Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009

Hesper is on a distinguished road
Picked up two new crew on this board for this season's Wednesday night races. Both first-class people - smart, knowledgable (not the same thing) and good company. One stayed the season, the other dropped off the face of the earth after the first race. Who knows? But Sailnet is certainly a good resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2009

ramminjammin is on a distinguished road
a friend of mine was doing a cross the Atlantic boat delivery , they had to lock the owner into the forward berth
when he became unsafe and unreasonable
Old 12-09-2009

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
I posted this in another thread a few months back but it's worth repeating in this one, since it's right "on topic" and my opinion of Jesse has not waivered:

To whom it may concern,

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: I would heartily recommend Jesse Osborne to ANYONE needing an absolutely reliable, trustworthy and rock solid delivery skipper. However, Jesse’s real strength is in his ability to pass along his knowledge, experience and spirit in helping folks realize their capability to experience their own “taste of adventure”.

By way of background, my wife and I recently purchased a used sailboat in Olympia, Washington and were in the process of having her delivered to Seward, Alaska when our first delivery skipper quit on us after getting the boat as far as Juneau, Alaska. His unexpected departure left us in quite a predicament. We needed to complete the delivery over the final and most difficult leg of her journey (across the Gulf of Alaska). Crossing the Gulf represents over 400 miles of open ocean, known for quickly changing weather and notoriously dangerous, rough conditions. In short, we needed to hire a new delivery skipper and he needed to be a good one!

In August of 2009 we were corresponding with Deborah Altermatt of Sailing Inc. (a yacht brokerage in Seward Alaska) about our situation. Happily, she put us in contact with Mr. Jesse Osborne, operating under the trade name of “A Taste of Adventure”. At the time, Jesse was in the process of moving his own sailboat from Ketchikan to Seward but he took the time to call us and discuss our situation.

After meeting with Jesse we were very impressed with him and agreed to have him deliver our ‘baby’ from Juneau to Seward. However, Jesse’s goal is to be more than simply a delivery skipper. He agreed to take us along to assist him with the delivery. He insisted that our relationship for the crossing would not be as skipper and crew, but that we would partner in the preparation for and execution of the crossing. It turned out that, under Jesse’s mentorship, the trip from Juneau to Seward evolved from a mere logistical exercise into a true sailing adventure for both my wife and I. We learned more about cruising under sail, the particular systems on our boat, and ourselves than we ever imagined possible.

I absolutely cannot overstate the satisfaction we had working with Jesse as he quickly assessed the condition of our vessel and our level of experience, initiated on-board repairs, advised us on provisioning and generally readied both the vessel and us for the trip across the Gulf. Jesse demonstrated a depth of knowledge and experience that he willingly shared with us during our time together. His unsinkable sense of humor, self confidence and genuine spirit of adventure carried us through two arctic gales, mechanical issues, and our first exposure to standing watch 24 hours a day on an extended cruise.

Jesse Osborne is one of the most remarkable young men I’ve ever met and our adventure this Summer will remain a highlight of my sailing experiences .

