SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/57391-crew-captain-owner-feedback.html)

Cruisingdad 08-24-2009 02:34 PM

Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback

I thought it might be helpful for those that have crewed, captained, or hired the same to give positive or negative feedback here. We have had some real winners ande losers and this might be a good place to discuss both.

I will make it a sticky. If your comments are negative, keep it above the waist, ok!

- CD

WanderingStar 08-25-2009 06:01 PM

OK. I've reported this elsewhere, but this should be a good resource. I recruited two crewman on this site and they were great. We interviewed eachother on line and in person. They examined the boat at length. We were all involved in planning. On the trip from Florida to NY they (and my local crew) worked hard and got along great. The weather was challenging, but we carried out every proceedure safely and successfully. I would take those guys anywhere. I also met other promising sailors that I hope to sail with in the future. Of about twenty replies to my posting, I found five realistic candidates who were available.

Cruisingdad 08-25-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingStar (Post 516854)
OK. I've reported this elsewhere, but this should be a good resource. I recruited two crewman on this site and they were great. We interviewed eachother on line and in person. They examined the boat at length. We were all involved in planning. On the trip from Florida to NY they (and my local crew) worked hard and got along great. The weather was challenging, but we carried out every proceedure safely and successfully. I would take those guys anywhere. I also met other promising sailors that I hope to sail with in the future. Of about twenty replies to my posting, I found five realistic candidates who were available.

Are they Sailnet members? Even if not, see if it is ok with them to post their names here. It might at least give them the recognition deserved.

- CD

St Anna 08-25-2009 08:47 PM

Anyway, just my 2cents worth.

We never have 'crew'. WHen on passage, we do watch on and off. As such, we really singlehand whilst the others sleeps/ rests. I am trusting my son to do day watches but as a Dad, its difficult to sleep at night if he is on watch, unless its a milk run.

Having a stranger on board is difficult - their habits, moods, drugs or smoking etc. The skipper is responsible for life and limb etc and indiscretions of all crew. Its easier to not have them onboard. When I was a teenager, I crewed on many yachts/boats/ fishing trawlers. There can be lots of onboard dramas if people dont respect your personal space or if they think they know more than the skipper and dont have the ability to respectfully give advice etc etc etc.

As such, most people could singlehand or with 2 on board. If we can, then anyone can!! I went throught the phase of bringing everything back to the cockpit - but have reverted back to having all mainsail stuff at the mast.

Singlehanded - you do adjust to catnapping and can get 6-8 hours sleep in total. With crew you have to trust your life and your property to strangers. If it works - then great - go for it. We all need to build up experience somehow.

davidpm 08-25-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St Anna (Post 516906)
I went throught the phase of bringing everything back to the cockpit - but have reverted back to having all mainsail stuff at the mast.

That's interesting, why?

St Anna 08-25-2009 08:56 PM

David
It increased both friction and line length and my reefing lines and headsail sheets were from the same reel of dbl braid - so I couldn't make a mess in the floor of the cockpit. The mast is very stable area.

WanderingStar 08-26-2009 09:57 AM

The two I got from this site are sailnet members, I will give them references if another skipper is considering them.
Regarding StAnna's advice, I agree that it is important to consider personality and habits. I crewed for another couple once. I'd known them around the harbor, they always seemed a little odd. But they offered to take me cruising, splitting expenses. It turned out they were VERY ODD. And they seemed to think "splitting expenses" meant that I would finance their vacation. I jumped ship. I do think it's very important to establish clear rules in advance, also to be able to opt out. Don't do an Atlantic crossing as your first trip together.

CharlesCook 09-05-2009 05:21 PM

I have done 2 deliveries with Capt. Jim (jim0123). A 46' Hylas and a 54' Hylas over the last 2 years. Had a great time, ate like kings and learned a lot. Hope to do many more.

Charlie
Master 100 Ton Inland
Mate 100 Ton Near Coastal

davidpm 09-08-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St Anna (Post 516913)
David
It increased both friction and line length and my reefing lines and headsail sheets were from the same reel of dbl braid - so I couldn't make a mess in the floor of the cockpit. The mast is very stable area.

Thanks

stpetersburgsailor 09-14-2009 08:22 PM

interesting thread

the whole idea of personalities getting along is much the key

perhaps a thread on interview guidelines
although that is always subjective

-JD