boat though...not the owner

Jhj

PS...Dawg will you be a reference for me...
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHJensen View Post
SD
I agree with you but I was kind of curious...seems like those crew wanted ads we see all the time...besides you are so much better in the comment area..I knew you would be along with right amount of spice for the situation.

Wonder if it will get in the water this summer or not....
I kind of doubt it..

Quote:
I still want to know about the boat though...not the owner

Jhj
Yeah, why would he post his stats...unless you're a woman, we don't really care what your age and weight are...

Quote:
PS...Dawg will you be a reference for me...

Sure, and for a small fee, I can make it a glowing reference... otherwise, you takes your chances...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-20-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
this one sounds an awful lot like a previous post of someone looking for female crew LOL

My boat is for sale.
Old 04-20-2009

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
I can't believe anyone thinks this is a real post.

It is beyond stupid (on the part of the original poster) if they think that anyone would reply to assist.
Old 04-20-2009
Telstar 28

Lots of people got rich on the stupidity of the American public...look at pet rocks...

However, it is one thing to ask for help...when asking for help, you generally can't be too picky about what help you receive... but this guy not only wants you to help him but:

You have to bring your own tools—this isn't too unreasonable... I personally prefer bringing my own tools if I'm going to help someone, since I can't always be sure they'll have the right tools on hand.

You have to supply the materials to repair HIS BOAT—WTF, umm... it is awfully generous to be helping out in the first place, but you have to bring materials and supplies with you??? Now, I might do this if it were a friend of mine... since, they're probably going to reciprocate at some point—but for someone I don't know from Adam to ask this... that's pretty obnoxious.

And, he wants references... apparently, your good will, free supplies, labor and use of tools isn't good enough by itself—you have to have and supply THREE REFERENCES???

Then, on top of it all, he doesn't say what kind of boat he has, or what is wrong with it... so, are you supposed to show up with a tractor trailer fitted out as a mobile marine repair yard???

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmurph View Post
I can't believe anyone thinks this is a real post.

It is beyond stupid (on the part of the original poster) if they think that anyone would reply to assist.

Telstar 28
New England