SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Boothbay to Marblehead Friday October 15, 2010 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/68989-boothbay-marblehead-friday-october-15-2010-a.html)

catamount 10-11-2010 07:55 PM

Boothbay to Marblehead Saturday October 16, 2010
 
Any interest in a cold overnight sail?

I'm planning to deliver my Peterson 34 GREYHAWK from Boothbay Harbor down to Marblehead on Friday 10/15 with some help from my Dad. We'll be shuttling cars Thursday afternoon/evening 10/14, and we should be all done with the trip and back in Maine (by car) by Saturday afternoon 10/16.

FWIW, below is the current offshore weather forecast. It wasn't like this when we originally made these plans, but I should have expected something like this to develop -- seems to be pretty standard fare aboard GREYHAWK (although not much so far this year). This could be a good opportunity for anyone out there who wants some Heavy Weather experience but on somebody else's boat...

PORT CLYDE ME TO CAPE ELIZABETH ME OUT TO 25 NM-
CAPE ELIZABETH ME TO MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT TO 25 NM-
232 PM EDT MON OCT 11 2010

THU NIGHT
E WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. GUSTS UP TO 35 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

FRI
NE WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT... BUILDING TO 8 TO
11 FT. RAIN LIKELY. AREAS OF FOG. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

SAT
N WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT...SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 7 FT.
A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.


PM me here at Sailnet if you would like to join us.

nickmerc 10-11-2010 08:14 PM

Have a great time on the trip. I used to sail between Gloucester, Salem, and Boston Harbor on my Hobiecat. I miss it up there.
________
Vaporizer wiki

catamount 10-12-2010 07:37 PM

Boothbay to Marblehead Saturday October 16, 2010
 
The weather forecast for Friday on the Gulf of Maine just keeps getting worse. It looks like a low-pressure "bomb" will develop early Friday morning and persist through Friday night, with winds potentially in excess of 50 knots, and seas potentially up to 14 feet or more!

So we're now thinking about possibly a mid-day Saturday departure, which should get us into Marblehead by mid-day Sunday (if not earlier -- should be a fast reach with strong winds out of the NW...), and folks back to Maine or New Hampshire by Sunday evening.

catamount 10-14-2010 06:53 AM

OK, plans are moving forward for a mid-day Saturday departure -- looks like we'll have three or four of us, still room for one or two more if you're interested. Should be a good sail!

Maine Sail 10-14-2010 07:12 AM

Sounds like fun wish I could be there!! Damn business obligations.

saillover 10-19-2010 08:08 AM

I wish I had seen this post sooner than today. That would have been alot
of fun to go for a sail....I have been wanting to go and didn't get to all summer.

catamount 10-19-2010 05:32 PM

Well, three of the crew were seriously seasick, and it was very cold and wet.

Winds were 25 knots on the beam, sometimes more (35 with gusts to 40 for a little while), rarely less. Seas were 3 to 5 feet, sometimes more (8 feet). Less than 15 hours from leaving the dock at Harborfields to being secured on our mooring in Marblehead - about 100 nautical miles. We were generally making about 8-1/2 knots (and up) for most of the night, under staysail and double-reefed main.

I had a blast (except for the stress of worry about my crew).

Slayer 10-25-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saillover (Post 656112)
I wish I had seen this post sooner than today. That would have been alot
of fun to go for a sail....I have been wanting to go and didn't get to all summer.

Me too. I had rotator cuff surgery in April so I couldn't start sailing till
August. (Well I did the Marblehead to P-Town race in July against doctor's orders) so that would have been a great sail.

Tim, I hope you had a great summer of sailing and look foward to crossing paths with you again.

TJenkins 11-04-2010 08:53 PM

I dont suppose you put off the trip...
 
I just became a member here. I live in portland and I'de like to join on your trip if you have not gone yet.

catamount 11-04-2010 10:09 PM

No, we made the trip (see post #7). The boat has long since been hauled out and trucked inland. Sorry, maybe another time?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012