Crew Wanted, From NY Harbor to Cape May, and potentially beyond. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010

glymroff is on a distinguished road
Crew Wanted, From NY Harbor to Cape May, and potentially beyond.

I'm a limited experience sailor heading south for the winter from Vermont. I recently brought the boat south from Mallets Bay, Lake Champlain thru the canal and down to Kingston, NY. Just myself and one other complete newbie. Had a great time learning and making plenty of mistakes. All harmless.

I have friends to go w/ me to NY harbor. I need to pick up an experienced crew member to assist me going to Cape May, and potentially beyond to Norfolk, etc.

I will pay for all meals on board, and transportation fees back from Cape May are negotiable.

The s/v is a Pearson Triton (28.5 ft). It is old but solid boat, w/ inboard diesel. I've been sailing on and off for years, w/ very little coastal sailing. Hence the need for assistance :-)

Regards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010

Forgot to mention that the time frame is the 1st week of Nov. weather permitting.
Old 10-18-2010

adamtroyg is on a distinguished road
are you planning to sail through the nights or duck in Manasquan, Barnegat, Absecon, on the way to Cape May (weather / time permitting?)
Old 10-18-2010

depends on the weather window, and probably more importantly the experience of the crew member.

Time is not an issue. Safety is paramount. So if the weather looks great, the crew experienced, then straight thru the night. Otherwise hops in and out of the inlets mentioned.

completely flexible in planning.
Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
What do you have on the boat?
1. Life raft
2. Chart plotter
3. Autohelm
4. radar reflector
5. EPRIB
6. Sails what kind and conditions?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-18-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by glymroff View Post
Otherwise hops in and out of the inlets mentioned.
Be advised that it is the 'hops' through the inlets that are probably the most dangerous part of Jersey sailing. Manasquan, Absecon(Atlantic City) and Cape May are regarded as the better inlets. All others can be dicey due to shifting shoals and a slow process for remarking the channel. All are best done at slack water, and wind opposing tide can cause you quite a bit of trouble. Great Egg Inlet wasn't re-buoyed after last year's storms, the result being that the marked channel led several boats on to groundings.

If you plan on using ICW, the Point Pleasant Canal (just inside Manasquan) can have some very nasty currents, and in Ocean City there is a 35' fixed bridge limiting traffic.
Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

I agree. To reduce stress, wait for the good weather window, I would take one shot to Cape May.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A well-fitted out Triton should be a pretty good boat for the trip. However, it is a bit tight for two people, and you'll want to vet/meet any potential crew prior to leaving.

The New Jersey coast is pretty unforgiving in bad weather, and has very few ports that are good ports to enter in any kind of storm. Going offshore from Cape May to Norfolk is a long trip, and the Delaware coast has few good ports for stormy weather, so waiting for the appropriate weather window is key. You could also go up to the C&D Canal and then south through the Chesapeake, but this adds a lot of miles to your trip.

Do you have jacklines fitted out already? If not, you'll want them before heading off, since you'll want to use tethers and harnesses, especially at night.

What safety gear and equipment do you have aboard? A Radar Reflector is a necessity IMHO. The GPS Chartplotter is nice to have, but not a necessity. You should have paper charts for the coast you'll be sailing along in case you need to make an emergency stop.

An autopilot, while not absolutely required, will really make the passage a lot simpler and make it far less tiring for the captain and crew.

An EPIRB, DSC-equipped VHF and Liferaft would also be good to have along. As would storm sails for your boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-18-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Glymroff,

Time is an issue...Your weather window is closing fast imo. You need to get to NYC/ Sandy Hook/ Atlantic Highlands soon. The temperatures in the evenings have been high 30's low 40's Fronts have been moving through on a regular basis. Getting the right window for several overnight sails could take awhile. This is beyond a recreational sail and more into the " delivery" mode.

Did you ever replace the blown out jib? do you have a storm jib? or a small jib that's in good shape?

I'm not suggesting that you do anything unsafe...but you can't afford to lose any windows of opportunity to make progress south.

Last edited by Tempest; 10-18-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
An autopilot, while not absolutely required, will really make the passage a lot simpler and make it far less tiring for the captain and crew.
Very good advices, SD.

I am spoiled. Autopilot is a must for me.

At night, I like to walk around in the cockpit, do some Tai Chi, Push ups, look around with the binocular for mermaids, check the chart, make log entries. As you can see, I don't have much time to steer around. Soon the watch is over.

Fine Print:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.