SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crewing up for Norway-Tenerife 2010

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  AtlanticRaider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi..
I have started the search for crew on brand new (even not yet delivered :) ) Jeanneau 57. we are going around the world, but first leg will be Norway to Tenerife summer- early autumn 2010 and then the Atlantic Ocean late autumn 2010-..
It will therefore be nice allready now to start gathering crew.....
No cost share (food, marine expences and so on is cowered) (exept you pay for your own flight ticket to Norway, and back to wherever you live :) )
Preferable with sailing skills, but novices are also very welcome. There will be done background checks on crew, so no "runaways", criminals or maniacs will be taken onboard (so dont bother reply if you are in that category).. especially people who has following qualifications is prefered: Medical/Nurse, Diving experience, spanish language skills..

please reply with information about yourself.

Fair wind to all

#2 ·
interested on your voyage

Dear Sir:
My name is Hector Outeiral.
I am a 26 year old trainee nurse studying in North Wales (UK).
I am looking to take time off from my studies to learn to sail.
My plans until you set sail are to at least try and obtain an RYA Day skipper tittle and become as competent as possible.
I am fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and I do have some previous sailing experience but limited to coastal waters.
Relatives of mine own a mussel farming business in the North West coast of Spain and since age nine I have worked as deck hand in fishing boats during summer seasons until 2008.
My overall goal is not only to benefit from your experience as a sailor but also to put some Nautical Miles under my belt and aim towards a Yatchmaster licence.

if not through this website,please feel free to contact me at the following address:

I am looking forward to hear from you soon.

Best regards
H. Outeiral

#5 ·
Good Morning from Canada. I read your ad this morning and jumped at the chance. I have my CYA qualification and have the time and money for an extended sail. I am 58, retired, fit, easy going, play guitar and cook. If you are still looking for crew, please consider my application. Thank you.
Fair Winds.
Wallace Bradley

#6 ·
Very interested

Hello,

My name is Greg and I am from New Hampshire, USA. I have been sailing for two years aboard my 1970 Pearson 26. It is a good old boat and I love sailing her and bringing her back into shape. I continue to sail for about 6 weeks after most of the other boats are idle or have been hauled out for the long, cold winter.

I'm 52,divorced, have 3 children who are working or at university (17, 19, 22). I scuba dive with advanced and mixed gas certifications, am proficient in emergency first aid, speak nonfluent, but passable French and .....I am an attorney.

Navigation makes sense to me as I used to fly small, fixed wing aircraft prior to the advent of GPS. I do not, however know how to use a sextant, though I would like to learn the art of celestial navigation.

I am interested in the first leg of your journey, but would be unable to crew for the entire passage. I should also mention that I also am a darned good cook.

Would you tell me a little about your own sailing experience?
How long do you expect to take on the first leg,?
What is the total number of people you intend to have aboard?
Do you have planned stops in other countries?

Hoping to hear from you and wishing you the best....

I may be reached at grcesq1@yahoo.com

#7 ·
Hi,

I am interested in joining your crew. My name is Teet, I am 36 Estonian male, living in Tallinn, Estonia. I own skipper's certificate that allows me to legally skipper non-commercial vessels of up to 24 meters LOA. I also own Restricted Radio Operator's license. I have passed these exams as I intend to purchase a sail boat and circumnavigate, hopefully in not too distant future :) My main motivation in joining your crew is to learn and gain experience on the realities of the cruising life so that I would be better prepared for my voyages in the future. My sailing experience so far includes only costal sailing. The longest sailing trip for me has been to Finnish archipelago - we chartered a Bavaria 44 with a group of friends.

My other hobbies are mountain skiing and photography. I have travelled quite extensively. I have scuba-dived in various countries, but have not bothered to pass official certification. I am fluent in English, but learning Spanish is still in my to-do list for my circumnavigation. I guess now it would be a good reason to finally start taking classes :)

I fully understand that setting up a crew is a critical task and one bad apple can ruin the voyage for everybody. If you are willing to consider me as candidate for a crew member position, please drop me a line so I could send you more detailed information.

My address is: teet @ markus.ee

Regards,

Teet

#8 · (Edited)
Sailing away!

Hello!

