Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
I benefited from day sailing and racing crew lists before I had a boat and therefore support them as a skipper. Having said that, it seems that the number of really good crew list experiences I've had as a skipper are about equal to the really disappointing ones. Most recently, a lady responded to a mid Winter invitation with such enthusiasm that it pushed me out of bed with a cold to prepare the boat on the morning of the sail. I couldn't imagine disappointing her by canceling.
We had communicated several times via e and v mail, and each time, she expressed her excitement, including the night before the outing. I asked if she would like to bring a guest. She responded that she would be by herself.
She didn't show or call, and when I called her, her voice mail box was full. I sat there at the dock with a runny nose and sore throat, feeling like an idiot for getting out of bed! I was also concerned, as I thought, given her enthusiasm, surely something bad had happened to her on the way to the Marina. Two months later, she responds to a crew list racing invitation, apologizing for the no call/no show (yet offering no explanation), and showing the same enthusiasm for participating in the race! Fat chance, Fool me once....!
While this is probably the oddest breach of edicate, I've had several similar experiences to this, and I'm reconsidering offering rides. After all, I'm offering a day of sailing on the SF Bay, and all I ask is that you show up, or contact me in advance if you can't make it. This often seems too much to ask. I simply have to ask....why? Call me naive, but I had no idea that this many people are so self centered and inconsiderate!

Last edited by L124C; 05-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
A lot of weirdness and negativity in this thread. I'll try to balance the scales-

Last year, I crewed on a boat for their Wednesday night races and the occasional extra regatta/long haul race. I was on time, and worked hard for every single race. I shut my mouth and opened my ears and learned as fast as I could.

When his season ended, I found that I wasn't quite ready to be done racing. My own river club was hosting a Frostbite series. I decided that I wanted to learn what it was like to run my own program, including but not limited to:

Recruiting
Working up the boat for racing
Strategy and tactics
Training

The people I found were absolutely first class. They gave me plenty of notice if they couldn't make a race, never complained, didn't bring any drama onboard, and we all had fun. Lapworth here on Sailnet was one of them.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-21-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
The people I found were absolutely first class. They gave me plenty of notice if they couldn't make a race, never complained, didn't bring any drama onboard, and we all had fun. Lapworth here on Sailnet was one of them.
Glad you had a great experience. Where (how) did you find the crew? Maybe it's a regional thing. As a native San Franciscan, I can attest that many Californians can be very egocentric. Come to think of it, most of the really good crew list experiences I've had, have been crew from elsewhere. Hmmmm
Anyway - I don't want to be "negative or weired". UP WITH PEOPLE
Old 08-22-2011

Kaltenborn is on a distinguished road
Testing
Old 02-16-2012

svdagny is on a distinguished road
BEWARE of Guest Crew! We had excellent luck finding reasonable healthy persons on this and other similar sites, until recently. People lie about their level of experience, they say they´ve been sailing when they have not, they expect to be waited on, they think ships can sail directly into the wind, they don´t understand that when you´re out at sea, far from land, you can´t go shopping or buy your way out or dictate your desires, they get bored and sulk, fight and hide in their cabins brooding, and I´m now afraid to accept people on board unless I have extentive pre-boarding understandings. It is easier, safer, and definately cheaper to simply do our own thing! see full story at my blog dead link removed
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-13-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2012
Schedule? Yeh RIGHT!

LookoutNW is on a distinguished road
WOW, talk about eye opening....
I have been listed on Findacrew.com for a while and look very closely at the responses to see if they even match.
I have experience but will be seeking some others with more for my trips hopefully starting this summer.
Keep it going folks, I am enjoying this thread. But did I miss the story of the 'Mutiny'?
C'mon, you know you can't throw something like that intot eh mix without finishing it! Change the names and dates and LETS HAVE IT!
Old 02-27-2012

share_the_joy is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=svdagny;832151]BEWARE of Guest Crew! We had excellent luck finding reasonable healthy persons on this and other similar sites, until recently. People lie about their level of experience, they say they´ve been sailing when they have not, they expect to be waited on, they think ships can sail directly into the wind, they don´t understand that when you´re out at sea, far from land, you can´t go shopping or buy your way out or dictate your desires, they get bored and sulk, fight and hide in their cabins brooding, and I´m now afraid to accept people on board unless I have extentive pre-boarding understandings. It is easier, safer, and definately cheaper to simply do our own thing! see full story at my blog Dead Link removed [QUOTE]

errrrhhhh... nope, you're actually NOT looking for pre-boarding understandings, you are just looking for money, and people to make you keep living on your wreck, and eventually pay your tax debts...

please, read those threads about them, it is quite amazing...