Sincerely,

David Allen owner S/V Polaris

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 01-01-2010

verga is on a distinguished road
Jesse Osborn (Osborne) is a killer - beware

I believe this is may be the Jesse Osborne who left Alaska State Troopers with a reputation for brutality - leaving a trail of death behind him. He is known for killing a cripple in a highway turnout in Alaska. He is also know for smashing a handcuffed woman's face until she was unrecognizable. Check the internet under Osborn (not Osborne). The 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeal has just ruled that Osborn can be sued for killing the cripple (Casey Porter) - the act "shocks the conscience." Osborn is a major embarrassment to the Alaska State Troopers. It is irresponsible to recommend that people hire Jesse Osborn. The man has left a trail of disfigurement, brutality, and death behind him. It is irresponsible to suggest that people should hire him, and be alone with him on the high seas. Alaska citizens are outraged that Jesse Osborn is not in prison for murder. Do you really recommend that people really be alone with this guy on the high seas. That is a very dangerous thing to do. It won't take you long to verify this on the internet. (search criteria - Jesse Osborn, Casey Porter, Joseph Wittom, Alaska State Trooper."
Old 01-01-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by verga View Post
I believe this is may be the Jesse Osborne who left Alaska State Troopers with a reputation for brutality - leaving a trail of death behind him. He is known for killing a cripple in a highway turnout in Alaska. He is also know for smashing a handcuffed woman's face until she was unrecognizable. Check the internet under Osborn (not Osborne). The 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeal has just ruled that Osborn can be sued for killing the cripple (Casey Porter) - the act "shocks the conscience." Osborn is a major embarrassment to the Alaska State Troopers. It is irresponsible to recommend that people hire Jesse Osborn. The man has left a trail of disfigurement, brutality, and death behind him. It is irresponsible to suggest that people should hire him, and be alone with him on the high seas. Alaska citizens are outraged that Jesse Osborn is not in prison for murder. Do you really recommend that people really be alone with this guy on the high seas. That is a very dangerous thing to do. It won't take you long to verify this on the internet. (search criteria - Jesse Osborn, Casey Porter, Joseph Wittom, Alaska State Trooper."
Where are you facts this is the same person. You type I believe with no proof. I do not know this person, but just on your belief. I feel this is way below the waist. That's one horrible accusation to make on a person with no proof they are the same person .......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
This thread has certainly taken a strange turn? Who knows what's at play here? I was curious though, and found a few links, there were many.

Jury should hear trooper shooting case, judge says | Northwest News - The News Tribune | Seattle-Tacoma News, Weather, Sports, Jobs, Homes and Cars | South Puget Sound's Destination

Alaska Yacht Guide - A Taste of Adventure
Old 01-01-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
This does not confirm they are one, and the same. verga is on the border of slander even if they are the same, a strange twist indeed. Not to mention a very sad situation for those involved.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 01-07-2010

drfreddie is on a distinguished road
Dec of 2009, I moved my 31' Allmand from Destin FL to the Florida Keys after posting a "Crew Wanted" on here with Sailnet.

It proved to be fantastic source of finding quality like minded sailing people and a most willing, responsible Crew...

RedBayBob, was great as a partner on the trip. For both of us it was an adventure with a Big ride and mixed in where times of laughing so hard my sides hurts

I big thank to Sailnet for being availble for all of us and an HUGE thank you with highest recomendations to Bob in future crew adventures.

I would also encourage others to seek out crewing as it fits yours schedule, etc. It's a wonderful chance to share and likewise participate in "Living the Dream..."
Old 01-08-2010

gofishin is on a distinguished road
crew compatability

Agreed, Atlantic crossings with "strangers" is not to be recommended, though I sailed with the ARC-02, Fla.-Portugal with 2, the boat owner, (a friend of a sailing acquaintance), and a friend of his, supposedly an experienced sailor who was not, who joined the boat in Bermuda, and was asked to leave in the Azores, due to incompetence and inability to adjust. Another sailing friend of mine joined us for the first leg, St.Augustine-Bermuda and was a valuable addition to the crew, but had to leave the boat due to prior commitments. We were fortunate to find a replacement crew member in the Azores from another participating boat, whose owner was unable to continue on to Portugal , and he also was very capable and good to have aboard. Good to get to know who you'll be sailing/living aboard with before the crossing, though if conditions or time don't permit.... Fair winds. Gofishin
Old 01-19-2010

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Verga:

I'm curious...do you know Jesse personally?

Do you even personally know anyone who has had any contact with him?

Or are you basing what you say on what you've read written by a (somewhat biased) reporter in a (somewhat biased) newspaper?

Speaking of newspapers, I'm curious; what name you go by when you post comments on the Anchorage Daily News website? Do you own a boat or have any interest in ANYTHING nautical or did you simply join sailnet to carry on a personal vendetta?

BOTTOM LINE: I stand by what I said about Jesse. I know him NOW - PERSONALLY. I've spent time with him at sea, seen him under stress and KNOW him to be ABSOLUTELY trustworthy. I will continue to recommend him to sailors needing a DEPENDABLE, RELIABLE and HONORABLE delivery skipper. I can't think of ANYONE (other than my wife) that I would rather have with me at sea.

Respectfully,

David Allen owner S/V Polaris

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.