Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011

NeverLift is on a distinguished road
Greek Isles, first 2 weeks in June, 2011: Companion?

Well, I've posted this elsewhere, but this thread seems to have a fair number of subscribers. If not for you, then maybe you know someone who knows someone . . .

First on my Life List, aka bucket list but I find that too negative, bucket is a long way off: Sailing the Greek Isles.

I've lined up a great boat+skipper, first two weeks in June, my companion had to drop out. 40' sloop, 3cabins/2WC. Share all costs. Me: Male, 68, 6'0", trim, active, excellent cook. Sailed a bit (started on a wood-hulled Hinckley yawl from the 1940's, all manual). Not interested in forming a larger group.

Intent is to wander with guidance, swim/snorkel, find isles to hike/walk antiquities or just experience new places and people. And, of course, good food and fun in tavernas, definitely off the beaten track, avoiding places densely populated by tourists (like us?).

(Wandering with guidance: Actually, being a systems analyst, I'd already researched possible boat sources, skippers, pretty thoroughly, will do so re destinations, in concert with companion and skipper, of course. Just want to remain open to improvisation; if we find an island where we want to spend several days, so be it, for example.)

For the hesitant: Can supply reference to female friend that was to accompany me, will confirm I'm honest, trustworthy, loyal, and prepared, passed test for knot tying badge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Good point

Pretty common I would say but, it also works in reverse.

Relationships are never easy in the long run. It's best to be upfront and honest but when someone is in the "dating" phase...

Maybe thats why there are so few relationships that work in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
This is sort of a side note: has anyone had the experience of finding the "Mr./Ms. Right" who seems to share your passion for sailing, only to find, once the relationship becomes more serious, that they do not really like sailing as much as you came to believe?

(Come to think about it.....I hope this isn't too crass......same thing with blow_j_o_bs)

Sailing for me is a passion: I could easily spend all my free time on the water. It is tough finding a partner that enjoys it as much. I guess life and love is a compromise.
Old 01-17-2011
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
LOL "...the "dating" phase..." I love it. That's where they tell you whatever they think you want to hear.

The stark reality is that men fall in love with their boats and the sea. The great majority of women tolerate this obsession..at best. At worst, the guy ends up selling his boat as the price he pays for a relationship. It's the extremely rare lady who would actually enjoy sailing and/or life on a boat.

Keep at it guys... the odds are against you but if you don't try, you won't succeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2011

Slayer is on a distinguished road
I think you nailed it TropicCat.
Old 01-19-2011
Macgregor 26 M Captain wo

falconxp is on a distinguished road
sailed 72 ft. cat canvasback for 60 days, marshal islands to S F cal
6 fellow and cook
great trip/ good cook more important to great Buns