Strong young man looking for adventure. Experienced and Hearty. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 06-10-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
capitanissa is on a distinguished road
being prudent

Dear Sailingdog:
I have supplied Mike with full details, contact with the captain and the website for his charters. I did not feel I should do this online.
this may be last minute, but it is only because we did not discuss the possibility of looking for crew online previously; I offered to help out because I am always on line for my multiple businesses. The captain of Anna, a vintage 1880's schooner, is not an internet type, he also has his hands full running his boat.
I may be new to sailingnet, but I am a veteran sailor/captain and liveaboard, having captained in the Med for over 16 years.
I understand your wish to keep things above board, I only regret that even in the sailing world these days people cannot go on good oldfashioned trust. I signed on an Italian boat crossing with the ARC, then I "hitchhiked" my way around the Caribbean and across the Atlantic, then through the Med -18 years ago, it was an irreplaceable experience. I would do it again.. if I had the stamina!
Regards,
Capitanissa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 06-10-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
capitanissa is on a distinguished road
contact information

Dear Sailing Net:
All pertinent information regarding the boat and owner/captain and their website has been sent to Mike via private messaging.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 06-10-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Capitanissa,
Thanks for the clarification. When you send info out, do the owners/captain provide references ? Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. This sounds potentially like a great situation for Mike and I hope he gives it a shot.
Mum
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 06-10-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
capitanissa is on a distinguished road
working out the details

I have put the captain and Mike in contact.
The captain of Anna is a friend who does not do internet so I have posted his need for crew on Crewseekers and Bolina in Italy as well as having responed to Mike's post.
Being that they are both grown men they can make their own choices as to the need of references.
This is not a service I provide, just doing a friend a favor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 06-10-2009
JohnRPollard's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 5,680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 10
JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanissa View Post
I have put the captain and Mike in contact.
The captain of Anna is a friend who does not do internet so I have posted his need for crew on Crewseekers and Bolina in Italy as well as having responed to Mike's post.
Being that they are both grown men they can make their own choices as to the need of references.
This is not a service I provide, just doing a friend a favor.
Captainissa,

That's great! Hopefully this will work out well for the captain of Anna and Mike.

Mike is a "strong young man" and will have to watch out for himself now. But we try to be careful here about folks popping up and persistently seeking information. I am happy to believe that your intentions were nothing but helpful. However, if you go back and read your first six or seven posts objectively, I think even you will agree that they would elicit a cautious response from anyone with common sense.

I had a similar opportunity during college where I signed on as crew with someone I essentially knew nothing about. We hopped around the Med for several successive summers aboard that boat and had some of the most memorable experiences of my life.

So yes, it can work out well under the right circumstances. And trust as always is still important. But with the advent of the Internet, the initial contacts tend to be impersonal so it's always best to begin with a skeptical eye until the situation becomes more clear. The additional info you provided here (and presumably to Mike) goes a long way in that respect.

P.S. Welcome to Sailnet.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 06-10-2009
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
capitanissa is on a distinguished road
Mike sounds like a great guy and really willing to be of all around help, so I hope it works out with my friends, it would be great for both of them, they are also very special people doing something very different and challenging, not every one owns a 18 meter schooner from th 1880's!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 06-10-2009
Cruisingdad's Avatar
Best Looking MALE Mod
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mobile Liveaboards
Posts: 9,894
Thanks: 3
Thanked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanissa View Post
Mike sounds like a great guy and really willing to be of all around help, so I hope it works out with my friends, it would be great for both of them, they are also very special people doing something very different and challenging, not every one owns a 18 meter schooner from th 1880's!
Welcome aboard Capitanissa. Nice to have you here. I hope you stick around and lend a hand where you can.

- CD
__________________
Sailnet Adminstrator & Moderator
Catalina 400 Technical Editor

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow me on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 06-10-2009
sailingdog's Avatar
Telstar 28
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 13
sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitanissa View Post
Dear Sailingdog:
I have supplied Mike with full details, contact with the captain and the website for his charters. I did not feel I should do this online.
Wise decision...
Quote:
this may be last minute, but it is only because we did not discuss the possibility of looking for crew online previously; I offered to help out because I am always on line for my multiple businesses. The captain of Anna, a vintage 1880's schooner, is not an internet type, he also has his hands full running his boat.
I may be new to sailingnet, but I am a veteran sailor/captain and liveaboard, having captained in the Med for over 16 years.
I understand your wish to keep things above board, I only regret that even in the sailing world these days people cannot go on good oldfashioned trust. I signed on an Italian boat crossing with the ARC, then I "hitchhiked" my way around the Caribbean and across the Atlantic, then through the Med -18 years ago, it was an irreplaceable experience. I would do it again.. if I had the stamina!
Regards,
Capitanissa
Bueno, Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet.
__________________
Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 06-11-2009
billyruffn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,269
Thanks: 3
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 10
billyruffn will become famous soon enough
CD / Dog / JRP,

Bravo Zulu

Last edited by billyruffn; 06-11-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012