My name is Alyssa. I am a 21 year old American student, gearing up to graduate in May 2010 with a BA in Sociology and Anthropology. I fell in love with sailing when I was 10 years old. We had little 10 foot boats at my summer camp, and every chance I got I was out sailing one. This summer I worked as a nanny in Turkey and spent some time with the family on a 37' Sun Odyssey on the Aegean Sea. This semester at school I took a sailing course where I sailed a 14' Catalina Capri.

Though I do not have a sailing certification, I do have an irresistible passion for the wind and sea. I am familiar with the intuitive motions of sailing, much of the vocabulary and I am a quick and efficient learner. I hope to have a boat of my own within the next five years, but for now I am looking for the chance to sail and see the world with some more seasoned seafarers.

I am a certified lifeguard (though I think my certification is up this June...) I speak French. I took one semester of Spanish and find that I understand more than I can speak, but also have a propensity for picking languages up quickly (as I saw when I spent time in Turkey and Viet Nam.)
I have a lot of travel experience and have no problem being in a confined space with a group of people for extended periods of time. Countries I have visited include: Italy, France, England, Belgium, Sweden, Germany, Cambodia, New Zealand and Canada. I studied for half a year in Vietnam and worked in Turkey for three months.

I am responsible, reliable and have been bit by the bug for adventure! I work hard, but know when to relax and let loose. I am an excellent cook (and have experience cooking in the small quarters a sailboat has to offer! Not to mention being a college student I have learned how to spice up and make exciting most things that would seem repetitive after a long while…this seems like an important skill when on the water without refrigeration or fresh produce!) I read a lot of books, write poetry, dabble with various musical instruments. Ingenuity, innovation and imagination are strong points. I only need to be told directions once but never hesitate to ask clarifying questions in order to make sure a job gets done right the first time. My sleep habits can fluxuate as needed - which I know is important on long passages when someone is up and on watch at all times.

I love to meet and spend time with people of all ages, work in unfamiliar situations and learn new skills.

I hope you will consider me for your upcoming trips. I am interested in both legs (Norway to Spain and then across the Atlantic). Please reply to conley.ab@gmail.com if you have any questions or would like to know more about me!

Thank you!

Alyssa Conley

#11 ·
Hello,

My name is Adam Kane, I'm soon to be 30 (in a few weeks) and I'm currently living in Dillingham, Alaska working as a reporter for a small public radio station. Dillingham is a small town on the Bering Sea in Southwest Alaska. I graduated from university in Automotive Engineering (a field I most likely will never work in) then I left the US as a Peace Corps volunteer on the island of Malekula in Vanuatu, where I was often traveled between islands on small (overloaded) cargo ships and ocassionaly sailing boat. Following that I traveled for nearly 2 years through Australia/New Zealand, all of South East Asia, China, Korea, Japan. India and then England. Then I flew to Panama, sailed to Colombia and backpacked for a year through South America all the way down to Argentina. During my travels in South America I learned to speak Spanish very well. I returned to the US in April of 08 and came almost directly to Alaska. I came here with the intention of staying for 2-3 years and saving money in order to go out traveling again. Last year I got the idea to go sailing. I have been on a few boats and never been sea sick. I also am economically independent, no children, no smoking, no debt, etc... I have been planning my departure from here and I have decided that late 2010 would be ideal, so when I saw your post I thought it would be perfect. I am small enough (5'6") to take up very little space and I don't eat much, I'm very easy to deal with and accustomed to living in remote places with very few things. I also speak a few languages, although I wouldn't say I'm fluent in most of them. I would like to find out more about the trip you are planning. I have been looking at many posts on a variety of websites and I've seen listings for circumnavigations that may take 2-3 years, I would be committed for the entirety of it regardless of it's length. I do have enough money to get me through in some situations, including visas, food, and what ever I might need when we were on land. So that's where I'm at, please let me know what you're thinking. I would also be willing to fly to Norway for the departure. I hope to hear back from you,

Adam Kane
shortyadamk(at)gmail.com

#13 ·

Hello,

Interested in starting conversation either for this leg or some future one. Male, 62, healthy and fit, 30+ years sailing, owner of Catalina 36. Currently enjoy low stress cruising but have done Vic-Maui & Kenwood Cup (Peterson 40'), watch captain on delivery Hawaii-Seattle (70' Perry custom) and countless beer can races. Retired with flexible schedule. Wife also experienced sailor if interested in couples. Quiet and competent.

