SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Crew Wanted - Maxi 80 - Caribbean to Europe (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/62941-crew-wanted-maxi-80-caribbean-europe.html)

BrendanChandler 03-16-2010 01:25 PM

Crew Wanted - Maxi 80 - Caribbean to Europe

am planning to deliver a Maxi 80 from Barbados to Holland, starting late April and probably calling at Antigua or St Martin and then the Azores for a short rest before sailing on to Holland. Total time 5/6 weeks approx.
Whereas the Maxi 80 is an ocean racer, I plan the delivery as a gentle voyage to deliver the boat in good condition.
I am now looking for crew to join in Barbados and as we have been discussing crewing thought that you might be interested. Crew would be expected to watchkeep, take turns at cooking, boat maintenance and would be expected to contribute.
Please let me know if you are interested.
Brendan
www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk<O:p</O:p

sailingdog 03-16-2010 02:39 PM

Brendan—

First, you might want to edit your post so it is readable.

Will you be reimbursing for airfare to and from the delivery endpoints. Will the crew have to pay any costs? Are these paid positions?

LunaMex 03-19-2010 02:37 PM

Hey

Hi Brendan,
I'm very interested in being part of your crew. I can work in any of the positions listed above with my whole heart in it. I can even keep the sirens away so they don't take hold of the boat :)
Do you have a date in mind to meet the crew in Barbados? Do you want cooperation with the expenses?
Hope to hear from you,

L.

sailingdog 03-19-2010 03:15 PM

The crew would be expected to CONTRIBUTE??? WTF??? Contribute what? To pay for the upkeep of the boat? To pay for the food they're going to eat??? Last I checked, most UNPAID crew positions at least had the captain FEEDING THE CREW.

From the OP's website:

Quote:

Perhaps this is your opportunity to accumulate miles and Blue Water experience this year.

I will also need to know your availability and the longest passages you are willing to consider.

Tuition can be arranged for all levels if required and tailored to your needs.
WTF... if you're crewing, why are you required to pay... he's making money from doing the delivery... and supplying the crew... so, why is the crew required to pay to work their asses off...

Quote:

Crew would be expected to watchkeep, take turns at cooking, boat maintenance and would be expected to contribute.

Cruisingdad 03-19-2010 03:36 PM

Well, let me just say that I would love to crew on a Maxi. Heck, I would love to do the Newport race. What a ride and experience, huh?

Hey Brendan, I am not doubting anything you are doing, but it seems to this sailor that sailing that kind of boat with an unexperiencexd crew is risky. Expensvie boat. Aren't they a bit tempermental too? Wouldn't you be better off getting a solid crew with solid resumes and solid offshore time to deliver?

If the owner picked you to sail his million dollar race machine across the Atlantic, I am sure you know your business so I will just butt out. But if I owned a maxi, I would want the very best sailing her across the pond. Experienced, solid, offshore crew and preferably offshore racers. A bunch of paying novices at the wheel of that thing seems, well, dangerous to me.

But I have never sailed one (would love to though). Goo dluck. Do not mena to second guess, I am just a bit surprised.

Brian

sailingdog 03-19-2010 05:50 PM

Yes, sailing a Maxi is a relatively unique experience, but you do make some awfully good points. I know, if I owned a Maxi, and was paying a delivery captain who said he could provide crew, I would expect him to at least feed his crew and have a professional delivery crew do the delivery.

smackdaddy 03-19-2010 06:00 PM

Not yet having found the International Regulations for Crewing book, I'll fall into CD's camp. Many ways to do many different things.

For example, if it were just a couple of greenhorn crew positions in the midst of a very seasoned crew and skipper on a Maxi, I'd actually pay to be part of that. Hellzyeah. What an experience.

Since we don't really know any of the above...as CD says...Goo dluck (whatever that means)

...and crewviat emptor.

ughmo2000 03-19-2010 11:16 PM

Not only is this guy getting paid to deliver the boat he wants to charge his crew. I wonder if the owner knows he's selling berths. I wouldn't want novice crew sailing my big dollar yacht across.

Crew provides a service to skippers who, for whatever reason, can't, or rather not make long passages by themselves. They get just as tired, cold, wet, and miserable as owners or delivery captains. Since this guy is getting paid it seems the least he could do is feed his crew.

Just my opinion.

sailingdog 03-19-2010 11:27 PM

Exactly my point... bad enough that you're going to have to work your tail off... and a long delivery is just that... hard work. I know if I were the boat owner, I'd be rather pissed that the delivery captain I AM PAYING was SELLING berths rather than getting the best qualified crew for the trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ughmo2000 (Post 582887)
Not only is this guy getting paid to deliver the boat he wants to charge his crew. I wonder if the owner knows he's selling berths. I wouldn't want novice crew sailing my big dollar yacht across.

Crew provides a service to skippers who, for whatever reason, can't, or rather not make long passages by themselves. They get just as tired, cold, wet, and miserable as owners or delivery captains. Since this guy is getting paid it seems the least he could do is feed his crew.

Just my opinion.

BTW, did anyone read the OP's website? There's a line I found quite humorous.

Quote:

I am Buddhist and try to live and do business ethically
Apparently, doing business ethically means squeezing everyone you can for every penny you can.

puddlepirate 03-20-2010 12:15 AM

I love how everyone just jumps to conclusions and attacks this guy based on a single post....