Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009

ncstatesailor is on a distinguished road
Hampton Roads, VA crew wanted for Dec 29th

I just purchased a 1969 Morgan 34 that I need to get from Back Creek in the Hampton area... down to Portsmouth, VA. It's a 30mi sail/motor and my father and I are looking to have someone familiar with the area to help us navigate and show us the ropes on this larger boat. I've sailed 22ft boats before, so a little instruction would be welcomed.

The boat is in fine condition, the engine ran well 3 weeks ago, so we'll go up Monday and check everything out, and hopefully set sail early Tuesday morning to catch the high tide.

Would anyone like to help, or can point me in the right direction to finding someone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2009

rwcat is on a distinguished road
Help moving your boat..give me a call

I'm currently in Raleigh, NC, and have time on my hands. I have plenty of experience, and can help you out...but would require you you get me back to my vehicle or have you shuttle me from final destination to the starting point.
I'll have a few questions about your boat's readiness. Make sure you have plenty of fuel, and all fluids are ok. Make sure you have working VHF, current chart of area, cell phone with numbers for contacts at your departure/arrival locations, and at this time of year a dinghy. Unless you have had a through survey/inspection of items that could sink the boat, you never know if a thru hull, hose, prop shaft seal etc., is about to fail. In other words, always be prepared for the worse. It may even mean running the boat aground if sinking is imminent. Sorry to sound so fatalistic...but it is winter, and this is a new(used) boat that you obviously are not intimately familiar with. I love boating...and want to continue doing so. I have a USCG 100 Ton NC license, have taught sailing at private commercial sailing schools & also license school at California Maritime Academy. Would like to help you out...call me at 775 772 2229 (use east coast times.)

Regards, Ray
Old 12-23-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
NC,

Congrats on your new boat purchase! I keep my boat in Deltaville and would offer to go with you, but I don't have much interest in doing a delivery in December. Even a 30 mile day sail.

I mostly sail north of you on the Chesapeake, but I've anchored in Back river a couple times. It's a relatively easy trip from there to Portsmouth. But because of the short daylight hours, new boat and your inexperience, you should probably motor the whole way. I wouldn't want to be coming into Norfolk in the dark. Norfolk is perhaps the most crowded harbor on the East Coast. Manhattan may give it a run for its money, but I think Norfolk is worse because there is so little water to get out of the big ships' way.

You will almost certainly run into Coast Guard security and patrol boats entering Norfolk. Make sure you have all required safety gear with you so you don't get in trouble if you are boarded. Also useful in case you have an emergency If there is a small craft warning or really crappy weather on the 29th, I'd probably postpone for a better day. Better to be safe than sorry in December.

To find someone to go with you, you might head down to the southern most boat basin in downtown Portsmouth. There was a coffee kiosk there where local sailors hung out in the morning. Last I heard, the kiosk burnt down, but I imagine it was rebuilt. You might find someone to go with you there, or at least get some advice on the trip. Although, with Ray's experience and requirements (hey, I'll need a ride back to my car), I'd definitely take him up on his offer. Good luck and have fun!

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

Last edited by NautiG; 12-23-2009 at 12:42 PM.