Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
crew that knows how to dock needed near Boston

Hi,
I just finished the closing on my new-to-me boat, a Gulfstar 37, and I intend to bring it home this weekend. I have never docked a boat this large before. My cousin who has experience was supposed to help, but now he is unavailable. I'm seeking someone who knows what they're doing to assist me in docking (I'll have plenty of people available, just none experienced in docking, or even sailing really). I'm looking more for someone to guide me through it than someone to do it for me. I may be able to pay a modest fee or provide some beer or something. The trip would be from Marblehead to Constitution Marina in Boston, probably starting Sat morning. Any takers? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats on the boat. I might be able to help. PM me with contact info. Just curious, what travel arrangements are you making to get to Marblehead?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Piece of Cake!.....just watch the movie...Capt. Ron a few times....you'll be a pro in no time!!!
Old 09-15-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
can't find her.. got pictures yet? 37 ft... to a dock or a slip?

Good luck!

CRASH!

my current "project"!
Old 09-15-2010

denise, I have some pics I took during the survey up on my website. I don't know how you were searching, since you said you can't find her. I just named her when I did the closing documents/documentation documents. The documentation won't be in the CG database yet. Her former name is Cadence, and as that is what's on the transom, I think we'll be using that name for the duration of the journey home, lest someone get confused when we start calling mayday...
Old 09-15-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
It's a pretty common name for boats I found out

nice boat! looks well loved by the PO!

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2010

It is a fairly common name, but I came up with it independently. Apparently there is even already a Laissez Faire with a home port of Boston, but since they aren't required to be unique I'm not worried. I called the marina I'll be staying at and also emailed the local liveaboards list and neither had ever heard of the "other" Laissez Faire.
Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nice looking boat Ryan.

PS... hate that you can't link directly to images in Gallery... very annoying.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-16-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
There is a large sailing community at Constitution. Check out the Yahoo group 'Boston Liveaboards'.

Not a big help for bringing your boat home, but practice is a big help. I have two spherical fenders, some line, and a couple of grapnel anchors. Drop them somewhere out of the way and practice coming alongside, driving between forward and backward, touching a fender with bow and transom, and generally learning to move you boat around at low speed in a small area. Works a treat.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.