Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Was this post helpful?
Yes 5 45.45%
No 2 18.18%
Somewhat 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010
Almost land locked sailor

Freshbreeze is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Warning of Fraudsters and Scams

Hi guys,

It has been while since I was last on this site, and it is a shame my first post for ages is about Scams.

I have been searching for Jobs in the Marine Industry for quite a while, and an e-mail arrived - as usual - from crewfile.net. It seemed to be the real McCoy, but as I found out it was not!

I was applying for a deckhand position with a REAL company, and the e-mails I received checked out with the companies web site. I sent off some details about myself, but then heard nothing. I done a search online and found a similar advert for a similar job, same company, all details seemed O.K., and there was a number to call. I called it, but the line was all broken - just like it was bad signal. I then decided to google the e-mail address I was replying to, and it came back with some shocking results... it was a known scam artist e-mail!

I had a friend check out the website i was on, and the website had the same look, same info etc. BUT the contact number was different, and the address was almost identical!

I don't intend on alarming you folks, but this scam is going on (and I am unfortunately proof)

This is a warning from someone who has found out the hard way - don't just jump into things, but do your research first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshbreeze View Post
Hi guys,

It has been while since I was last on this site, and it is a shame my first post for ages is about Scams.

I have been searching for Jobs in the Marine Industry for quite a while, and an e-mail arrived - as usual - from crewfile.net. It seemed to be the real McCoy, but as I found out it was not!

I was applying for a deckhand position with a REAL company, and the e-mails I received checked out with the companies web site. I sent off some details about myself, but then heard nothing. I done a search online and found a similar advert for a similar job, same company, all details seemed O.K., and there was a number to call. I called it, but the line was all broken - just like it was bad signal. I then decided to google the e-mail address I was replying to, and it came back with some shocking results... it was a known scam artist e-mail!

I had a friend check out the website i was on, and the website had the same look, same info etc. BUT the contact number was different, and the address was almost identical!

I don't intend on alarming you folks, but this scam is going on (and I am unfortunately proof)

This is a warning from someone who has found out the hard way - don't just jump into things, but do your research first!

I was the victim of an attempted email scam recently that use a SailNet member's email address. Can't be too careful these days.

Maybe you should ask the moderators to post this in the Crew Wanted forum too.
Old 08-25-2010

I am both sorry to hear you have had similar dealings, but also relieved that I am not alone (this only haddpened a few hours ago - police are involved)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Maybe you should ask the moderators to post this in the Crew Wanted forum too.
How do I get the moderators to do this?
Old 08-25-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to hear that.

I will move this thread over to the Crew Wanted section -- seems more applicable there.

But just curious, why the poll?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
But just curious, why the poll?
I saw the option there and thought 'Why not???'

That is the honest truth!

Thanks for moving this to the appropriate section! I didn't know where to put it, so I thought 'announcements'!

One must try to stay light hearted through stressful times!
Old 08-25-2010
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you,

FB,
Sorry you had a bad experience, Thankful for the reminder to be watchful.
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that when dealing with e-mails that are "unsolicited" you should always do your due diligence in vetting them. A few good things to do are:

1) Check the raw source of the e-mail for the originating e-mail server's IP address and name. Is this a legitimate e-mail server for the supposed sender?

2) Check any URL's in the e-mail for what the actual link that you're going to is, rather than what it says it supposed to be. Many scammers are now using images and such from the actual site in the e-mails they send out to provide a more legitimate looking e-mail. When in doubt, go to the company's website and click on the contact e-mail there and send them a message, forwarding the e-mail you received in its entirety and ask if the e-mail is legitimate. Also, google the e-mail address and website URL to see if any warnings have been posted about either of them.

3) DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN SUSPICIOUS OR UNSOLICITED E-MAILS. If you have an e-mail from your bank, go to their website by typing the URL directly in the browser instead of clicking on the link.

4) Please note that NO LEGITIMATE E-MAIL WILL AS YOU FOR ACCOUNT INFORMATION OR PASSWORD IN AN E-mail. E-mail is an insecure protocol and they are usually sent in CLEARTEXT—unencrypted and visible to anyone with the right software on the internet. Any website that is legitimate will have a security certificate that you can inspect using your browser. If the name does not match the website, be very cautious.

5) Use a website like DNSSTUFF.com to verify WHOIS information for any URLs you may have received.

If you want more information on how to check any of these, I can post examples....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 08-26-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2010

Sailingdog - I think it would be a good idea to post some examples so us real people have more knowledge on what to watch out for!
Old 08-26-2010

Here is 2 examples I have from 2 seemingly different people, but both relating to the same job!

I have removed my name for privacy reasons.

1:

Dear ******* ,
Thanks so much for the mail... Kindly let us know how you want to
have the interview .. We can send to your email.. Job Interview
Questionnaire for you to answer all the question . Or if you are in
London already.. you can tell us where to send our official car to
come and pick you up.

Awaiting your urgent reply

Capt. Wilson Scott

From - capt.wilson.scott@gmail.com

2:

SeaBourn Yacht Hotel
5 Gainsford Street,
SE1 2NE,London,
United Kingdom

Dear *******
We want to use this opportunity in congratulating you in advance for
accepting to join our company. How soon do you want to come or can you
make it down here within the next two week as we are urgently in need
of you to arrive here as soon as possible .If you know it is possible
for you to arrive here within the next two weeks , kindly re-confirm
the following details for the processing of your appointment and
invitation letter.

*Full Name:
*Contact Address
*Passport Photo face:
*Date of Birth :
*Phone Number

Kindly provide us the details listed above for us to proceed further
and kindly keep record of your application reference number and we
hope you are not attached to any company presently so that you will
focus on your job application as we are highly in need of you to
arrive here soon, if not kindly let us know now before you sign any
contract agreement with us.If yes we suggest that you start writing
your resignation now to whom ever you are working for, so that you can
pay more attention to your newly job ,if only you are really serious
about this job offer..

We await your immediate response to this mail

Management
Capt. James Morris

From - jamesmorris28@live.com

If you was wondering, yes they both knew my name! But check the grammar used...!

Sailingdog - do these look similar to your examples?
Old 08-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One warning sign is that they're not using corporate domain e-mail addresses. Generally, when dealing with a company, the reply-to e-mail addresses should be corporate domain e-mail addresses, not free internet e-mail accounts.

Getting someone's basic information, like Date of Birth, address, Passport or Social Security numbers are the first steps to stealing their identity. Anyone asking for such information in an UNSOLICITED e-mail, whether it is for a bank transfer (nigerian scams), for supposed employment (like the example above), or something else, should be a huge warning sign.

Unfortunately, a lot of job listing sites don't do a very good job of vetting the people posting job openings, and they are a fertile ground for scammers.

When I get back to my office, I can post a few good examples of scam e-mails and what to look for.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.