Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010
Hoi Polloi

SixAndChange is on a distinguished road
SWFLA to New Orleans, sailor needed!

Here is the jist of a craigslist ad I've put out. Gimme a shout if you got ideas, warnings, a will to go or otherwise.

I'm just starting to really sail an 83' Catalina 25' with the 4' fixed keel. I've been living on it for less than a year and sailing it seldom as it was an economic move that inspired me to get the boat in the first place. I have a working opportunity around New Orleans that I'd love to get to by boat. If anyone would want to come aboard with me and show me the ins and outs of a good size coastal trip to the city I would be more than excited to share the experience and go for it. The particulars of the trip can be determined and I am flexible, only that I need to get to New Orleans by the second week of Aug.

Gimme a shout if ya feel!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2010
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
some of the icw goes thru the oily mississippi sound. mobile bay, oiled. rigolets is boomed off --oill is there----cannot go there. you might consider a trailer for the parts of the icw unable to be used--mobile bay, mississippi sound, pensacola....forget ponchartrain, as the rigolets is boomed off.. oil will ruin your antifouling paint...the time to have done this trip was 3 months ago--and we got oiled then. goood luck. smooth sailing --try to avoid the oil . isnt good for engine or paint or you.
people who work in the gulfport and biloxi area and who reside in the new orleans to pensacola area have told me i was lucky i went when i did--is not the same anymore .my sail partner is a resident of the new orleans area. the place will not again be as it was.
find out from uscg if you will be able to do this--is kind of messy right now.
your best view of the area will be from the windows of a car on the road along the beach from biloxi to new orleans...towing your boat behind you. used to be a beautiful trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 07-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2010
Hoi Polloi

SixAndChange is on a distinguished road
Such unfortunate news. I'd figured such would be the case. I looked around online for this information but ultimately decided Id get direct and come here. Much appreciated, I look forward to determining the best course of events. I don't own a trailer for the fixed keel, but sometimes you just have to
drive.

I hope to hear from the gulf coast crowd!
Old 08-27-2010

scotttobin is on a distinguished road
SixAndChange,

If you find out this is doable, and still decide to go at some point, let me know...I'd be interested in possibly joining you depending on when you go.

Thanks,
Scott