Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010

snowflake123 is on a distinguished road
upps, didn´t even notice. I don´t know where my thoughts were when i originally posted. I appologize for any confusion made.

The trip will start on the Canaries, NOT the Azores. So Gran Canaria is correct.

...everyone happy now?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2010

UncleRuckus is on a distinguished road
I saw your post on the other site this morning. You should have no problem finding crew there especially since on the first page there are 16 posts from people looking to crew and only 4 boats offering spaces, and one of those is for next year at a cost of $6750 per person, like I said you are offering a GREAT DEAL!
Old 10-25-2010

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
Snowflake, I deliver a few boats each year. Both coasts, Mexico, the Bahamas, VI's, Hawaii, trans-Atlantic, trans-/Pacific, et al. Your passage is quite certainly a delivery and not a island to island sailing vacation. On all of my deliveries the owner has paid my airfare, my expenses, covered my provisions, and compensated me for my time, knowledge, and efforts. You might call your passage a vacation but your crew will be getting tired, cold, wet, sitting watches in the wee hours, etc. In short, they WILL BE WORKING.

But I'm a reasonable guy so I'll make you a deal similar to the one you offer.

Fly yourself to my home, live in half of my walk-in closet, let me wake you up every six hours, throw cold salt water on you a few times a night, then during the day you can help pay for the materials and you can help me paint my house. I'll even let you do all the stuff up high and the hardest parts of the job. When we're done painting you fly yourself home. If you do that I'll be more than happy to fly myself to your boat, get woke up every six hours, endure cold, salt water dousings, and do whatever needs to be done on your boat to get it non-stop from the Canaries to the Caribbean.

Thats esentially the same deal your offering. But hey! It's not a job! Consider it a vacation!

Regardless, I wish you the very best and fair winds on your passage.
Old 10-26-2010

cgaskell is on a distinguished road
Fortunately for Snowflake, there are hundreds of people that would do that work at their own travel expenses and the expense of their consumables. It is a fantastic opportunity for someone. I personally do offshore sailing because there are fewer things that make me feel luckier to be alive than a dousing of cold saltwater... Except a good woman.
Directed at those who have posted suggesting that the trip is a delivery and the crew should be paid etc - Each is entitled to their own opinion, but why bother posting if you are trying to stir up a discussion in bad taste? It reads very negatively and is sad to see. Perhaps you should save those sorts of polarised opinions for political discussions! Good luck to snowflake and great luck to the negative folk on becoming more positive!
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cgaskell—

Please note, I never said the CREW SHOULD BE PAID... I merely pointed out that UNPAID CREW on a delivery should not have to pay for their transportation to and from the boat or need to pay for the food/drink they'll consume while working on the boat for free.

There is a difference between being uncompensated, which is what I am suggesting that unpaid crew be...and having to PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF WORKING YOUR ASS OFF.

The fact that the OP doesn't see this as a delivery trip and is trying to pawn it off as a vacation is highly unrealistic to anyone who has done a long delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaskell View Post
Fortunately for Snowflake, there are hundreds of people that would do that work at their own travel expenses and the expense of their consumables. It is a fantastic opportunity for someone. I personally do offshore sailing because there are fewer things that make me feel luckier to be alive than a dousing of cold saltwater... Except a good woman.
Directed at those who have posted suggesting that the trip is a delivery and the crew should be paid etc - Each is entitled to their own opinion, but why bother posting if you are trying to stir up a discussion in bad taste? It reads very negatively and is sad to see. Perhaps you should save those sorts of polarised opinions for political discussions! Good luck to snowflake and great luck to the negative folk on becoming more positive!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2010

UncleRuckus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmo2000 View Post
Snowflake, I deliver a few boats each year. Both coasts, Mexico, the Bahamas, VI's, Hawaii, trans-Atlantic, trans-/Pacific, et al. Your passage is quite certainly a delivery and not a island to island sailing vacation. On all of my deliveries the owner has paid my airfare, my expenses, covered my provisions, and compensated me for my time, knowledge, and efforts. You might call your passage a vacation but your crew will be getting tired, cold, wet, sitting watches in the wee hours, etc. In short, they WILL BE WORKING.

But I'm a reasonable guy so I'll make you a deal similar to the one you offer.

Fly yourself to my home, live in half of my walk-in closet, let me wake you up every six hours, throw cold salt water on you a few times a night, then during the day you can help pay for the materials and you can help me paint my house. I'll even let you do all the stuff up high and the hardest parts of the job. When we're done painting you fly yourself home. If you do that I'll be more than happy to fly myself to your boat, get woke up every six hours, endure cold, salt water dousings, and do whatever needs to be done on your boat to get it non-stop from the Canaries to the Caribbean.

Thats esentially the same deal your offering. But hey! It's not a job! Consider it a vacation!

