Trying to reach remote atolls of the Tuamotu (starting from any airport of FP) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009

Mariehelene is on a distinguished road
Trying to reach remote atolls of the Tuamotu (starting from any airport of FP)

I am seeking a way to get to very remote uninhabited atolls of the Tuamotu Archipelago (French Polynesia) to conduct research on an endangered bird species there. These atolls are Tenararo (Acteon Group) and Morane, in the south east of the archipelago and Reitoru, in its centre. I can easily get to any place in French Polynesia that has an airport and get onboard there (i.e. Tahiti, Gambiers, Fakarava, Makemo, etc.). I am not a sailer, but would be extremely happy to help onboard (I am a hard worker used to tough field conditions). Ideal dates for me would be anytime from April 2010 to August 2010, but I can be flexible. I need at least 2 days on any of these atolls (longer stays would be better). If you are going this way and are interested in having one or two biologists helping onbroad and showing you the birds, please contact me for more information.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Trying to reform, will not post my first impulse.

So tell us the name of the endangered bird.
Old 11-30-2009

Hi! Thanks for your interest!

It is called the Tuamotu Sandpiper Prosobonia cancellata (Titi in Paumotu). I spent 5 months last year on the atoll of Tahanea gathering the first info on the species, but getting to the 3 atolls I mentioned that hold the other 3 populations of Titi would enable me to get very interesting new data.
Old 11-30-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Hmmm

Let me get this straight. You are suggesting that one or two biologists, would be willing to show the captain your bird of interest (Titi's)?

I apologize for being myself. (and a male) I assume you are also familiar with the Titi Monkey (Callicebus) ?

All in all, it does sound like a fair trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariehelene View Post
Hi! Thanks for your interest!

It is called the Tuamotu Sandpiper Prosobonia cancellata (Titi in Paumotu). I spent 5 months last year on the atoll of Tahanea gathering the first info on the species, but getting to the 3 atolls I mentioned that hold the other 3 populations of Titi would enable me to get very interesting new data.
Old 11-30-2009

If people don't mind spending a few days on atolls that they were not planning to visit or if they are willing to help biologists by giving them a ride, or if they are interested to see what ornithologists do in the field or if they are interested to learn more about the birds of the Tuamotu, I thought they may be interested in contacting me to talk about this.
Old 11-30-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariehelene View Post
If people don't mind spending a few days on atolls that they were not planning to visit or if they are willing to help biologists by giving them a ride, or if they are interested to see what ornithologists do in the field or if they are interested to learn more about the birds of the Tuamotu, I thought they may be interested in contacting me to talk about this.
No problem with that here. Sounds like an interesting proposition. I hope you get some nibbles.

If you do, be sure to check out the boat condition and captain's experience before embarking -- in other words don't automatically assume that any boat/sailor is properly equipped/experienced for this voyage. If you need second opinions, post here and we'll help as we can.

P.S. Have any photos of the sandpiper? One of my kids is an aspiring ornithologist so we're always interested in unusual birds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-01-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath for a positive response from any yachties.

The two atolls you want to visit are firstly, way out in the boonies (21 and 23 degrees south) and waayyy out of the cruising area, I reckon there are very few people that will bother going all that way south just for a two day stay. It's a heck of a long way from paradise.

Secondly, neither one of them provides any safe anchorage, both have closed lagoons and neither one is inhabited (which is probably why the birds you seek have survived).

So to sail a few hundred miles to stand off an unihabited, land-locked atoll? Not too many takers, me thinks.

Sorry to be negative but I know I wouldn't go down that far south when paradise is all north of me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-01-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, unfortunately Andre seems to have nailed it. Not going to be much fun for the crew, particularly if they can't get the boat into the lagoon.

Anyway, best of luck nonetheless.

JRP - google it. Lots of pics. or try http://www.arkive.org/media/2F/2F971...arge/photo.jpg

Personable looking little thing it is too. Supposedly the last surviving of six related species. Rats and feral cats having done for the others.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-01-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Here is another pic. Mariehelene holding one of the little guys ?

Tuamotu Sandpiper "Titi" Chevalier des Tuamotu

Good luck Mariehelene

Paul

Last edited by MorganPaul; 12-01-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-15-2009
Aupiipii Hunter 45Passage

Aupiipii is on a distinguished road
Je devrais etre sur Bora-Bora fin 2010. Si ce n'est pas trop tard pour vous, on pourrait se rencontrer et voir si ce que vous voulez faire est faisable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.