SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

advice to get my boat from md to ga

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  SailingWebGuy 
#1 ·
I have a 31 ft boat I sailed up to maryland a year ago for a job and now i moved back to ga for a dif job. I didn't have the luxury to sail it back down this time but its in great sailing shape. What is a cheaper option and what are the pros and cons of having someone deliver it or have it trucked down. Going from st. leonard on chesapeake to savannah ga. I can also wait until next april to sail it down myself but already going through sailing withdrawal not having it near!

Advice?

#2 ·
I'm having my boat shipped from MD to NJ in 2 weeks and the costs are adding up quickly. It'll be $295 for a sign company to help unstep the mast. $800 for the hauling...which I hear is a very low price. $120 for the marina to drop (I should say lower...hope they don't drop it) the boat onto the truck.

I don't know if this helps any but they are the costs I'm looking at. I'm sure MD to GA will be a bit more expensive.

#3 ·
6 months is along dry spell check into the cost of shipping list it on uship as a water delivery and as over road then see if you can purchase a boat to sail till spring cheaper. After you sail down sell the temp boat. a way to sail and not have to trust others with your baby.

#4 ·
jeff

be careful with uship..there are stories here and other boat lists about how some were no shows on the day of the move. I was very disappointed in using them for a potential land move. no shows, cut rate, unreliable can really cost you on moving a boat..

#5 ·
Would it be possible to day sail it down? In other words, take a weekend and move the boat from St Leonard to Deltaville. Leave it in D-ville for a couple of weekends, then come back and move it from D-Ville to Great Bridge. Two more weeks and go from Great Bridge to, say, somewhere in Northern NC - and so on. You would be paying transient rates at marinas rather than long term, but you could probably negotiate (I hear some rumors about the economy affecting marinas, but not mine :) ).

The advantages, though, are that you still get some boat time in and you get to see that portion of the ICW.

#6 ·
if you actually use uship to move your boat make sure to check out the shipper with the dot and get insurance binder for your boat from shipper prior to them picking up your boat. newhaul is for newby hauling the other idea is to call robin graham he still does ocasional deliveries find his email in the back of crusing mag. he is one man i would trust to sail my baby

#8 ·
Good advice here. If this were my boat, I would simply pay a delivery captain to bring it down. Trucking a vessel that far will be over 7K. Plus you have to step down the mast and rigging. Also you are paying money to keep the boat where it is? It will take about two weeks to get it from Maryland to where you are underway. Just accept bids from licensed captains.

#10 · (Edited)
Good Grief, there is some dubious information here.

Trucking a small to medium sized boat is not all that big a deal. They can often load several boats on your one leg and pick up a delivery the other way cutting the costs of dead-heading. It is amazing how much that drops the price.

I shipped a 38 footer from Maine to Annapolis, on a hydraulic trailer (which is generally more expensive than shipping on a fixed low-boy) which is roughly the same distance as the southern Chesapeake to Savannah. The quoted cost was roughly $2,200 for the pick up and hauling and which came down by nearly a third when I agreed to wait a week so they could piggy back with a boat going part way back to Maine. I have no idea where the $7K cost quoted above came from.

Just a couple years ago, it cost me $150 to have a yard pull my mast, which makes $295 from a sign company seem like a very expensive price from a sign company which would seem like a higher risk proposition.

Chesapeake to Savannah in a high drag 30 footer, really pushing it on the ICW is roughly 10-12 days. At $350 per day for a delivery captain, plus $450 in fuel, plus wear and tear on the engine and boat, plus dockage, I cannot see how hiring a skipper for a delivery makes any sense. Going north in spring, where you can jump offshore and make the trip in 5-6 days would save some serious time and money. But this time of year, waiting for a northerly to thrash your way south in a 30 foot coastal cruiser does not seem like a great plan although it could be a fun ride if the boat were equipped for it and all went perfectly.

So unless you have the desire and time to deliver the boat south yourself, then trucking would probably make more sense.

Jeff

#11 ·
Just a couple years ago, it cost me $150 to have a yard pull my mast, which makes $295 from a sign company seem like a very expensive price from a sign company which would seem like a higher risk proposition.
I'm kinda stuck in a marina that caters to mostly power boats. It was either a sign company or to rent a crane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.