Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, there was... and there was another thread about how some countries are starting to crack down on this practice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
Wasn't there a thread about the illegality of charging crew unless you are a licensed charter with a licensed captain and properly insured for such

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2009

CharlesCook is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I will be required to stand watch. Four hours on fours hours off. I did ask about skipping watches and the captain said if it is necessary yes.
Four hours on four hours off is a bear. I found I was really tired after a few days. A four hour night watch by yourself is a really long time. You would be better served having 3 hands stand watch with no cook. You can each take turns cooking.

Quote:
I will be required to stand watch. Four hours on fours hours off. I did ask about skipping watches and the captain said if it is necessary yes.
Never going to happen because the captain would need to stand an 8 hr watch and he will be tired also.
Old 04-26-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
John,

Hopefully things will work out well for you. But just as a cautionary tale, you might want to peruse these threads. After doing so, you may come to understand why many of us tend to be a bit tentative about embracing just any old opportunity to crew.:

Request for Crew

Atlantic Journey Hell

Second Request for Crew

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-26-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added more links
Old 04-26-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
I have a friend who crews out of Leb on occasion.

He has no paperwork at all (license) but is experienced as crew.
He gets 120 Euros a day, food and the ticket back to Leb.

Four hours on four hours off is tough.
Old 04-26-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"the illegality of charging crew " Nah, by definition "crew" are paid hands, and that can create all kinds of fun under international laws. What we call crew on a round-the-beer-cans race, isn't "crew" in the same way.

If you are paying someone else to sail with them, that's probably a charter or other business arrangement tolling a whole other set of commercial laws. (Starting with their insurance being void unless it is comercial insurance.)

It was only in the late(?) 80's that the USCG loosened their collars about "renumeration" from passengers. Before they made the new policies formal, if you took a couple of friends out for the day and they bought dinner and fuel--that was deemed "compensation" and illegal unless you were a licensed captain!
Old 04-26-2009

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
4 hours on and off suggests two people. That schedule is tough especially if you add cooking and eating, and getting your gear on and off. Especially if you add in the possibility of sea sickness or disability. Your ability to sleep may be less too because of the conditions. Three people make it much easier. As it is a delivery voyage in effect he pays for the food. I also suggest meeting him beforehand. A tired martinet makes a very unpleasant environment with little opportunity to deal to him or get off.
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
4 hours on and off suggests two people. That schedule is tough especially if you add cooking and eating, and getting your gear on and off. Especially if you add in the possibility of sea sickness or disability. Your ability to sleep may be less too because of the conditions.
Very good points.
Quote:
Three people make it much easier.
Much easier... since you can get almost seven hours of sleep.
Quote:
As it is a delivery voyage in effect he pays for the food. I also suggest meeting him beforehand.
Doesn't sound like he's providing food... he's asking for a $2000 fee, which is probably subsidizing his purchasing of food.
Quote:
A tired martinet makes a very unpleasant environment with little opportunity to deal to him or get off.
Meeting a captain and crew that you're going to be stuck on a small boat on, and any boat on a transoceanic voyage that isn't an ocean liner is a small boat, is a good idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
SD.....I'm not sure that I can survive on $10.00 a day for food. I eat more than that for breakfast (slight exaggeration) and I don't know about the rest of you but I get damnably hungry and thirsty at sea.

The passage Toronto-NYC-Scotland is some 5,000 nautical miles. Lets say at an average of 5 knots thats a forty day voyage without allowing for stops. That's a lot of vittles.

OTOH.....forty days of four hours on and four off is a pretty hard ask. One would be dog tired by the end of it.

Personally, a trip like this with two up (plus the cook ?) should be on a share food basis yes. The question is what's a fair amount ? I'd have thought around half what is being asked.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-09-2009
TEAM ZISSU

drobarge is on a distinguished road
if it were me i would post the boat name to prevent other crew looking for a ride from wasting their time
Old 05-09-2009
Lookin' for an excuse ...

TLombardi is on a distinguished road
I am a licensed captain, and legally (at least from the US) you can't charge someone unless you are licensed.

That being said, why in the world would you pay anything to this captain and then have to work? Don't you see something wrong with this? Take your $2,000 and do a charter in the Caribbean with some friends. The money will be better spent. Then look for a delivery where the most you will have to pay is transportation to and from the boat. Quite honestly, I wouldn't even pay that, but that's because I used to deliver boats for a living. I know what a tough job it can be.