The Cruise from Hell - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-w...tml#post832903

now you have another side of the story...

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-13-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
...all I ask is that you show up, or contact me in advance if you can't make it. This often seems too much to ask. I simply have to ask....why? Call me naive, but I had no idea that this many people are so self centered and inconsiderate!
Amen, brother. We maintain a crew list of 40 persons and more often than not take crew out with us. Most faux pas' are forgivable but being a no-show is unforgivable. One no-show and we scratch their name from the crew list. Not only does this show immense rudeness towards the boat owners, it keeps someone else off the boat who wanted to go (and would have shown up).

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 08-12-2012

captainpatty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to captainpatty Send a message via Skype™ to captainpatty

Interesting topic....choosing crew can be a tedious task, especially as someone has already pointed out there can be conflicting personalities and habits. This can be especially difficult on a long passage where you are literally chained to that person for several weeks or months at a time-24 hours a day. I have learned over the years through my own experiences first as a crew member than later as a captain, don't rush into a decision. It is important that you take your time, research the person (whom you may be hiring, or whom you are seeking employment from,) check out the references. Some questions you may want to ask of potential crew: do they own a boat, are the licensed and insurable, what is their experience level and do they have personal references as well as professional? Check with the insurance companies if you are hiring a licensed captain, they keep track of those who have been involved in accidents where injury to the boat or persons has occurred. Meet the people in person, when possible or at least do a face to face on Skype. Most of all trust your instincts, if you have a sense that something is off, than it probably is. In regards to posting a DO NOT USE List, while I think this may be a worthwhile idea, it needs to be done wisely. There should be some regulations guiding it, otherwise the potential for abuse and/or injury can be great, thus opening up someone to liable and slander. If there was a way to validate claims of poor workmanship then I would be all for it. I will just leave you with two more points for contemplation: 1. When I am captaining a vessel...on a delivery I insist on a dry ship. No Alcohol and NO drugs, of any kind, while underway. Too much can happen out there and you have no idea how someone is going to react under the influence. They may be the greatest of people sober, but get just one drink in them and they can become a completely different person. The next point again is for those seeking crew, especially for those seeking free crew....be very careful, sometimes you get what you pay for.
Old 11-12-2012

CheckedOutRob is on a distinguished road

I sailed as crew on several sailing yachts for several years overseas (middle east, mediterranean, europe etc.) For a while was first mate on a 130 foot circa 1800's gaff rig ketch (no winches!)

Our charter guests never knew **** about sailing and that was ok. On the other hand one french yacht (38 foot steel sloop) we sailed from Syria back to France had the best put together crew and the most weirded out owner. He insisted on sailing nude after a few days at sea (who knew!) and would always inevitable have his junk accidentally swingin in your face while trimming a sail or some such. Yuck. He was so grumpy and abusive that one night in Sicily, us crew were all out and got together and decided we all had the same idea to leave ship. We all gathered our stuff and left him while he was out. We laughed hard. What a surprise he must have had when he returned to see all our gear gone.

One skipper insisted on finding people in Gibraltar to pay for crew priviledge on a passage across the Atlantic. He found one person with no experience and one really weird depressed dude. Well, the newbie had such horrible sea sickness we thought he might pass away after he did not eat for several days. He was absolutely horribly sick for the entire three weeks. When we landed in Martinique he didn't even say goodbye and was never seen again. Oh, and that owner was an ******* to boot. Insisted on using his incorrect sextant sightings and plots while mine were spot on. His track actually went aft of our actual track by 200 miles but he insisted it was good.

I think finding pick up crew is fine. I still have friends I met as crew from 25 years ago. Just use logic and interview them face to face. Use your intuition. You subconciously know when someone is untruthful. It's always fun to find out about new people and their talents over a long voyage. Some are amazing cooks or have other interesting talents. And when you get crew from another culture you learn about their society.

I plan on singlehanding ocean crossings and several long trips. I will take on a crew if the circumstances present themselves. On extended passages along a coastline with heavy traffic and fishing fleets I think the need for crew outweighs the drawbacks.