Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010

amjones is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to amjones
How do I get started? Please help!

I'll start of by saying this. I'm very green to sailing but have a burning desire to sail different parts of the world and very eager to learn the ropes! I'm a 32 year old Chef by trade and now financially independent enough to join a crew and embark on the adventure of a lifetime. Yes I know not everyone is looking to bring someone aboard who doesn't already know how to sail but you've got to start somewhere.

I'm very hard working, pay close attention to detail and can get along with most anybody. I'm asking for honest advise from someone on this forum to point me in the right directions or let me know how to get started?

Best regards,

Andy

Last edited by amjones; 08-19-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2010

ShockValue is on a distinguished road
You just took the first step Hopefully somebody will see this message and decide they wouldn't mind a rookie on board that can cook.

I have no idea if people would be willing to take a rookie around the world on the first run, but I put out a similar post just a few weeks ago and got 4 seperate invitations to crew "part time" or "one shot" in my area.

Now, the captains of these boats were'nt going to take me around the world, but if they're willing to let me on board and help and learn, that's all I really wanted.

Hope you find something!

My advert: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-w...estern-wa.html
Old 08-19-2010

radioguy is on a distinguished road
It's fantastic that you can cook! Well, not only "can cook" but you are a chef. That's a very useful trade for a boat! Do I want to eat a summer sausage or some real food? I'll go with the chef!

Like SV said, post your advert. Also, perhaps you can spend some time with books and at the marina, learning things like how to splice lines, or how to do maintenance on a diesel, or how to repair sails. Just being a jack of all trades will really help. But cooking is A+
Old 08-19-2010

F4d3d is on a distinguished road
A few years ago, without much experience, I was taken as crew on a six week trip in the Caribbean. It was a wonderful experience and since then, I have done several more passages as crew. There are many opportunities out there, just keep a positive attitude and the desire to learn, and someone will scoop you for a ride. Best of luck!
Old 08-19-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Welcome aboard. I'm not a chef. I am a foodie.

After four years of sailing offshore a LOT I will warn you that cooking underway is a bit different than in a real kitchen. You have much less space than at a conventional station. Doing more than one thing at a time is a lot harder, and you are going to be short on burners and oven space.

Consider signing up for a crew service like Offshore Passages Opportunities and get some experience offshore cooking (and learning to sail) at sea.

When you show up at a boat expect the most awful knives you have ever experienced.

If you are willing to check bags, bring your own knives in a roll and a small mandolin. Sailing my own boat I use the mandolin a great deal; as you know you have to keep your fingers out of the way, but that is easier with a mandolin in a seaway than a knife.

I fly carry-on going to and from deliveries so I have had to cope with whatever sort of hatchet is on the boats I sail.

One of my favorite things is to compare what items we have brought on deliveries. Many of the crew bring handheld VHF radios and GPS receivers. On one recent delivery between crew and boat we had six radios and eight GPS receivers. As we went around the group to talk about "what did you bring" there were a lot of dropped jaws when my contribution was a stick blender and a meat thermometer. *grin* Guess what got used?

Best of luck getting into sailing.

sail fast and eat well, dave
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2010

amjones is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to amjones
Dave, SV, RG and F4D3D,

Thanks so much for the insight, encouragement, and helpful idea's. I'm going to edit my posting because is states,"sailing around the world". I guess what I was trying to say is I want to see parts of the world while helping crew a sailboat. I'm looking for a 2, 4 or 6 month journey. If you all know of anyone looking for a guy like myself please keep me posted.

All the best~

Andy

Last edited by amjones; 08-19-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that many boats have miserably equipped galleys, and that cooking on them can be an adventure. You also might want to pack a mandoline, rather than a mandolin, unless you're also musically inclined.

Having skills like navigation, watch keeping, etc., in addition to your culinary skills will make you a fairly versatile crew member... most boats can not afford to have a person who can't pull their weight on a night watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.