Crew Wanted, From NY Harbor to Cape May, and potentially beyond. - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010

glymroff is on a distinguished road
Autohelm is magic! Did the run to Atlantic city yesterday. Morning was solid 20 w gusts to 25 seas 4-7. It settled to 10-15 later. The autohelm worked great.

Weather looks beyond my safety level for AC to Cape May outside. Wondering about ICW route, but unsure about bridge clearances and depth

Advice :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Ocean City has a fixed 35' bridge just below ICW "282".

How tall is your stick?
Old 11-10-2010
Señor Member

Sending you a PM.
Old 11-10-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by glymroff View Post
Autohelm is magic! Did the run to Atlantic city yesterday. Morning was solid 20 w gusts to 25 seas 4-7. It settled to 10-15 later. The autohelm worked great.

Weather looks beyond my safety level for AC to Cape May outside. Wondering about ICW route, but unsure about bridge clearances and depth

Advice :-)
Sit and wait . Starting late Friday is good. Sat and Sun would be better. The sea is calmer. If you must, hug the coastlines, but watch for water depth.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 11-10-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
glymroff,

The autohelm/tiller pilot mechanism is like magic when it works. Sounds to me like you gave it a pretty good trial by fire.
Maybe you can meet up with ottos.

Enjoy.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2010
Señor Member

I haven't heard from you, so I'll jot down a few additional notes.

1. The current Local Notice to Mariners is located here

2. The inside chart for the passage is 12316. The outside chart is 12318.

3. The LNM shows ICW buoy 424 (lower end of Stone Harbor) being off station.

4. "Shoaling to a depth of 2.5 ft MLW has been reported between NJICW Buoy 417 (LLNR 36517) and NJICW Buoy 425 (LLNR 36540). Mariners are
urged to plan their trips accordingly and to use extreme caution when transiting the area. Chart: 12316."

5. "GREAT EGG HARBOR INLET
Shoaling has been reported around Great Egg Harbor Inlet Buoy 3 (LLNR 1277) Chart 12318 Ref. LNM 27/10."

6. Hopefully you'll be long gone but -
Mariners are advised that the AMTRAK/NJTRO automated railroad swing Bridge, at ICW mile 68.9, across Beach Thorofare at Atlantic City, NJ will
be closed to vessels requiring an opening to facilitate urgent mechanical repairs on the following dates and times:
1) From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., on Monday, November 15, 2010;
2) From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., on Tuesday, November 16, 2010;
3) From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., on Wednesday, November 17, 2010;
4) From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., on Thursday, November 18, 2010;
5) From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., on Friday, November 19, 2010;
6) From 7 a.m. on Saturday, November 20, 2010 through 4 p.m. on Monday, November 22, 2010; and
7) From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., on Tuesday, November 23, 2010;
In the closed position to vessels, the available vertical clearance is approximately 5 feet above MHW. At all other times, the drawbridge will
operate in accordance with the operating drawbridge regulations set out in Title 33 Code of Federal Regulations Part 117.733(d). Mariners are
urged to plan their trips accordingly. Chart : 12318.

7. If going outside - observe the fish trap areas marked on chart 12318.
Generally the areas are from the shore to 3-4 miles off shore. I don't know if they are currently in use, but in the summer you need to keep a sharp eye open.

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-22-2010

glymroff is on a distinguished road
Been a while since good wifi spot...

Made Cape May by myself. rough ride out the inlet but once headed south the seas although 10-12 (sometimes more) where spaced well enough that it wasn't a problem. Good sail, and arrived at night.

Did Delaware Bay, C&D, and Chesapeake. Now on my second leg in ICW sitting at Aligator River Marina. Next is somewhere between here and Beufort, then outside if whether is good to Wilmington.

Hooked up w/ 2 other boats last couple of days and met another crew so it will be 4 sailboats to Beufort.

I'm learning everyday. Went through a heavy day on the chesapeake w/ gusts around 30-35kts! only running w/ heavy weather jib, and that was still to much sail. need to get a storm jib.

I'll post again in a couple of days...
Old 11-22-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sd-
"a couple of knit watch caps... they get wet and soggy and you'll want a dry one..."
If you stick to genuine WOOL, they'll keep you warm even when wet. I used to watch Jacques Cousteau on TV diving with a red wool watch cap and laughed at it, yeah sure, a knit cap in the water. But then found out firsthand that even soaking wet, it keeps your head warmer when you are coming out of the water after a dive.
And if you know anyone who knits...the knitting stores have some damn nice wools that will cost $20-200 for enough to make a watch cap. Softer, warmer, you won't find the same stuff in the army surplus stores, or WalMart.
FWIW.
Old 11-22-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Glymroff,

Nice work. You realy made great progress.

I bet the autopilot made the trip. (I use ours constantly.)

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

. .
. .
. .
. .