Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013

windnrock is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback

While a handshake and a smile may be good for a day racing, if you are looking for a longer relationship, and that is what it is, a relationship, you need a contract. The purpose is to protect everyone by clearly laying out rules, responsibilities and any other items. It is read and signed by everyone in agreement. While many people say, "Oh, that's not necessary! We don't need that!". Yes you do. Nothing makes things easier and more comfortable than everyone knowing exactly where they stand and what their responsibilities are. I have done contracts for all sorts of things for many, many years. They are great tools for social/business interaction!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnrock View Post
While a handshake and a smile may be good for a day racing, if you are looking for a longer relationship, and that is what it is, a relationship, you need a contract. The purpose is to protect everyone by clearly laying out rules, responsibilities and any other items. It is read and signed by everyone in agreement. While many people say, "Oh, that's not necessary! We don't need that!". Yes you do. Nothing makes things easier and more comfortable than everyone knowing exactly where they stand and what their responsibilities are. I have done contracts for all sorts of things for many, many years. They are great tools for social/business interaction!
Do you have sample crew and caption contracts you would be willing to share?
Old 01-02-2013

windnrock is on a distinguished road

David I will look and see. Meanwhile, they need not be excessively formal, in fact they need to be understandable and to the point. Explain what everybody's duties are, captain and crew, who cooks, who cleans, watch schedules, rules regarding smoking or drinking, who pays for what, other transportation costs, what happens if there is a parting of the ways. All this and more! Include as much as possible but be specific. Captains, this is your boat, to many of us, our homes. Crew, you can and should make suggestions to the document as well, it is for everyone to be comfortable with as well as comply with. The important thing is, everybody reads it, understands it, agrees to it and signs it.
Old 01-02-2013

Chkm8 is on a distinguished road

I posted for Crew wanted here in November got some good replies ,, as a new owner I chose a gentleman "Rockdawg" and had a great trip FL. to Belize He arrived on time well prepared "much better than I" And though not uneventful it was good sailing thanks to his knowledge ... I would sail with him again anywhere ... Thanks Sailnet for the service of this site ... Chkm8
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 01-04-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Hey PB, good to see you are back on Sailnet. Thanks for the kind words.

Most Captain/owners keep quiet when they found a good crew; they like to keep them for themselves.

Let me know how the business is coming along

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-16-2013

peterconway is on a distinguished road

As crew, I was aboard Windward, a 45 IP, owned and Captained by Marty back in September . Great boat, greater captain. We had a good trip from upstate New York to oriental North Carolina. I try to learn on each trip, and on this trip I saw some great decision making. We saw some bad weather, and his decisions were all made with safety first. We anchored when needed verses pushing the boat through rough seas. A super easy going guy, with experience and skill. When I grow up, (55yrs now) I want to be a sailor just like him.
Old 01-19-2013
s/v Black Prince

stiffwind is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback

I write to recommend Rockdawg as capable crew to all captains. Here are some details.

I met Rockdawg on sailnet. After sailing single-handed for 3 years without any modern equipment or electronics (not even roller furling headsail), I realized that it was challenging, and certainly educational, but the more you learn the more you realize that single-handing offshore, or even coastal cruising requires some unnecesary risks. Although, I have no hesitation to single-hand, and will undoubtedly do so in the future, having a crew like Rockdawg makes any trip more enjoyable and relaxing.

I sail a Passport 37' sloop and have sailed about 500 miles with Rockdawg as my only crew during the last year or so, on several trips, including offshore from Rhode Island to the Cape May, New York to Cape May, and inside between the Chesapeake and the Jersey coast.

Rockdawg is a Chinese-American who is a doctorate level professional. He is a consumate gentleman, and is a renaissance-type individual who has a wide variety of skills that are particularly useful on a sailboat. His mission to become a solo-circumnavigator has already brought him to cross the Gulf Stream 4 or 5 times in the last year as crew on other sailing vessels, and his accumulated knowledge of every major mechanical and electrical system on sailboats is impressive. Did I mention that he is an accomplished chef and can prepare an above average meal in a rough sea?

Rockdawg is a reliable, knowledgable, polite, loyal, and skilled sailor, who is always advancing his education and experience in the world of sailing. He has an ingenuity and work ethic that is uncommon nowadays. He is comfortable with both taking the captains directions, or taking the initiative in making independent decisions to advance the objectives of the passage in a safe and skillful manner. "Reliability" cannot be underestimated when you pick a crew member...especially when you only have 1 crew! Rockdawg will be the last man standing when the going gets rough. He would always rather be offshore in a sailboat than most any other place.

Rockdawg has become a valued friend of mine with whom I hope to share future sailing adventures. Whenever I sail now, I will call Rockdawg first, and if you are fortunate enough to find him available as crew on one of your trips then you can rest assured that you will be getting a first class gentleman and sailor to help make your passage safe, happy, and successful.

I welcome any specific questions or inquiries about my experiences with Rockdawg as crew, and close by simply saying that I give him my highest recommendation and reference to any sailor.
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 01-19-2013

peterconway is on a distinguished road

WTG rockdawg, I tried to pay my son to write a recommendation that was half as good as the one you just got, he said "dad, you can't afford it".
rockDAWG likes this.
Old 01-21-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Whoa...... Captain of Black Prince, I didn't expect this. This review made me blushed. . Wait.... you forgot to tell that I am funny as hell. I would have been a standup comedian in Vegas.

On the serious side: Thanks for the very kind words. I have done so many crewing with all different captains/owners for the last three years, you are by far the best captain and owner I have ever served. More importantly, you are considerate and a fine gentleman in every way.

You know, I always tell my wife. When I grow up, I want to be like you. You have money, women, the cutest son in the world, boat(s), guns, good command of the language and speak without accent.

Wifey says: Dear, you already grew up.
Me: Hell, I want his in my next life.

For those looking to crew, Black Prince is a good boat to crew on - A sound vessel with a great captain.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-21-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Did I mention that he is an accomplished chef and can prepare an above average meal in a rough sea?
Ya got my attention right there, I had crew step on the boat and say "I don't know how to cook", I'd already paid his airfare.
"how bout sandwiches? can you cook them?"
"nope"
"How bout coffee? you drink it you must know how to make it?"
"nope"
"How bout I teach you, french press, you just need to boil water?"
"nope, I don't know how to cook"
I should have bought him a return ticket but had to leave asap.