#14 ·
Uhmm I don't have any sailing exp. nor do I cook. But I like to eat. I get sick really easy so if there is going to be any rough weather you would have to go back to the dock untill the seas were calm. I can't swim but my dad use to take me out and we would try and run down seals in the bay I live on. I smoke 2 packs a day and I don't really like to take a bath much if thats ok. I love to take charge and yell out orders. I know you are going to need me because the last girl I dated said I would do very well to be out on a boat in the ocean. Oh I do have a few bucks but if you could help me just a bit to get some beers here and there that would be great. I am good for it. Oh one more thing I go for days without ever saying a word. Well cheers mate and I look forward to out date just let me know when you can send me the airfare and I will be there.

Just joking Good luck on your crew search..... Sounds like you guys are going to have a good time with circum....

#15 ·
Hello,

I am interested in being a crew member on your voyage. I am a 22 year old male from America. I have some sailing experience, including an offshore delivery from Florida to Virginia. I also know some first aid and am proficient in Chinese. If you would like to contact me, my email address is trevor.piersol at gmail dot com. Hope to hear from you and have a great voyage!

-Trevor

#16 ·
Crew

Hi, sounds like an interesting trip you have planned. American female currently living in Switzerland and thinking about taking the end of 2010 to 2011 off. I have been racing and cruising since I was a young kid, now Im a 42 yr old kid ;-) I have my CMAS S* diving certification and I speak some French and Italian. If you are still considering crew members let me know.cek03802(at)gmail.com

#17 ·
Possible Crew for 2010

Dear Sir,

My name is Mark. You seem to have quite an amazing sailing adventure ahead of you. I'm replying to your search for crew with keen interest. I am interested in learning more about your circumnavigation and yourself and your family.

I'm a Canadian, 31 year old male who made it my goal last year (2009) to be the best sailor possible. I began the year (in 2009) in St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands) where I lived on and raced a J27 sailboat for over 3 months - whereby I daily maintained her and learned all crew positions during this time (from skipper to foredeck, grinder & everything in between), racing (primarily at foredeck) in the Rolex and BVI Spring Regattas to name a couple. After my time in the USVIs, I sailed as crew (with a captain and one other crew member) on a Leopard 46 Catamaran from the Caribbean to Turkey. I then spent my summer in Ireland as crew racing a Beneteau 31.7 out of Dublin on the weekends. So my sailing experience has all been very recent, but I've seemed to have jumped into deep waters quite suddenly! As an experienced crew member with various skippers / captains, I'm polite, respectful, very good cook, tidy and will accommodate to my skipper's/captain's needs on a moment's notice.

I don't have any problems providing you with references from my skippers/captains or current/previous employers regarding my skills and character. I'm not very much of a 'careerist' in the modern sense. I find there to be too many challenges and opportunities for new adventures (and improvements) in my life. Academically, I've completed graduate and post-graduate degrees in the field of Geography / GIS in 2004. (I am a Geographer at heart and my desire to explore and travel has come to fruition these past few years. If you need anybody to read/understand/prepare you for the upcoming geography of a new area, I unquestioningly take great enthusiasm in this).

Back to academics.. priorly I studied Chemical-Environmental Engineering (late 1990s). My work experience is across a broad spectrum - from university teaching (seminar leader), to research (toxicology, biology and health sciences), social work (2 years at a local shelter in Canada), farm work (tractor operation, harvesting), construction and surveying/engineering to name a few examples. Currently, I'm working for a logistics company here in Ontario, Canada and have been primarily studying commercial / contract law outside of working hours.

If you would like to learn a bit more about me, I also have a couchsurfing page online with feedback from various friends and travelers who have met me throughout the past few years. I can send you this page via email, if desired.

I am leaving back to St Thomas (USVIs) in just over a week to race again this year (February to mid April) with open possibilities thereafter.
Do you have much sailing experience? Offshore? How would you best describe your personality? I have a few more questions, but I'll leave it at this for now. I think I've written more than necessary for a first message.

Best,

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.