SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Atlantic Crossing - Are you game?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/59632-atlantic-crossing-you-game.html)

frogma 11-08-2009 04:12 PM

Atlantic Crossing - Are you game??

I have just purchased a sailing boat (34ft) in Rhode Island and am looking for a one person to assist me in sailing her back home to England! I'm hoping to do this at the end of January 2010. I'm French and have not sailed a boat this distance before, infact i have not sailed for a while! I was going to do this solo but my wife is insistant that i have someone alongside me, and due to her work commitments she cannot do this! So if there is anyone interested please contact me.:)

Vasco 11-08-2009 05:07 PM

You're a brave man if you're going to tackle the north Atlantic in January!!!

frogma 11-08-2009 05:14 PM

Well , I check the pilot chart, and was going to do "la route du rhum", but that was when i was looking at boats in Florida. Now that i bought 1 in rhode island, it looks like its gonna be the northern road, Favorable winds and currents in January. Is not it?
Any advice?
Thanks

JohnRPollard 11-09-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogma (Post 539790)
Well , I check the pilot chart, and was going to do "la route du rhum", but that was when i was looking at boats in Florida. Now that i bought 1 in rhode island, it looks like its gonna be the northern road, Favorable winds and currents in January. Is not it?
Any advice?
Thanks

The weather will be extremely cold and you should expect frequent storms. You might even be iced in in Rhode Island. Experienced sailors would not consider leaving at that time of year. Even during warmer weather, it is a challenging trip. Hypothermia will be a real problem that time of year.

You would be well advised to wait until late spring/early summer. You should also consider hiring a professional delivery captain to accompany you since you are not "current".

What make of boat is it, and how is it equipped?

Bene505 11-09-2009 09:29 AM

Beside the weather (which looks like an immediate show-stopper) that is a big trip to make right away. The east coast of the US has many nice places to sail to. You could do several "shake down" cruises and see what needs to be fixed. And you will get your distance sea legs back in the process.

I'm considering a trip to Bermuda now in a boat that will be mine for 2 years, with 3 others - 2 of whom have done serious ocean passages before. And that's in June not January. And that's knowing what additional equipment I need to buy, having fixed things that did not show up on the survey, having a thorough rigging inspection, and knowing what I need to keep an eye on.

If you are going to do some spring sailing, stop by Long Island and I'll buy you a beer.

Regards,
Brad

tweitz 11-09-2009 09:31 AM

Methinks there is some serious leg pulling going on here frogma.

WanderingStar 11-09-2009 09:52 AM

If this is a serious post, I'll be more blunt than the others: DON'T DO IT. Your chances of success are slimmer than your chance of dying.

frogma 11-09-2009 10:44 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll be taking all that into consideration.
Brad: I might take you up on the beer offer.
Nick

frogma 11-09-2009 11:05 AM

I am flying to RI on saturday,where would be a good place(not expensive and safe) south where I could moore till January/Feburary and then take the southern road? (can't wait for summer) Thanks

Nick

sailingfool 11-09-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogma (Post 539790)
...Favorable winds and currents in January. Is not it?
Any advice?
Thanks

Yah, go to the local library and get a copy of Flirting with Mermaids. Read tyhe author's story about his one winter Atlantic delivery - three professionals in a 70' offshore ketch. The net of the story was, the author proved the wisdom of his policy to never do an Atlantic trip in the winter...and a good read at that.