Crew Wanted, From NY Harbor to Cape May, and potentially beyond. - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I'm not suggesting that you do anything unsafe...but you can't afford to lose any windows of opportunity to make progress south.
He can always take the truck route. . It is a small boat so the cost is not as much and also don't have to stay off from work if he is working.

I would do a cost analysis to see what come out ahead. But of course, there is a fun factor and experience that can't put a $ on them.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Dawg,

I guess I was avoiding raining on the entire parade. Yes, the truck route is one thought... getting as far as you can, hauling out and waiting for spring to continue is another. The wind-chill for 15 mph winds @ 40 degrees f puts you at Freezing....... At least the beer will stay cold..

Hope you have warm clothes for your trip...;-)
Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

hahah.... You are more diplomatic than I.

Just got the email from the captain, he warns me to bring my winter hat. Now, I wonder if i should bring my snowboard helmet, face mask and goggle ?

Note to self: Bring a lot hot coco on board.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend bringing a couple of knit watch caps... they get wet and soggy and you'll want a dry one... Fleece ones rock because they dry really, really fast.

The face mask and goggles aren't a bad idea...if you've ever tried to stand a watch in driving rain, you'll know what I mean...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-18-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava at REI.com

Something like this! ;-)
Old 10-19-2010

glymroff is on a distinguished road
RockDAWG,

Bare bones triton.
GPS
Brand new RU-260
Hand held & in cabin fixed VHFs.
Radar reflector.
Main (good) w/ 2 reef pts, working 110 (blown but still serviceable, even if it should be a pillow case, 170 good, and I think its a 80 or 90 blade (excellent), all hank ons.

SailDog,

Yes I have Jack lines, and harnesses (which as a rule I use whenever I went alone or reefed.)

I'm taking the boat down to NYC in 2 wks.

Otto, Thanks for inlet info, I had heard that before from a Cap that has done this a couple of times.

Thanks all for the feedback, keep it coming.
Old 10-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Adding an autopilot or some form of self steering will make the trip a lot more pleasant... and far less exhausting.

Might want to keep the blade jib stowed in a sailbag on the foredeck... since when you need it, you'll need it in a hurry. It'd be better than a blown out 110 in a storm, since you'll want a sail with less area and that you can get as flat as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glymroff View Post
RockDAWG,

Bare bones triton.
GPS
Brand new RU-260
Hand held & in cabin fixed VHFs.
Radar reflector.
Main (good) w/ 2 reef pts, working 110 (blown but still serviceable, even if it should be a pillow case, 170 good, and I think its a 80 or 90 blade (excellent), all hank ons.

SailDog,

Yes I have Jack lines, and harnesses (which as a rule I use whenever I went alone or reefed.)

I'm taking the boat down to NYC in 2 wks.

Otto, Thanks for inlet info, I had heard that before from a Cap that has done this a couple of times.

Thanks all for the feedback, keep it coming.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-19-2010

glymroff is on a distinguished road
SailDog,

Will do on the blade on the foredeck. Any recommendations on self-steering for this size boat? Are you referring to a tiller auto-helm? or a tiller-tamer?
Old 10-19-2010
Telstar 28

An autohelm or tiller pilot would be a better choice than a tiller tamer. A tiller tamer doesn't compensate for wave or wind induced course changes, so isn't useful for more than just fairly short periods of time.

An ST2000+ Tillerpilot is about $550 and takes only an afternoon to install. If you do decide to get one, make a spray sleeve for it to help prolong its life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glymroff View Post
SailDog,

Will do on the blade on the foredeck. Any recommendations on self-steering for this size boat? Are you referring to a tiller auto-helm? or a tiller-tamer?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-19-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
An ST2000+ Tillerpilot is about $550 and takes only an afternoon to install. If you do decide to get one, make a spray sleeve for it to help prolong its life.
That is not bad at all. I would consider it if you plan to keep your boat for awhile.

Let us know how you making out. As Tempest mentioned, time is the essence here as it is getting cold. I can help if you need someone from NYC to Cape May. If you take the C&D and the bay, it is easy for me since I live 15 min from the upper Chesapeake Bay.

Fine Print: