Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Anyone know if my 4 "free nights at Brewers marinas" coupons are transferrable to other boats. I have 3 left (even though I actually have 4, because DavidPM likes to leave the dock before the roosters wake up, let alone dockmasters). There are over a dozen Brewers marinas in NY, CT maybe even RI.

I could offer them to Nick as a reward for being sane and waiting until spring, and for asking the question in the first place. Or I could offer them to others on SN and AS.

Regads,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2009

frogma is on a distinguished road
thanks Brad, very generous of you! When is spring on your side of the world? And more to the point, when is winter? As I am going there saturday(Nov14). Is there time to sail my girl south, or is it already late?
I am a bit confused!!! The pilot chart indicate storm, and hurrican starting in May, finishing in december. If I listen to you guys and the Pilot, I'll never do the crossing
Can't I sail her south now, found a mooring till January when the cyclones are no more, and head towards azores?
Old 11-09-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogma View Post
thanks Brad, very generous of you! When is spring on your side of the world? And more to the point, when is winter? As I am going there saturday(Nov14). Is there time to sail my girl south, or is it already late?
I am a bit confused!!! The pilot chart indicate storm, and hurrican starting in May, finishing in december. If I listen to you guys and the Pilot, I'll never do the crossing
Can't I sail her south now, found a mooring till January when the cyclones are no more, and head towards azores?
This is too much...so tell us about the boat, did you buy it sight unseen?
Old 11-09-2009

frogma is on a distinguished road
I bought her on ebay. Picture and descriptif. She is a cal 34. Hull and above water just done. Remember, english is not my 1st language, so don't be 2 hard on my terminology

Last edited by frogma; 11-09-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2009

barnakiel is on a distinguished road
Nuts!

If you are Vincent Riou, then it is OK, otherwise wait till May/June.

b.
Old 11-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Frogma—

A Cal34 isn't the best choice for bluewater, and making a crossing in a boat that is relatively new to you in the north Atlantic, in winter, is pretty much an unwise idea at best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Frogma,

She sure is a beautiful boat. I'll look for you in the spring for a beer (or some rum).

Regards,
Brad

---------

1975 Cal 34 MKII:eBay Motors (item 320442551087 end time Nov-06-09 09:45:38 PST)

1975 Cal 34 MKII

Title: 1975 Cal 34 MKII

Vehicle Information
Hull ID Number: CA344101175
Condition: Used

Features
Type: Cruiser Rigging: Sloop/Cutter Use: Salt water
Length (feet): 34.0 Keel: Fixed Primary fuel type: Diesel
Beam (feet): 10.0 Engine type: Single inboard/outboard Fuel capacity (gallons): 11-20
Hull material: Fiberglass Engine make: Westerbeke

1975 Cal 34 MKII
Vehicle Description

Well maintained Cal, hull painted this year with Interlux Perfection, bottom with Aqua-guard ablative. Mainsail with mid-boom sheeting, roller furling jib, wheel steering, edson fold-up teak table mounted on pedestal guard, cockpit cushions.

Electronics include Standard Horizon color chartplotter, 2 year old Ritchie Navigator compass, Color depth/fishfinder, knotmeter, wind speed (needs transducer mounted on mast), VHF with DSC, wheel pilot, powered digital TV antenna, 17" lcd TV with integral dvd player, AM/FM/CD with 2 external and 2 interior speakers, 110 volt 6 gallon water heater. 25 hp Westerbeke diesel, fresh water cooled, <500 hours. There is an oli leak which I am trying to find.

Cabin has dual quarter berths, u-shaped dinette, 2 burner origo stove, 110v refrigerator, icebox, galley sink, full head with sink and hand-held shower, v berth with drawers and hanging locker. Sleeps 6

Currently insured for $19,800. Need to sell because I've already found my next (and last) boat. More pics available at:

Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum :: MyPhotoAlbum :: Cal 34

Question & Answer (followed by Answered On Date)

Q: Do you have any idea how much will cost me to move this boat to South Texas ?( South Padre Island) Nov-05-09
A: None at all. Do a web search for boat haulers.

Q: Its does not say buy it now so how do I know what your reserve is? and where else is it listed Nov-05-09
A: Buy it now has disappeared since the reserve has already been met. Listed on Craigslist in RI.

