SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Race crew wanted - San Diego

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  apal85 
#1 ·
Hi I have a Catalina 25. It is fully race equipped.

www . indiscipline . org /cat25/indyIII.html

Crew wanted for monthly Bay and Ocean races mainly in the San Diego all Catalina fleet.

No experience necessary. Will train (then you can jump to a bigger boat).

What's good about a small boat:

(1) you can learn everything
(2) you can drive
(3) you can trim
(4) you can do foredeck
(5) you can do all the above on the same day
(6) we can sail doublehanded

Ocean races, Bay races, practice every weekend (if you can make it).

#2 · (Edited)
Is this year `round? I am in Montana looking lo re-locate to somewhere I can sail all year long. My name is Kai. I'm not quite 30, no kids, no attachments, I am looking for the right place to get started. It may take a couple/few weeks to get down there, but other than logistical issues (unloading my stuff) I can basically pick up and go. I would like to give my landlady as much notice as possible, since I've been here nearly four years and it's been great! Honestly, I'm looking for a long term commitment to begin with. Not just a couple weeks and it's over and I'm stranded in San Diego! If this sounds agreeable, point me in the right direction and I can work on where to stay and where to work when we're not sailing, if I know the area I need to get set up in. I hope you find the right candidate. I'm just trying to break into sailing for the long haul. One day I'll be an old cruiser, but I'm not even salty yet! -Cheers!-

#3 ·
Yes - year round

Yes, we sail year round. We have one race per month, and in some months more. There is no race in December.

I sail virtually every weekend and most spring-summer-fall days after work and will take crew out to practice any time they want.

San Diego has a big racing scene and you could be racing every weekend and some weekends Saturday and Sunday on other boats. Learn what you are doing and you can get out just as much as you desire.

As to where to live and work, I can't help much. Work depends on your skills. This is a military town and there are lots of Navy and Marine jobs. It is also a tourist town and there are lots of hospitality jobs. If you want to work on a boat (and work hard) you maybe could get a job on one of the day or half-day fishing boats.

Cost of living is high here. There are lots of apartments available. Cost about $1000/month at the low end. You are single and 30ish. I'd look in Pacific Beach, or Ocean Beach.

#4 ·
Many Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, JimB517! I'm waiting to hear from some family living down in the that area, and depending on their reply, I may have help or I may be looking to make my way on my own. In the meantime, work is scarce here, so I'm trying to keep 'afloat' just staying where I am. All the best and have fun!:)

#5 ·
Hi Jim,
Saw your post seeking crew for racing. Here's the bio/resume I have posted at Lats&Atts now, which I'll likely post here on Sailnet shortly:

Greetings! I'm 44 years old, 6'2", 225 pounds, don't smoke. Reasonably intelligent: have a degree from a good college. Fit and athletic: played sports for a living briefly after graduation (now it's running and triathlons). I'm also a licensed extra-class ham radio operator, for what that's worth.
I grew up sailing my Hobie Cat off the beach in front of my home in Massachusetts, then crewed in local yacht club races (on the foredeck though I haven't handled a spinnaker since) during and after college. I also crewed on a couple of November East Coast deliveries at that time too: Maine to Connecticut, Massachusetts to Florida (via offshore and part of the ICW). Breezed through several ASA classes recently and did a four-day trip from San Diego out to Catalina and back -- and was gratified to find out that I still knew what I was doing after having lived for many years in the Rockies and Alaska.
Now I'm taking some time off after a corporate gig and am interested in anything: crewing on a delivery, cruising a bit, racing, whatever. I would especially love to connect on a longer, offshore passage in an effort to get more experience as I resume a life in sailing. I'm available beginning May 3 and can get anywhere on pretty short notice (though given airfares would welcome advance notice).

I live in Solana Beach (just off the 5, by the racetrack) and would love to crew if you're in need (except, naturally, this weekend: I'll be out of town).
Best,
Luke

#10 · (Edited)
Hi Jim,

I would love to crew on your boat in any race. I've been looking for a crewing position around the San Diego area for awhile now.
I'm 28 years old, single and have plenty of time to spend practicing during the weekends or after work during week days.
I have some experience sailing a hunter 23' my family had back on the east coast awhile back, and racing lasers when I was younger. I haven't sailed in awhile, but would love to get back into it as I'm planning on buying my own boat in the near future. Hope we can meet, have some fun out there, and win some races.
thanks,
Pedro

#11 ·
Hi Jim-

My name is Corey. I have been sailing several times and want very much to learn all I can about how to actually sail! I work freelance and am available most days. I am 24 yrs old, 150lbs and very hard working. If you ever have an opening for a rookie crew member I would very much appreciate the invitation! Feel free to PM for phone number or email address.

Thank you!
Corey

#12 ·
I hope this is still be looked at by you Jim!!

I am 25 and moved to California just about a year ago but was sidelined witha shoulder injury. I grew up around big boat sailing and crewed FJ's and 420's in college (about 2 years ago) and wouk LOVE to get back into competitive racing. I live in Marina del Rety but love San Diego and have no problem making the short trip for a day on the water .

Hope to hear from you!!

- Alexis

#13 ·
Looking to crew!

I hope this is still be looked at by you Jim!!

I am 25 and moved to California just about a year ago but was sidelined witha shoulder injury. I grew up around big boat sailing and crewed FJ's and 420's in college (about 2 years ago) and wouk LOVE to get back into competitive racing. I live in Marina del Rety but love San Diego and have no problem making the short trip for a day on the water .

Hope to hear from you!!

- Alexis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.