Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Excellent... glad you added this bit of info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith409 View Post
For those of you who seem skeptical--let me offer this. I am recently retired.
My wife is still working. I happen to have some free time. I have owned boats all my life and I have sailed in and out of almost every harbor from Maine to Florida. I like to be on the water and I am fortunate to have time and money. So what's wrong with that? I have always believed in "boaters helping boaters"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Hey MR. Smart Yachtmasster. If you had any respect you would not ask if it is really a "qualification." It is not a Certification or Certificate. It is a USA Federal license. With a Real Federal Security Clearance. Just who does the background check on a Yardmaster Certificate?

This is the Federal law Covering the Master Of Oceans License less than 1000 tons.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=2002&TYPE=PDF

§
10.418 Service requirements for master of ocean (note the singular) or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons.

This makes me feel better.

So you are the master of your vessel and not the oceans, the same as I am. I've just never felt a need to hold a security clearance or have a background check done to manage a boat. If you do, well, I guess that's OK too.

We are only masters of our vessels while the ocean allows us to be. When the ocean decides it's time to take charge, you and I are both masters of nothing. Try not to call yourself a Master of Oceans, it sounds pompous and it's completely untrue.

And BTW, Federal schmedral. Why would I want to understand your Federal licencing matters?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-01-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up I was WRONG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Add me to the skeptical contingent.

Here is why: tsmith409, Join Date: Feb 2002, Posts: 7. Hmmm that's one post per year.

I hope that tsmith409 proves my skepticism unfounded, but we may have to wait 'til 2010 to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith409
My wife is still working. I happen to have some free time. I have owned boats all my life and I have sailed in and out of almost every harbor from Maine to Florida. I like to be on the water and I am fortunate to have time and money. So what's wrong with that? I have always believed in "boaters helping boaters"
Tsmith- I am glad that you have proven me WRONG!! (I've only been proven wrong once before - at least according to my ex-wife )

Let me also add that if you were a little more active around Sailnet, a lot of the skepticism could have been avoided.

'Looking forward to your 9th post!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 06-01-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Wrong a third time! - typo!!
Old 06-02-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
§
10.418 Service requirements for master of ocean (note the singular) or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons.

This makes me feel better.

So you are the master of your vessel and not the oceans, the same as I am. I've just never felt a need to hold a security clearance or have a background check done to manage a boat. If you do, well, I guess that's OK too.

We are only masters of our vessels while the ocean allows us to be. When the ocean decides it's time to take charge, you and I are both masters of nothing. Try not to call yourself a Master of Oceans, it sounds pompous and it's completely untrue.

And BTW, Federal schmedral. Why would I want to understand your Federal licensing matters?
Come to the USA and see if you can take passengers for hire with your Yardmassers certificate. We to have recreational sailing certificates issued by the ASA (American sailing assoc.) You are talking a boating certificate and I am talking a Federal commercial license that does it's best to insure passengers safety. We are apples and oranges. Now you can take your opinions and shove them. It's the system we have to work in and I am proud of my accomplishments.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 06-02-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
tsmith409,
There is a nice chap named Ian who is on an Allied Seawind 32' ketch who is sailing down the coast to Miami right now. He is probably around Norfolk, VA right now. Check his thread out in the 'Crew Wanted' section, his 'handle' is Taffy1960 I think.
I sailed with him from the LI Sound down the East River to Manhattan a while back.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-02-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Good for you, tsmith. "Free" hurts guys like me . but you sound honest and forthright. I hope the right boat comes along and you enjoy your travels.

Never Forgotten

Old 06-02-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
ts,

If you had put that in the post it may have held back some skepticism. The old saying if it sounds to good to be true......kind of comes into play here. High five to you for being willing, and able to help others......i2f
I have to agree ts. If you had been a little more forthcoming in your original post, you would probably have received a different initial response. However, you would probably have had to hang around a little more the last few years to have known that.
Old 08-10-2009

strucksteve is on a distinguished road
I often lurk on this site and rarely post. Also discovered i was registered on two different email addressess because i so rarely post. Just a reminder to the "regulars" of the site. # of posts is completely unrelated to a mariners experience and ability. If fact could be construed as just the opposite. Many folks spend their time sailing not web-surfing. I have met many who have limited or no web-access as they are are so closely tied to the sea: sailing, maintaining the ironjib, or oiling the teak. I do appreciate this vast sea of knowledge the "regulars" impart on the rest of us. Sailnet is a great resource on many a maritime topic with near instant reponse to any question. I hope tsmith is watching the almost full moon rise right now on a beam reach in the lee of an island with steady 14 kts!
Old 08-10-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
My guess is the guy is an experienced sailor (likely licensed and insured), but is trying to establish himself as a delivery captain. Without having delivered many boats, it may be difficult to get clients. Just a guess. Could be wrong.
Old 08-11-2009

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Quote:
I will deliver your vessel from Florida and surrounding areas to New England area (either way) free of charge. You only pay expenses. I have travelled the ICW many times as well as outside. I have an extensive resume and many references. Email me at tonysmith101@mac.com
Many insurance companies are requiring "competent crew" in order to provide coverage for a passage. "Competent crew" can mean a lot but generally it means sufficient crew to provide a safe passage. Many insurance agencies are now requiring a licensed captain as well.

There are many highly regarded non-licensed crewmembers out there and a number of poorly regarded licensed captains as well. It sounds like the original poster has lots of experience and probably would make good crew.

It might have been better if he'd posted "crew" rather than "deliver".

Oh, on my license it says "upon oceans", something I worked very hard for. That means I can take any boat up to 500-tons anywhere in the world without regard to safe port restrictions.