Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009

Bicyclesailor is on a distinguished road
Crew wanted THIS WEEKEND Ches. Bay

Hello all. I am sailing a '25 Ericson from Hampton to Annapolis this weekend (will probably take three days) with a friend. I could use someone along that knew a little more about sailing than me, as I know very little. We are both 24, and it is going to be a good time.

My friend will be coming down from DC, so if you are around the area we could get you down here. And I am coming from Richmond.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the gear I have. One thing is a 9.9 evinrude outboard...

Anyone interested?

John
Johnburtonwade @ gmail . com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
John,

A month ago I might have been more interested, but now --- brrrrr.

[And more importantly, I have to finish winterizing our boat this weekend. ]

The weather this weekend looks fairly cold, with the possibility of snow. Have you checked long-range to see if there might be a warming trend in the next ten days or so? Sometimes these first bites of winter take a week off in mid-december.

If you must go this weekend, be careful and dress real warm. Winter jackets, ski hats and gloves, for sure. Take turns sitting below to warm up, even if it doesn't seem all that cold at first. After a couple hours exposed to the wind and elements, the hypothermia can creep up on you unexpectedly.

Also, try to borrow a bunch of thermoses and fill them with hot water, coffee, tea, cocoa, soup or whatever -- before you shove off each day. Powerbars and Balancebars make good quick energy food enroute. Sometimes it's too rough or inconvenient to prepare food along the way, but you'll need that energy to keep warm.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 12-08-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Dress real warm, and bring extra gas just in case something breaks. Don't laugh, but "Ensure" shakes, you know, for the old folks, aren't bad at all.

I just did a frostbite last weekend and we had to clean off the snow and ice before we set sail. I'd be happy to help out but my schedule is booked unless you can do it on the 17th or 18th.

Where do you plan on making stops along the way?
Old 12-08-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Im game

I just brought my 24' Bristol down from Long island to Annapolis about 3 weeks ago. I would love to come hang out with you guys watch the wheel or just sit back a enjoy. Just say when and where Dan
Old 12-08-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Oh gawd, it is gonna be nasty cold! If you really really follow through with your plan this weekend please do a little research for ways to beat hypothermia. A long time ago I read about a few tricks like boiling eggs and putting them in your pockets. I gather heat wraps last a while, too. But honestly, January thaw is only a few weeks away. Why not wait for that weather window?
Old 12-08-2009

Ways to beat hypothermia 1 stay dry,eat lots of food, layer and keep a BIG OLE smile going [/IMG]
Old 12-09-2009
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
There is a winter storm pushing it's way East. Be careful. Consider a propane heater with extra bottles to keep the cabin warm so that whoever's rotating out of the cold for a break actually warms up.
Old 12-09-2009

Yeah talked to John last night on the phone. Sounds like its going to be a very interesting trip. I am going to bring my heater/stove along with my outboard/flare kit/extra dry clothes oh and coffee. I will take some pics of the trip. Worse case is that we end up on the hook for a day or two. I am thinking that after the first few hours if things seem ok and the weather/wind is good we should do an all nighters. Its only 120 miles or so. With the tide [IMG][/IMG]working with us we should have np in getting here in less than 30 hours. That’s at 4 knots. Dan
Old 12-10-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
winds are NW at 5-10 on saturday and clocking to the E around 6am on sunday at 7-12kts. enjoy, shouldn't be much traffic out there.
Old 12-10-2009

Plans as of right now is to leave on the low tide from the Hamptons on Fri. night at around 11pm mmm gotta love some night sailing.