Q: Hi, looks like a very nice boat. What is the draft? What needs to be done to make sure it can sail / motor? What are costs to keep the boat where it is til spring? Thanks , Chuck Nov-01-09
A: Hi Chuck, Draft is 4' 10". Oil leak needs to be addressed for motoring, sailing is not a problem. Can be stored on the hard at present location for the winter, I believe would cost under $1,200. Up the cove there's in water storage that would cost $860.

Q: Do you plan on hauling out the boat before the end of the auction? Thanks, Ted Rapoza Oct-31-09
A: No, it will still be in the water.

Q: Nice looking boat. Does the boat have central air? If not what is all the ducting behind the potti? What are the tankage sizes (fuel,fresh water, grey/black water, macerator, y-valve)? Is there a windlass for the anchor? Do the stands come with the boat? Is there a cradle that comes with the boat? Do any of the ports/windows leak? What type and how many bilge pumps are there? How severe is the oil leak on the engine? If you would rather speak over the phone, please feel free to send me your number and I would be glad to call you for discussions. Thanks. Tim Oct-30-09
A: Hi Tim, There is an A/C unit in the head, dated but runs tempermentally. Fuel tank is an 11 gallon aft of the helm under the seat with the original 18 gallon still in place under the cockpit sole. Head is porta-potti, no holding tank in place. No windlass, stands belong to marina, no cradle - boat is currently in the water. The fixed panes have minor leaks. Single Rule bilge pump and Whale gusher hand pump accessible from the cockpit located under starboard seat. Oil leak seems to be about 1/2 quart with 20 min running, I'm goig to try and track it this weekend. Thanks for the inquiry. Paul

Q: HI Can you tell me about the sails? also any soft spots on deck can boat be seen thks bob Oct-30-09
A: See prior response on sails. No soft spots. Am able to show boat by appointment.

Q: 1. What is reserve amount? Don't want to get into nickel and dime bidding war trying to find out where to start. Been there, done that, several times. 2. What is sail inventory/condition? Retired ship captain, looking to buy boat, at fair price, on east coast, rig single handed, sail south, then canal, maybe Galapagos, back to San Francisco. Own dock walking distance to college (UOP) where daughter will live aboard starting 2011. She's been on blue water and lived aboard. Oct-30-09
A: Sail inventory consists of a main that is in ok shape and a roller furling 140 thats in good shape. Both were cleaned and restitched at Doyle Sailmakers 2 years ago. I've sailed a number of times single handed and have had no problems. Reserve is set around 1/2 of buy it now.

Last edited by Bene505; 11-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

If you haven't paid for it already, I suggest you have it surveyed (plenty of surveyors on this site). If there's is a big problem you can walk away from the purchase.

You might be able to ask someon on this site from Rhode Island to take a look at her too, but a surveyor could save you the price of airfare, and many headaches down the road.

Regards,
Brad
Old 11-09-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Ma chere Grenouiile:
Je te suggère de contacter Lorenzo, sur le site Hisse-et-oh, pour lui parler de son voyage Transat qu'il a effectué cet été dernier. Il ne s'est pas trop amusé - en plein été. L'atlantique nord en hiver est à éviter, surtout avec un petit bateau sous-équipé. Ta femme a raison de ne pas vouloir t'accompagner... est-ce qu'elle a une grande police d'assurance contre ta vie dans le cas où...? Autant plus que le Cal 34, quoiqu'un assez bon bateau de croisière cotière, n'est pas conçu pour les longs voyages. Les haubans et les étais d'un bateau tellement agé risquent d'être assez fatiqués aussi. Les AffMar ne te laisserait pas partir à la Transat sur un Biloup, mais la Garde-Cote américaine n'as pas les mêmes règles à suivre. J'ai fait la Transat une fois, partant de Connecticut au mois de juin, pour aller en Irlande. Nous avons eu deux semaines de brouillard, et trois tempêtes, avec les déferlants de 6-7m et le vent plus fort que le mistral (+ de 40noeuds) pendant des journées entières. On peut y arriver- parle avec Lorenzo - mais ça n'a rien à voir avec le Route du Rhum.
Old 11-09-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Also, I wonder how long ago the picture was taken, since the boat is now in the water. It might be an old picture. Best advice is: don't buy a boat without a survey.

Regards,
Brad