Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009

dtamburin is on a distinguished road
Need Captain to move a boat from Island City to Marlboro NY

Hello,

I need a Captain to move my boat from Island City NY to Marlboro NY (up the hudson river). I'd do it myself but I'm not keen on sailing through Hell's gate and NY harbor as I've never done that before. The boat is a 30' Catalina, if your interested send me an email to: jarkari at yahoo.com with an approximate price.

Thank you,
davidt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
David,

It's really not that bad a trip. Ok, maybe there is a little current through Hell Gate, and a bit of traffic in NY harbor. But seeing Manhattan from the water on your own boat is not to be beat. At the very least, you should go along for the ride with an experienced captain.

I bet if you asked here or around your marina, you could find someone who has done the trip a few times who would be willing to go with you for free. Just make sure you have a dependable engine and time the tides. You'll be fine. There's a first time for everything!

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

Last edited by NautiG; 08-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
People pay money for that sort of trip.....

Seriously, I've transited NY harbor twice. Fabulous experience, surprisingly easy once you do a little preplanning (I overplanned/studied for the first transit expecting it to be like that old "Frogger" game of a frog crossing a highway, with me as the frog).

Work the tides for Hells gate and its a blast. Stay tucked in on the appropriate side and give way to pretty much everything. As per the previous post take an experienced crew with you if you can. Unless you are an absolutely beginner at the boating game its a trip not to be missed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-15-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtamburin View Post
Hello,

I need a Captain to move my boat from Island City NY to Marlboro NY (up the hudson river). I'd do it myself but I'm not keen on sailing through Hell's gate and NY harbor as I've never done that before. The boat is a 30' Catalina, if your interested send me an email to: jarkari at yahoo.com with an approximate price.

Thank you,
davidt
USCG 100 ton Master. 35 years sailing experience. 15 years delivery experience. Will teach in route. Have references. Based in New York, and very familiar with these waters as they are my home waters. If you are Interested please let me know. Regards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 08-15-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I have done this trip several times also in both bigger and smaller boats then a Cat 30'. As others have already said it is well worth doing for the experience and fun.
Depending on the date you leave and the tides down the E. River you could try to do this trip in 1 very long day but more easily in 2 days.
I would help you do this for the price of a train ticket back from Marlboro.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-15-2009

CaptainDavidFletcher is on a distinguished road
I am a delivery captain located on City Island. Intimate knowledge of the Sound, East River, NY harbor and the Hudson.
718-885-3038 fletchersailingservices.com
Fair winds,
Dave
Old 08-23-2009

dailywarren is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to know if you've found a skipper yet. My suggestion is Capt. Rick Whiting. Salty, tough, honest and reliable. I've forwarded this on to him but don't want to waste his time because he'll keelhaul me (old school)!
Old 08-24-2009
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
You may find this page useful:

Currents and Tides - I Boat NY Harbor

Also note, the UN general assembly is back mid September and this may impact the east river traffic.

I did the trip many years ago in a 24' and it there were no issues as i timed the tides as recommended. It was a highlight of my trip from Boston to NJ. ( I plan to do that part trip again this weekend in both directions.)

ed