Regardless, I wish you the very best and fair winds on your passage.
You are really missing the point aren't you, let me explain it in terms you might be able to understand.
How many people do you think there are in the world who have had the lifelong dream of working on your house? The All Knowing, All Seeing, Uncle Ruckus has the answer to that....ZERO, NIL, ZILCH, ZED, NOT A DAMN ONE! However there are thousands of folks who have always dreamed of crossing an ocean on a small boat. Now how many businesses make a living charging people thousands of dollars to come work on your house?... see answer above, but a quick look at the ARC website will reveal dozens of charter boats that charge big money for the opportunity to make this passage. Do you see the difference here? Is there anyone that can explain it to you?
For many of those charter boats the ARC is their biggest event of the year. Big Spirit, a 72' Challenge boat, is making the passage and then returning 6 weeks later and has paying crew in both directions.
Now I suppose there will always be people looking to get something for nothing, the kinds with their hands out trying to grab all they can, that expect others to support them, feed them and pay for their travel. But true sailors do it for the love of sailing. Kinda reminds me of these charter skippers that expect the guest to pick up their bar and dinner tabs when they eat on shore, how pathetic is that.
The title of this page is crew wanted, not free room and board, or lucrative marine employment opportunities. If the deal being offered isn't for you then don't apply for it, that's pretty simple to understand isn't it. But when people post these positions and get nothing but a bunch of BS from the same blowhards, it will only make others less willing to offer these opportunities to those of us who would love to make passages that would otherwise be beyond our means.
And if I could get the time off from work I would cut off my left gonnad with a pair of rusty hedge clippers to take advantage of the fantastic opportunity that this gentleman is offering.
Old 10-26-2010

@ uncleruckus:

you are fantastic. thanks for your support. actually, four inquiries have been made for the trip now. but you know what: you´d be welcome too if you had time

cu
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They aren't looking for crew...they're looking for free labor by someone willing to subsidize their delivery...

Feeding the crew of a boat is pretty much a cost of doing business. Do you think the people who work on off-shore oil rigs or on the big ocean-going ships PAY FOR THEIR MEALS... no, because they're on-call 24/7. It isn't a vacation as the OP would like to present it. You don't really have an option of saying, "No, I don't think I'll help sail the boat today, it's my day off..." Spending the day doing nothing productive is an option on a vacation, not on a delivery... this is clearly a delivery.

Yes, there are people who are willing to pay to do this on a luxurious 72 Swan or something. The OP is talking about a 36' CATAMARAN... not the 72' Challenge Boat you're talking about. It's a small sailboat...not a luxury yacht.

You're comparing apples and oranges, which is pretty hypocritical considering what you're saying to Ughmo2000. If this was a Swan 65 or something equally luxurious, or a boat with some historic meaning, like an America's Cup racer, that you might never get a chance to step aboard otherwise, then your argument makes sense. A 36' catamaran is much like Ughmo's house...no one really dreams of sailing across the Atlantic in it.. None of the boats in the ARC that are charging passage are 36' LOA I'm willing to bet, and most of the boats are over 45'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRuckus View Post
You are really missing the point aren't you, let me explain it in terms you might be able to understand.
How many people do you think there are in the world who have had the lifelong dream of working on your house? The All Knowing, All Seeing, Uncle Ruckus has the answer to that....ZERO, NIL, ZILCH, ZED, NOT A DAMN ONE! However there are thousands of folks who have always dreamed of crossing an ocean on a small boat. Now how many businesses make a living charging people thousands of dollars to come work on your house?... see answer above, but a quick look at the ARC website will reveal dozens of charter boats that charge big money for the opportunity to make this passage. Do you see the difference here? Is there anyone that can explain it to you?
For many of those charter boats the ARC is their biggest event of the year. Big Spirit, a 72' Challenge boat, is making the passage and then returning 6 weeks later and has paying crew in both directions.
Now I suppose there will always be people looking to get something for nothing, the kinds with their hands out trying to grab all they can, that expect others to support them, feed them and pay for their travel. But true sailors do it for the love of sailing. Kinda reminds me of these charter skippers that expect the guest to pick up their bar and dinner tabs when they eat on shore, how pathetic is that.
The title of this page is crew wanted, not free room and board, or lucrative marine employment opportunities. If the deal being offered isn't for you then don't apply for it, that's pretty simple to understand isn't it. But when people post these positions and get nothing but a bunch of BS from the same blowhards, it will only make others less willing to offer these opportunities to those of us who would love to make passages that would otherwise be beyond our means.
And if I could get the time off from work I would cut off my left gonnad with a pair of rusty hedge clippers to take advantage of the fantastic opportunity that this gentleman is offering.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-26-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2010

@sailingdog:

please, do me and the world a favour: JUST SHUT IT! - No one here wants your comments. YOU ARE NOT WELCOME !!!
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

Snowflake—

Not your forum.. I'm expressing my opinion. If you don't like it... TOUGH ****. I'm not the cheapskate looking to have crew subsidize my delivery... you are.

There are two viewpoints here.. you with your "this is a great deal and you'll have a great vacation" and the truth...which you don't appear to appreciate. This is a delivery, not a vacation, not a pleasure cruise.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.