Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010
Sea nomade

Libertyinparadise is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Libertyinparadise
Dream adventure by sailing ship from Melanesia to Indonesia

By MID JULY I will leave NOUMEA (New Caledonia) and sail along the splendid WEST coast through the biggest lagoon in the WORLD, to Isle ART. Just for the fun of having gone to this hopefully ARTISTIC Place... Then we (yes YOU too...! You OUGHT to come on this trip...!) WE sail (up to 8 people) towards the Solomon Islands, where we sail to first the capital HONIARA, then along the Island chain (I have already been there with my boat) towatrds the Western end (Treasury Island, Shortland Islands), from where we continue to LOUISIADE ARCHIPELAGO (New Guinea), to PORT MORESBY (Capital of P.N.G.), then through the TORRES STRAIGHT, towards EAST TIMOR (DILLI), and after that towards BALI, ISLAND HOPPING STYLE..., hopefully with a couple SURFERS, cool people, people willing to share the experience, to walk the walk on the wild side! And not just to DRIVE it....

Arrival in Bali latest in October 2010. Boat will be in a harbour there, if some people like to stay on the boat, it can be done in exchange for painting work. The boat will be painted TOTALLY HALLUZINOGENIC, ARTISTS welcome.

As cool as is all sounds... it all happens in REALLY HOT climat! The boat has no Autosteering, so ONE person always has to steer. Like a truck kind of boat. 30 tons. Very safe boat, very experienced captain: Who can be NASTY in safety related issues..., but is quite cool otherwise!

You have to come up with money for your own food, as well as sun lotion, surf wax and five Aussi Dollars a day for general costs related to the boat.

You will be part of the crew, sailchanges etc. even under storm conditions are sometimes required. Good balance is necessary, and an absence of motionsickness would be ideal. Parttimes we will sail continuously for days and nights, therefore a social peacefullness is hoped for.

Nothing for faint hearted...!

Absolute adventure!

Beginning: July 15th.... more or less! Bring TIME, HUMOR and a bit of MONEY.

Gerd Fehlbaum
Captain of "S.Y. LIBERTY"

Pix of the boat:
Picasa-Webalben - gfehlbaum - Liberty in Pa...

Pix of the Solomon Islands:
Picasa-Webalben - gfehlbaum - People and pl...

Last edited by Libertyinparadise; 04-02-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2010
Dreaming of the sea

geordy is on a distinguished road
Awesome pics.
Old 04-18-2010
The5thElement

leliu5th is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyinparadise View Post
By MID JULY I will leave NOUMEA (New Caledonia) and sail along the splendid WEST coast through the biggest lagoon in the WORLD, to Isle ART. Just for the fun of having gone to this hopefully ARTISTIC Place... Then we (yes YOU too...! You OUGHT to come on this trip...!) WE sail (up to 8 people) towards the Solomon Islands, where we sail to first the capital HONIARA, then along the Island chain (I have already been there with my boat) towatrds the Western end (Treasury Island, Shortland Islands), from where we continue to LOUISIADE ARCHIPELAGO (New Guinea), to PORT MORESBY (Capital of P.N.G.), then through the TORRES STRAIGHT, towards EAST TIMOR (DILLI), and after that towards BALI, ISLAND HOPPING STYLE..., hopefully with a couple SURFERS, cool people, people willing to share the experience, to walk the walk on the wild side! And not just to DRIVE it....

Arrival in Bali latest in October 2010. Boat will be in a harbour there, if some people like to stay on the boat, it can be done in exchange for painting work. The boat will be painted TOTALLY HALLUZINOGENIC, ARTISTS welcome.

As cool as is all sounds... it all happens in REALLY HOT climat! The boat has no Autosteering, so ONE person always has to steer. Like a truck kind of boat. 30 tons. Very safe boat, very experienced captain: Who can be NASTY in safety related issues..., but is quite cool otherwise!

You have to come up with money for your own food, as well as sun lotion, surf wax and five Aussi Dollars a day for general costs related to the boat.

You will be part of the crew, sailchanges etc. even under storm conditions are sometimes required. Good balance is necessary, and an absence of motionsickness would be ideal. Parttimes we will sail continuously for days and nights, therefore a social peacefullness is hoped for.

Nothing for faint hearted...!

Absolute adventure!

Beginning: July 15th.... more or less! Bring TIME, HUMOR and a bit of MONEY.

Gerd Fehlbaum
Captain of "S.Y. LIBERTY"

Pix of the boat:
Picasa-Webalben - gfehlbaum - Liberty in Pa...

