Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010

BrendanChandler is on a distinguished road
Crew Wanted - Maxi 80 - Caribbean to Europe

am planning to deliver a Maxi 80 from Barbados to Holland, starting late April and probably calling at Antigua or St Martin and then the Azores for a short rest before sailing on to Holland. Total time 5/6 weeks approx.
Whereas the Maxi 80 is an ocean racer, I plan the delivery as a gentle voyage to deliver the boat in good condition.
I am now looking for crew to join in Barbados and as we have been discussing crewing thought that you might be interested. Crew would be expected to watchkeep, take turns at cooking, boat maintenance and would be expected to contribute.
Please let me know if you are interested.
Brendan
www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk

Last edited by BrendanChandler; 03-16-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Correct link
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brendan—

First, you might want to edit your post so it is readable.

Will you be reimbursing for airfare to and from the delivery endpoints. Will the crew have to pay any costs? Are these paid positions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2010
Boat to Africa

LunaMex is on a distinguished road
Hey

Hi Brendan,
I'm very interested in being part of your crew. I can work in any of the positions listed above with my whole heart in it. I can even keep the sirens away so they don't take hold of the boat
Do you have a date in mind to meet the crew in Barbados? Do you want cooperation with the expenses?
Hope to hear from you,

L.
Old 03-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The crew would be expected to CONTRIBUTE??? WTF??? Contribute what? To pay for the upkeep of the boat? To pay for the food they're going to eat??? Last I checked, most UNPAID crew positions at least had the captain FEEDING THE CREW.

From the OP's website:

Quote:
Perhaps this is your opportunity to accumulate miles and Blue Water experience this year.

I will also need to know your availability and the longest passages you are willing to consider.

Tuition can be arranged for all levels if required and tailored to your needs.
WTF... if you're crewing, why are you required to pay... he's making money from doing the delivery... and supplying the crew... so, why is the crew required to pay to work their asses off...

Quote:
Crew would be expected to watchkeep, take turns at cooking, boat maintenance and would be expected to contribute.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-19-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, let me just say that I would love to crew on a Maxi. Heck, I would love to do the Newport race. What a ride and experience, huh?

Hey Brendan, I am not doubting anything you are doing, but it seems to this sailor that sailing that kind of boat with an unexperiencexd crew is risky. Expensvie boat. Aren't they a bit tempermental too? Wouldn't you be better off getting a solid crew with solid resumes and solid offshore time to deliver?

If the owner picked you to sail his million dollar race machine across the Atlantic, I am sure you know your business so I will just butt out. But if I owned a maxi, I would want the very best sailing her across the pond. Experienced, solid, offshore crew and preferably offshore racers. A bunch of paying novices at the wheel of that thing seems, well, dangerous to me.

But I have never sailed one (would love to though). Goo dluck. Do not mena to second guess, I am just a bit surprised.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-19-2010
Telstar 28

Yes, sailing a Maxi is a relatively unique experience, but you do make some awfully good points. I know, if I owned a Maxi, and was paying a delivery captain who said he could provide crew, I would expect him to at least feed his crew and have a professional delivery crew do the delivery.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-19-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Not yet having found the International Regulations for Crewing book, I'll fall into CD's camp. Many ways to do many different things.

For example, if it were just a couple of greenhorn crew positions in the midst of a very seasoned crew and skipper on a Maxi, I'd actually pay to be part of that. Hellzyeah. What an experience.

Since we don't really know any of the above...as CD says...Goo dluck (whatever that means)

...and crewviat emptor.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-19-2010

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
Not only is this guy getting paid to deliver the boat he wants to charge his crew. I wonder if the owner knows he's selling berths. I wouldn't want novice crew sailing my big dollar yacht across.

Crew provides a service to skippers who, for whatever reason, can't, or rather not make long passages by themselves. They get just as tired, cold, wet, and miserable as owners or delivery captains. Since this guy is getting paid it seems the least he could do is feed his crew.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-19-2010
Telstar 28

Exactly my point... bad enough that you're going to have to work your tail off... and a long delivery is just that... hard work. I know if I were the boat owner, I'd be rather pissed that the delivery captain I AM PAYING was SELLING berths rather than getting the best qualified crew for the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmo2000 View Post
Not only is this guy getting paid to deliver the boat he wants to charge his crew. I wonder if the owner knows he's selling berths. I wouldn't want novice crew sailing my big dollar yacht across.

Crew provides a service to skippers who, for whatever reason, can't, or rather not make long passages by themselves. They get just as tired, cold, wet, and miserable as owners or delivery captains. Since this guy is getting paid it seems the least he could do is feed his crew.

Just my opinion.
BTW, did anyone read the OP's website? There's a line I found quite humorous.

Quote:
I am Buddhist and try to live and do business ethically
Apparently, doing business ethically means squeezing everyone you can for every penny you can.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-19-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2010

puddlepirate is on a distinguished road
I love how everyone just jumps to conclusions and attacks this guy based on a single post....