Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010

JimB517 is on a distinguished road
Race crew wanted - San Diego

Hi I have a Catalina 25. It is fully race equipped.

www . indiscipline . org /cat25/indyIII.html

Crew wanted for monthly Bay and Ocean races mainly in the San Diego all Catalina fleet.

No experience necessary. Will train (then you can jump to a bigger boat).

What's good about a small boat:

(1) you can learn everything
(2) you can drive
(3) you can trim
(4) you can do foredeck
(5) you can do all the above on the same day
(6) we can sail doublehanded

Ocean races, Bay races, practice every weekend (if you can make it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2010

Sailin4life is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailin4life
Is this year `round? I am in Montana looking lo re-locate to somewhere I can sail all year long. My name is Kai. I'm not quite 30, no kids, no attachments, I am looking for the right place to get started. It may take a couple/few weeks to get down there, but other than logistical issues (unloading my stuff) I can basically pick up and go. I would like to give my landlady as much notice as possible, since I've been here nearly four years and it's been great! Honestly, I'm looking for a long term commitment to begin with. Not just a couple weeks and it's over and I'm stranded in San Diego! If this sounds agreeable, point me in the right direction and I can work on where to stay and where to work when we're not sailing, if I know the area I need to get set up in. I hope you find the right candidate. I'm just trying to break into sailing for the long haul. One day I'll be an old cruiser, but I'm not even salty yet! -Cheers!-

Last edited by Sailin4life; 04-18-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammar, punctuation
Old 04-19-2010

Yes - year round

Yes, we sail year round. We have one race per month, and in some months more. There is no race in December.

I sail virtually every weekend and most spring-summer-fall days after work and will take crew out to practice any time they want.

San Diego has a big racing scene and you could be racing every weekend and some weekends Saturday and Sunday on other boats. Learn what you are doing and you can get out just as much as you desire.

As to where to live and work, I can't help much. Work depends on your skills. This is a military town and there are lots of Navy and Marine jobs. It is also a tourist town and there are lots of hospitality jobs. If you want to work on a boat (and work hard) you maybe could get a job on one of the day or half-day fishing boats.

Cost of living is high here. There are lots of apartments available. Cost about $1000/month at the low end. You are single and 30ish. I'd look in Pacific Beach, or Ocean Beach.
Old 04-19-2010

Sailin4life is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailin4life
Many Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, JimB517! I'm waiting to hear from some family living down in the that area, and depending on their reply, I may have help or I may be looking to make my way on my own. In the meantime, work is scarce here, so I'm trying to keep 'afloat' just staying where I am. All the best and have fun!
Old 04-26-2010

AlaskaChowd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to AlaskaChowd
Hi Jim,
Saw your post seeking crew for racing. Here's the bio/resume I have posted at Lats&Atts now, which I'll likely post here on Sailnet shortly:

Greetings! I'm 44 years old, 6'2", 225 pounds, don't smoke. Reasonably intelligent: have a degree from a good college. Fit and athletic: played sports for a living briefly after graduation (now it's running and triathlons). I'm also a licensed extra-class ham radio operator, for what that's worth.
I grew up sailing my Hobie Cat off the beach in front of my home in Massachusetts, then crewed in local yacht club races (on the foredeck though I haven't handled a spinnaker since) during and after college. I also crewed on a couple of November East Coast deliveries at that time too: Maine to Connecticut, Massachusetts to Florida (via offshore and part of the ICW). Breezed through several ASA classes recently and did a four-day trip from San Diego out to Catalina and back -- and was gratified to find out that I still knew what I was doing after having lived for many years in the Rockies and Alaska.
Now I'm taking some time off after a corporate gig and am interested in anything: crewing on a delivery, cruising a bit, racing, whatever. I would especially love to connect on a longer, offshore passage in an effort to get more experience as I resume a life in sailing. I'm available beginning May 3 and can get anywhere on pretty short notice (though given airfares would welcome advance notice).

I live in Solana Beach (just off the 5, by the racetrack) and would love to crew if you're in need (except, naturally, this weekend: I'll be out of town).
Best,
Luke
Old 04-27-2010

Hi Luke

Luke, great, you are just the kind of guy I'm looking for. Hope we can become friends and sail together. I sent you a private email.
Old 04-30-2010

still looking!

I'm still looking. I have a race 5/15 in San Diego Bay and a race Mission Bay - Oceanside - overnight party at the yacht club - Oceanside - San Diego over Memorial Day weekend.

No experience necessary.

Will train.

Practice any day after work or on any weekend.

Learn every position.

One to two races per month.

Indiscipline III's Home Page
Old 05-07-2010

mfreddo is on a distinguished road
PM Sent
Old 05-28-2010

ericread is on a distinguished road
Let me know if you need any crew over the Memorial Day weekend. I'd be glad to crew.

Eric Read
Old 05-30-2010

pfreire is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

I would love to crew on your boat in any race. I've been looking for a crewing position around the San Diego area for awhile now.
I'm 28 years old, single and have plenty of time to spend practicing during the weekends or after work during week days.
I have some experience sailing a hunter 23' my family had back on the east coast awhile back, and racing lasers when I was younger. I haven't sailed in awhile, but would love to get back into it as I'm planning on buying my own boat in the near future. Hope we can meet, have some fun out there, and win some races.
thanks,
Pedro

Last edited by pfreire; 05-30-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.