Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Did someone describe it as a "death trap"?

The only time I made that trip from Abaco north, we were much earlier in the season and chose Beaufort after studying our options carefully. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to go around Hatteras with the right forecast.

But it's worth mentioning that it's much easier to predict the weather out there when jumping off from Little Creek, VA and heading south, than it is coming from the other direction. Especially if the boat doesn't have the sophisticated weather information aboard -- as many don't. We didn't, and that certainly influenced our decision making.
I was responding to this characterization:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Cape Hatteras, one of the three Graveyards of the Atlantic, is a nasty bit of sailing, and best to be avoided if at all possible. It can be easily avoided by going inside at Beaufort, NC and then taking the iCW north to Norfolk, VA.
I've done at least as many Northbound passages as Southbound ones. An SSB radio like the Kaito KA1103 (~$100) and wefax software on a laptop will give you everything NOAA/NWS has to offer. I pack this gear on deliveries with no strain.

In my opinion, getting good weather information is 1) important, 2) cheaper to provide for than many people think, and 3) easier to interpret than "common knowledge" would lead you to believe.

The biggest issue in my experience is deciding when and where to cross the Gulf Stream. I generally cross as far North as possible, but sometimes it is better to cross a little further down.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010

CharlesCook is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacq2bacq View Post
While the discussion might better belong on the "captain/crew references" thread I found last night, I'll ask here anyway: do any of you know who jim0123r is in reality, and what reference would you provide if so?
I have crewed for Jim 2 times this will be my 3rd. He is a great guy knows what he is doing and very safe.

Charlie
Old 03-13-2010
Great Captain!

jim0123r is on a distinguished road
As a captain who has made this trip plenty if times, I do know what Cpoe Hatteras is all about. We will be paying strict attention to existing and forecasted weather from at least four highly tespected sources at that point. The Intracoasral is not an option as the boat draws 6'6".

This is a sturdy offshore boat - direct competitor to the top tier of Oyster, Hallberg-Rassy, Passport, Swan, etc. I have delivered Hylases for years - always outside Hatteras - and have never had any concerns at all.

The issue about my "screen name" I don't even understand. Sometimes I use the "r" and sometimes I don't. I can't keep the sites straight and sometimes make a mistake. I understand some possible concern but there's nothing devious about it.
Old 03-14-2010

bacq2bacq is on a distinguished road
Jim: An excellent reason for not using the ICW: the boat won't fit!

I have often admired Hylases (Hylas's? Hylasses?) in their ads, and certainly believe you with respect to their ruggedness and seaworthiness.

I always try to triangulate in on those with whom I have only interacted electronically, please do not think ill of me for wanting to ensure that the "jim0123" given the glowing reference by Charles Cook on another thread and "jim0123r" who initiated this thread were in fact one and the same, and you. A closed issue.

Whether or not I wind up crewing for you on this delivery, I wish you fair weather and winds. There is certainly no shortage of wind around Abaco as I type this now!

Ben Bacque
Old 03-15-2010
Great Captain!

jim0123r is on a distinguished road
I wanted to clear up a possible misunderstandimg, pointed out by a respondent

Airfares to and from the boat will be reimbursed. Naturally, provisions are also provided.

By "non-paid position", I only meant there would be no daily wage paid.
Old 03-21-2010
Lookin' for an excuse ...

TLombardi is on a distinguished road
I've gone around Hatteras a few times and inside from and to Beaufort. I prefer going around Haterras to save the time it takes to go inside up the ICW. One thing you need to check out if there is even the remotest possiblity of going in at Beaufort. Will your mast clear the bridges? It's been quite a few years since my last trip through there, but i recall one low bridge in particular somewhere up the ICW.
Old 03-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely clarified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim0123r View Post
I wanted to clear up a possible misunderstandimg, pointed out by a respondent

Airfares to and from the boat will be reimbursed. Naturally, provisions are also provided.

By "non-paid position", I only meant there would be no daily wage paid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
If Ben's "maybe" turns into a "no", I'm see if I can swing it. I'll email you telling you how great I am.
Old 03-23-2010

bacq2bacq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailbunnySPU View Post
If Ben's "maybe" turns into a "no", I'm see if I can swing it. I'll email you telling you how great I am.
Looks like I have competition! The maybe-meter has definitely swung towards "beg" in the interim, so I'll have to put on my selling shoes, if I want later to put on my sailing shoes. It's emails at dawn then!
ben
Old 03-23-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
No sweat, I'm only interested if you can't go. I don't want a nemesis out on the open sea.