Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010

ghite is on a distinguished road
Crew Wanted - Cruise Lake Superior

78 year old skipper needs college age or 20s male crew to assist Lake Superior cruise during July and/or August. Boat is a Nonsuch 30 sail. Home port is Houghton, MI. All expenses covered. Sailing or boating experience desired but not required. Will be cruising the Apostle Islands, the entire Canadian shore and Isle Royale. Skipper has been sailing the big lake over 30 years, much of it single-handed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, any reason why you're limiting this to college aged or crew in their 20s? There are lots of people willing to crew who are older than that and you may be missing out on a lot of good choices for crew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2010

Superior Crew

My experience is that young guys work better for extended cruising in wilderness areas. Often have guys much older aboard for a week or two, but 5 to 8 week cruises are more than most older guys can handle (schedules, commitments, etc) plus I enjoy giving young men the opportunity to get hooked on sail cruising -passing on the passion.
Old 04-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That makes sense...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-09-2010
TEAM ZISSU

drobarge is on a distinguished road
I've sailed with ghite and will again this season. Thumbs up on all of it! this is a great opportunity for someone.
Old 04-10-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear it Derrick. I was going to send you an email about this post.
Old 04-10-2010

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Maybe try posting something at Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario. They have a great Outdoor Recreation program. Maybe someone would be interested if they could afford not working for a couple of months. Would be great experience for them I'm sure. You could contact the program director directly?
Old 04-11-2010

Superior Crew

Thanks Scottbr, I've contacted them.
Old 04-18-2010

Sailin4life is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailin4life
Hello there! I have nothing yet booked for that time of the year and if all expenses are paid, then count me in! My name is Kai, I'm not quite 30 years old and I'm a new sailor living in Kalispell, Montana. I sail with friends from the North Flathead Yacht Club on beautiful Flathead Lake. I have no children or attachments, either. I have experience mainly on foredeck and grinding as well as amidships. This year, I will be learning to take the tiller/helm in the next couple of months. I can also help out in the galley and just all around the boat. The vessels I have experience on so far are J24 & 27's and a Farr37. It's a mixture of people at the club, so I have friends who race and friends who cruise. I'm fine either way. Mostly I am sailing on 'Prost' a J24 with my friend Chris and our website is WELCOME. I am also on the crew page at the aforementioned site. We just like to have fun (responsibly)! Chris is a great friend and instructor and has been sailing for 26-7 years. I am fortunate to be learning from someone with both inland and offshore experience right from the start as I plan to do both myself, all in all. I haven't been up in the area you are planning to sail since I was much younger, not even in my teens, so it would be great to get back up to see it again and from a different perspective on the water! I don't sail for beer, just so you know, but I do like to have fun and enjoy meeting new people. I will work as hard as you need me to. I can e-mail you with my phone number if you find me to be an eligible candidate. If you're looking more locally, I certainly understand. Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Last edited by Sailin4life; 04-19-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: punctuation, grammar.
Old 04-20-2010

music2177 is on a distinguished road
that sounds really good. I'm 21 and just signed up to get my asa basic here in nyc in may (just starting out sailing). I'm working a temp job for the census and will be done sometime in june. camped out for four months last summer near bend, oregon and worked as a river guide, and i'm really into outdoor stuff. not sure what my schedule specifically will be, but sailing around could be a fun option. let me know if you're still interested. also I'm a wilderness first responder and think of myself as a decent cook.
alando

Last edited by music2177; 04-20-2010 at 03:33 PM.