SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Your Crew for Cruise to Hawai'i (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/62139-your-crew-cruise-hawaii.html)

Andywah 02-18-2010 08:46 PM

Your Crew for Cruise to Hawai'i

Trim sails, curry chicken, Little Feat; I would like to go to Hawai'i on your boat. I can provide the braun and finer skills that contrubute to make a passage what all those pages in all those books talk about.

I'm looking to crew on a good vessel, sail or not, on its way to Hawai'i. I offer my skills as a cook, single handling sailor, musician, and all-around able body and sharp minded sailor. My expierence is sailing single handed, a 27' Bristol in all the Chesapeak can muster for one year. I helped deliver a boat from DE to NY, 36 hours up the coast. I am not a captian worthy of an ocean going vessel, but good crew indeed. I've changed hank-on head sails in weather, and ridden the rail in steady blue-bird blows. I love it all and got to get to the islands of HAwai'i.

aw yeah,

Andrew

sailingdog 02-19-2010 06:09 AM

Do you have any other skills? Navigation, watch keeping, first aid, diesel engine repair, etc??

Do you have any certifications? STCW 95, Red Cross, etc...

Andywah 02-19-2010 11:40 AM

I was a certified Wilderness First Responder (WFR) for six years and Have been a CPR instructor. I can do basic assessment, monitor and administer health care: CPR, AED, treat dislocations, breaks, hypothermia, dehydration, clean and dress wounds. As a professional guide WFR cert. is the industry standard for wilderness health care. I can read charts and follow a compass but I've never ploted a course; navigated on open water, only along the coast. I can keep watch, trim; reef sails, track and avoid other vessels, keep track of weather and maintain safety on deck. I've worked on aircraft and automobiles, rigged in the mountains, on ropes courses, and some mast work; high mechanical aptitude.

I have taken the initiative and developed the basic skills on my own, captained my own vessel in the protected waters of the Chesapeake Bay in a a lot of conditions; windless to 40 mph (without a motor). I'm not a refined sailor; I'm green as far as it goes and some what stubborn, but I'm a diamond all the same.

sailingdog 02-19-2010 12:01 PM

Those certifications will definitely improve your value as a crew... so you really need to mention them. :) I'd highly recommend you learn how to plot a course, do dead reckoning and such, as they are necessary skills to have.

This is a little early for boats leaving for Hawaii. If you're serious about crewing to get to Hawaii, you might want to consider trying to crew for some of the race boats that go there... the Transpac and several other races use the Hawaiian islands as a waypoint, stopover or destination.