Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010

snowflake123 is on a distinguished road
Canaries to the Caribbean Nov/Dez 2010

We are looking for another one or two easy-to-get-along-with-people to give us a deck hand on the way from Gran Canaria to the Caribbean. So far we are two. Experienced male Captain in his mid 40´s and a male friend, also mid 40´s.

The trip will be made on Captain´s 36ft Catamaran, which he had just brought over from Greece with his family. They leave ship on the Canares and will meet the crew in the Caribbean around Xmas again. Planned arrival destination is St. Lucia.

The Catamaran is some years old, but very well equipped and on a new technical standard. Completely overhauled in 2010 with lots of redundancies.

We will leave last Sunday of November, trip is planned for 17-21 days, depending on weather and winds.

If you are willing to help out on deck or below, you are easy to get along with, have no criminal records and you are of descent appeearance with some english or german language knowledge, well, you want to contact us through PACTOR III directly: dl2mfs@winlink.org

You will have to pay for your own expenses such as flights and daily allowances. Ship handling and customs will be taken care of by the Captain.

Last edited by snowflake123; 10-21-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
To clarify, are you feeding the crew while on passage or are they responsible for contributing to the ship's stores of food and drink?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-20-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake123 View Post
You will have to pay for your own expenses such as flights and daily allowances. Ship handling and customs will be taken care of by the Captain.
If I read it correctly. You have to pay for your own food. The Captain will pay the boat expenses.

Just check the flight to Azores, it was $1600 one way from East Coast (PHL or BWI). With the flight back from Caribbean, the air fee alone will run more than $2000. I would love to join if the air fare is a bit less.

I am sure it will be a great trip. I hope someone will be able to make it. All the best.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In some cases the daily allowances are for shore-side eating...since that can range quite widely in terms of costs—which is why I asked for a clarification.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-20-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Arrrg, I see what you mean.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-20-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Sometimes the cheapest way to get to the Azores is to fly to Portugal and then back to Azores.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-20-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

The price I quoted was a non direct flight with a stop over in Libson from Philly or Baltimore. May be flying from NYC will be cheaper. But I will not bet on it.

Fine Print:
Old 10-20-2010
Telstar 28

Rockdawg—

The least expensive flight I've seen from BOS to SMA is about $900 with two stops.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-21-2010

snowflake123 is on a distinguished road
Hello to you all,

thanks for the great interest. I am delighted

Well, here are some clarification items:
The Catamaran is owned by 2 guys. Me and the Skip on the boat right now. I am in Montreal at this time (business). The Skip on the Cat will take it to the Caribbean. I will take it back to Europe in 2011/2012. So questions need to be forwarded to the Skip on board. No sweat to contact him via PACTOR III on given email. But anyways, I can answer questions on landline as well, if so requested.

The reason asking for another one or two crewmembers is: Two guys said they were gonna go but now called in sick or unwilling. So we are looking for suitable replacement. I amjust helping as it is easier to coordinate from ashore. Nevertheless, Skip on board gets info from me regularly.

I guess it could be possible to get a ride from southern Portugal or Gibraltar to the Canaries on the Cat (to lower flight costs), since Skip is heading towards Gib right now. They are in eastern Spain at this time. We just have to ask the Skip and you better be quick, so you don´t miss him...

For the food, let´s make it reasonable. Everyone should contribute a little bit to the food on board. More or less. Once on shore, most of the times checks get split anyway. So just play it with some reasonable sense. You would be eating at home too, wouldn´t ya? So, no additional costs actually...

Anymore questions? For serious interests, we can also talk on the phone if one wishes. Write me a PM, then I´ll give you my #.

Thanks again for asking, it´s definitely going to be a cool trip. The boat is very nice and has a lot of room.

Last edited by snowflake123; 10-22-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2010
Telstar 28

Generally, the captain is responsible for feeding crew during the actual voyage and for their transport to/from the boat, especially if they're fairly experienced crew and not being paid.

You're looking looking for crew to come along, pay for their share of the food expenses and pay their airfare to/from the boat... no wonder those two bailed. At a minimum, anyone crewing for you is going to be laying out at least $1200 in airfare and then have to pay for food on top of that... WHAT A BARGAIN...

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.