SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Crew Wanted/Available (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/)
-   -   Canaries to the Caribbean Nov/Dez 2010 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/crew-wanted-available/69229-canaries-caribbean-nov-dez-2010-a.html)

snowflake123 10-20-2010 09:53 AM

Canaries to the Caribbean Nov/Dez 2010

We are looking for another one or two easy-to-get-along-with-people to give us a deck hand on the way from Gran Canaria to the Caribbean. So far we are two. Experienced male Captain in his mid 40īs and a male friend, also mid 40īs.

The trip will be made on Captainīs 36ft Catamaran, which he had just brought over from Greece with his family. They leave ship on the Canares and will meet the crew in the Caribbean around Xmas again. Planned arrival destination is St. Lucia.

The Catamaran is some years old, but very well equipped and on a new technical standard. Completely overhauled in 2010 with lots of redundancies.

We will leave last Sunday of November, trip is planned for 17-21 days, depending on weather and winds.

If you are willing to help out on deck or below, you are easy to get along with, have no criminal records and you are of descent appeearance with some english or german language knowledge, well, you want to contact us through PACTOR III directly: dl2mfs@winlink.org

You will have to pay for your own expenses such as flights and daily allowances. Ship handling and customs will be taken care of by the Captain.

sailingdog 10-20-2010 10:09 AM

To clarify, are you feeding the crew while on passage or are they responsible for contributing to the ship's stores of food and drink?

rockDAWG 10-20-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowflake123 (Post 656663)
You will have to pay for your own expenses such as flights and daily allowances. Ship handling and customs will be taken care of by the Captain.

If I read it correctly. You have to pay for your own food. The Captain will pay the boat expenses.

Just check the flight to Azores, it was $1600 one way from East Coast (PHL or BWI). With the flight back from Caribbean, the air fee alone will run more than $2000. I would love to join if the air fare is a bit less.

I am sure it will be a great trip. I hope someone will be able to make it. All the best. :)

sailingdog 10-20-2010 10:38 AM

In some cases the daily allowances are for shore-side eating...since that can range quite widely in terms of costs—which is why I asked for a clarification.

rockDAWG 10-20-2010 10:56 AM

Arrrg, I see what you mean. :)

SVAuspicious 10-20-2010 03:48 PM

Sometimes the cheapest way to get to the Azores is to fly to Portugal and then back to Azores.

rockDAWG 10-20-2010 04:35 PM

The price I quoted was a non direct flight with a stop over in Libson from Philly or Baltimore. May be flying from NYC will be cheaper. But I will not bet on it. :)

sailingdog 10-20-2010 04:49 PM

Rockdawg—

The least expensive flight I've seen from BOS to SMA is about $900 with two stops.

snowflake123 10-21-2010 10:38 AM

Hello to you all,

thanks for the great interest. I am delighted :)

Well, here are some clarification items:
The Catamaran is owned by 2 guys. Me and the Skip on the boat right now. I am in Montreal at this time (business). The Skip on the Cat will take it to the Caribbean. I will take it back to Europe in 2011/2012. So questions need to be forwarded to the Skip on board. No sweat to contact him via PACTOR III on given email. But anyways, I can answer questions on landline as well, if so requested.

The reason asking for another one or two crewmembers is: Two guys said they were gonna go but now called in sick or unwilling. So we are looking for suitable replacement. I amjust helping as it is easier to coordinate from ashore. Nevertheless, Skip on board gets info from me regularly.

I guess it could be possible to get a ride from southern Portugal or Gibraltar to the Canaries on the Cat (to lower flight costs), since Skip is heading towards Gib right now. They are in eastern Spain at this time. We just have to ask the Skip and you better be quick, so you donīt miss him...

For the food, letīs make it reasonable. Everyone should contribute a little bit to the food on board. More or less. Once on shore, most of the times checks get split anyway. So just play it with some reasonable sense. You would be eating at home too, wouldnīt ya? So, no additional costs actually...

Anymore questions? For serious interests, we can also talk on the phone if one wishes. Write me a PM, then Iīll give you my #.

Thanks again for asking, itīs definitely going to be a cool trip. The boat is very nice and has a lot of room.

sailingdog 10-21-2010 10:51 AM

Generally, the captain is responsible for feeding crew during the actual voyage and for their transport to/from the boat, especially if they're fairly experienced crew and not being paid.

You're looking looking for crew to come along, pay for their share of the food expenses and pay their airfare to/from the boat... no wonder those two bailed. At a minimum, anyone crewing for you is going to be laying out at least $1200 in airfare and then have to pay for food on top of that... WHAT A BARGAIN... :puke