SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Strong young man looking for adventure. Experienced and Hearty. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/54740-strong-young-man-looking-adventure-experienced-hearty.html)

Mikewood 05-28-2009 09:52 AM

Strong young man looking for adventure. Experienced and Hearty.

Hello all,
I am a 23 year old male from the northeast, looking to go forth into the world again. I have made small forays into the sailing world, having one bad experience with a VERY mismatched crew. I am looking to sail to warmer climes, working my way on your boat. I am willing to work ALOT, as I do that now (construction worker, drummer in a few bands) but would not be able to contribute much in the way of food (although, I am an avid angler!). To be clear; I am looking for a work for food and board setup. If this at all interests you, email me (due to the forum rules, I must be crafty) at twelvegaugedrums AT hotmail. and we will see how it goes.

P.S. I am EXTREMELY adaptable, and have lived in many different places in my short life. I can, and will, do anything required of me.

Michael J. Wood II

sailingdog 05-28-2009 10:10 AM

It would help if you said what your sailing experience has been, and what other applicable skills, like First Aid, CPR, Celestial Navigation, etc that you bring with you. Do you have any ASA certifications?

Mikewood 05-28-2009 10:26 AM

thanks for the advice!

Hello,
Thanks for the heads up. My sailing experience is as follows; Years of sailing on my lake with family, 6 weeks to sea with a cruiser down the east coast. While on this cruise I was the go to guy for anything physical (youngest on the boat by 30 years). I am extremely well spoken, can weave in and out of many different socio-economic groups. I do have CPR and first aid training, but no other certificates (Does a private pilots count?). I hope this makes it easier to see where I am coming from, as I am yearning to be back out on the water.

Michael

JohnRPollard 05-28-2009 11:39 AM

Mike,

You've got some good experience and a positive attitude. Now you just have to find a boat that needs crew.

You might consider contacting the Atlantic Rally For Cruisers and other cruising rallies to see if they have a "crew wanted/want to crew" list. Another option is to poke around some of the larger sailing/yacht club websites in your area to see if they have the same sort of lists. They may be looking more for race crew, but that is a good way to get practice and make connections.

Good luck to you!

Mikewood 05-28-2009 11:59 AM

thanks for the advice

Thank you for the advice. It seems that I will be doing this D.I.Y. (do it yourself) Style. This has always been my way of life, so I figure that I will continue posting on these FREE sites, and will hopefully stumble into something worthwhile. Now, I do know this can come with some problems, and I have dealt with them before. Thanks again!

Michael

capitanissa 06-07-2009 08:23 AM

position available

Hi Mike, I am a captain here in Greece, I am of US origin.
I have German friends looking for a able bodied person to generally help out help crew their 65 foot vintage schooner. They have two small children.
This would be an awsome experience. They are charterning in Italy from July 1, but if you could come immediately to Greece it would be better. They have just launched yesterday after a major refit, all done by the owner/captain, Christian. These are super people, we are older cruisers and have enjoyed their company.
reply asap!

capitanissa 06-08-2009 09:58 AM

Please Message Me As Soon As Possible Mike, My Friends Are Sailing Shortly And It Will Not Be Easy To Catch Up With Them.
I Can Give You Their Website And Contact Info. They Speak Nearly Perfect English.
Capitanissa

Mikewood 06-08-2009 10:29 AM

Interested, travel might get in the way

Hello!
Thank you for the message, although I may need a little more time to get to Greece/save up cash for the ticket. That is unless of course travel would be provided, but as this is off the cuff, I find that unlikely. If I could get there, I would be willing!

Michael

capitanissa 06-09-2009 04:28 AM

july sailing

Hi Mike, it is possible that you could join the boat in southern Italy the first of July.
Please send a brief curriculum vitae and I will discuss the possibility of you joining the boat with the captain this evening.
I will need contact information from you, so please send me a private message via this site, as I cannot post my email address here.
Best regards,
Capitanissa Christy

WouldaShoulda 06-09-2009 08:17 AM

Do any strong young men looking for adventure join the Navy any more??