Pix of the Solomon Islands:
Picasa-Webalben - gfehlbaum - People and pl...
How many crew do you have aboard now? I can afford the $5 dollars a day in USA cash only! And I only have to pay for food and my airfare? Please advise? Also I was in the military as a Nurse and I can contribute to that and the safety effort of course. I can cook and clean as well! My Father is a retired firefighter. All military family so we are know gypsy's. Would love to see that part of the world. it looks fantastic and very adventurous!
Old 04-19-2010
Sea nomade

Libertyinparadise is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Libertyinparadise
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by leliu5th View Post
How many crew do you have aboard now? I can afford the $5 dollars a day in USA cash only! And I only have to pay for food and my airfare? Please advise? Also I was in the military as a Nurse and I can contribute to that and the safety effort of course. I can cook and clean as well! My Father is a retired firefighter. All military family so we are know gypsy's. Would love to see that part of the world. it looks fantastic and very adventurous!
Hi
Thanks for your interest. So far I have only one confirmed crew, but several interested. You sound pretty interested. Great! Taht part of the world I am traveling through I call the people living in somehow free conditions... (unlike us Swiss, Americans etc.)
Having said this, I would like to point out about the people we gonna see, as well as have to deal with. My focus is not adventure, but cultures. I only take the sailing part as the conditions behind meeting this people.
Therefore I am NOT looking for dreamers..., but maybe a person just like you!

My son is American (born in Hawaii) and having lived in the US close to ten years I am acustomed with a people of talkers... - and DOERS!
I welcome all of your described skills, like your firefither blood - although I hope it will never be tested!

Besides the 5 (if you want so...) US Dollars a day, plus your food and what ever kind of "small parts" you use in your life, all aboard LIBERTY is paid for. Of course you have to pay your own airfare. Still, this might be your cheapest sailing adventure, apart of all the many ships which - desperatly - would take you for free... Mostly undermanned, over-equiped luxury jachts, which follow the trails along their refrigerator and freezer repair facitlities...

LIBERTY is different. As well as the captain. I have NO insurance. I have NO autopilot. I have NO rollerfurling. And sure, I have no refrigerator. The end of freedom from technical slavery, since nothing breaks down on a ship more often than the fridge...

Instead we bunker sweet patatoe, Taro, Onions and grow our own tomatoes. And soon more. There is a highly inspiring book around: "Sailing the farm". The more ashclouds move around the earth, the more we gonna like sailing!

In short words: I like it simple. I don't even have a sonar, we measure the water depth with a leadline, standing at the bow, watching dolphins and the sun go down. Through Island groups, unknown to most of the world. The last corners, from where you ever hear. The human race knows more about Aliens, then about Melanesiens...., more about UFO's then dugout canoes.

But there will be no other jachts around. Dead silence on channel 16. Plenty of Islands with reefs, but no coastguard. Vella Lavella is not Vanua Levu. What most people have problems with, is the diversity of the Pacific Islands. They call them the Islanders - but they have no clue, what it basically means. A diversity of human cultures, unseen anywhere else. What the Galapagos mean for evolution, the Islands of (especially) Melanesia mean for diversity. In one word: You will be blow away....

What should not be the case, since we NEED you! To gather sails in a heavy thunder squall. At two thirty at night. Pitchblack. Are you ready for this?

Of course I like to have a nurse aboard. The only thing I ask myself: Would there be any MAN around, joining my crew? My other confirmed crew is a young Australian woman. I will let you connect with her. She sounds right on! A grafic designer, full of enthusiasm to connect her art with traveling.

At the "end of the day" (this new fashion word, which exactly describes the forsight ability of most business people and politisians, at the END OF THE DAY, we wanna sit on the deck, pineapple juice in one hand, binocular in the other and watch the sun go down behind the hills of this friendly Island. You want this. And I want this.

I have done this many times. I call myself the slowest traveller in the world. I started 1997 in Hawaii, 2010 I am in New Caledonia. MY favorit cruising ground in the world, or at least from what I have seen.

The tenth time I will go there, the 21. of May. Since 1982 I use New Caledonia as my hub into the Pacific.... BASIN? I laugh about the people, who can call HALF of our planet..... a BASIN! There is NESIA...., and the rest of the world.

Moving on towards Bali from Noumea, means doing a journey longer than from Africa to America. Just in case. What I am definitly NOT after: "Hang-loosers" around the clock, "Knowitallers" from all walks, "I dunno!", "Neverlaughers" and "Allwayslaughers", thieves, drunks, prostitutes (I had one on board, many month: a MAN...), but beg in my dreamy for electritians, mechanics, sewers, and of course nurse.
Stay away from LIBERTY, if you think pirates are funny! We commonly will have to make night watches at anchor, from the Solomon Islands West, till Bali. This aint no dream, dear future crew of LIBERTY! Jack London said about the Solomons: "If I were a king, I would ban my WORST enemies on this Islands". After visiting the Island of Malaita, he regreted, and canceled his verdict, because he saw it as too harsh....

Yes, I plan to go to Malaita, to Langalanga Lagoon, where people life on manmade Islands and make the most precious shell jewellery in the world. We will have a guide aboard, but still have to be carefull. People on selfmade Islands are quite particular, about who visits them...

Yes, I think you would fit on Liberty!

I am glad to answer further questions!

Gerd Fehlbaum
Captain of "S.Y.LIERTY"

Last edited by Libertyinparadise; 04-19-2010 at 07:02 AM.