Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010

stm is on a distinguished road
backup plan-maine to annapolis

i may need some help delivering my 35 sloop from Stamford ct. to annapolis sometime about the 3rd week in May. I have done the trip several times, but lack the experience to feel comfortable doing it myself. looking for experienced sailor to help get thru New York City and around Cape May and up the Delaware. Boat in excellent shape with new plotter/radar.

STM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2010

Bermudahigh is on a distinguished road
your voyage

i made this run in my maiden voyage with my son and a friend. we left stamford at 0830, winds were on the nose 30 +/- (forecast was for 20) thru long island sound passed ms liberty at 1500, and arrived ocean city nj 0730 the following morning. the ride thru manhattan was incredible. had a great offshore breeze down the coast. stayed pretty close to the shoreline to eliminate the big offshore swells. its an ez run, planning is the key. as for cape may, if your bridge clearance is less than 55' use the cape may canal. be careful of the shoaling across from the ferry terminal as your about to exit the cape may canal on the deleware side. this route provides a respite anchoring in cape may and eliminates the shoal area off the cape may beach.
Attached Thumbnails
backup plan-maine to annapolis-9734732.jpg   backup plan-maine to annapolis-9734737.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, but if you're going from Stamford to Annapolis, why does your thread say MAINE to Annapolis?

Also, would you be paying travel expenses for the crew?
Would they be required to pay any expenses like contributing for food?
What kind of boat is this?
Would you be sailing/motoring 24x7 or would you be stopping and either anchoring or using marinas along the way?

I did essentially the reverse of this trip, from Annapolis to Marion, MA, last spring, and it only took 65 hours, but that was with four people, doing two-person watches. With only two-people, it will be much more difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2010

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Dog, this request is for the second leg of the journey. I will be assisting STM on the Portland to Stamford leg. I may also stay on for the entire trip.

I think we only have 2 at this point for the first leg. I also like to have at least 4 crew and use 2 man watches. I have emailed Maine Sail to see if he is interested.

The boat is/was my 1985 Ericson 35.
Old 04-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ahh...that explains it.. I'm happy to see you getting one last voyage on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Dog, this request is for the second leg of the journey. I will be assisting STM on the Portland to Stamford leg. I may also stay on for the entire trip.

I think we only have 2 at this point for the first leg. I also like to have at least 4 crew and use 2 man watches. I have emailed Maine Sail to see if he is interested.

The boat is/was my 1985 Ericson 35.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2010

Shipislandpirate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shipislandpirate
STM I would be interested in doing the full trip with you...If you are interested in a crew of four...I have completed asa 101, 103 and 104 currently working on 105..Sailing since I was a child on Lake Michigan..I have crossed the Gulf of Mexico both ways...assisting owners with deliveries...I would enjoy a chance to sail the East Coast....You can contact me by email: GrossmanBuilders at aol dot com or phone 616-558-2250 Look forward to hearing from you...

Fair Winds

John M. Grossman
Old 05-15-2010

JackKus is on a distinguished road
Let me know I can join You from Cape May .
Old 05-21-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
You should have told me you were looking for crew when you were coming through here... I would have loved to hop on board.

Old 05-22-2010

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
We will be doing a similar trip ourselves, though starting out in Boston area. Hopefully we'll be doing that beginning over the Memorial Day weekend. With regard to Cape May and Delaware bay: in the Cape May "rest stop," stick to the channel, significant shoaling occurs in there - NO SHORT CUTS. Time the tide right to take the canal out and clear the bridge. The Delaware Bay is quite shoally - stick to the charted areas and stay WELL CLEAR of any shoalings. Up near the top of the Bay, near the canal, watch out for underwater sea walls. Best to take the canal during the day, as the surrounding area at night has lots of lights - a "Christmas Tree" effect. Large cargo ships take the canal and may not see you at night too (from experience here). I believe it takes about 12 hours (by motor, at ~5knots) to get from Cape May to the canal (I could be quite wrong there, so double check the distance/time).

Happy sailing!

Peace, Love, and Light,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.