Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
We met CruisingDad out in mid ocean!

We were sailing due south along a line of longitude - forget which one right now but it's not important -- and guess who we ran into? Cruisingdad.

Actually, we saw a large plume of smoke on the horizon and being a curious lot, and being out of beer, we decided to head toward it. DavidPM was using some sort of a compass that you hold up to your eye. He noticed that the bearing was changing slightly over time. So we plotted a course to intercept. (A few hours before, CapitalistNYC covered the bearing compass with pencil lead, so poor David had a ring around his eye the rest of the day. A good practival joke, I wish you could have seen it.)

QuickMick had me convinced it was an old fashioned whaler that was rendering some blubber. Then we thought it was a small island with a bonfire. In fact it was a sailboat, quite a bit bigger than our own. Closer still and we could make out a bar-b-que on the afterdeck.

As someone famous probably said about bar-b-ques, "where there's smoke, there's beer" so we trimmed the sails to catch him as fast as we could. I think if he noticed us that he would have sailed away, but he was so intent on brushing something onto a big juicy steak that we surprised him with our hail. He almost dropped his martini too -- olives and all. Man that guy likes to travel in style.

So we formed-up a nice raiding party and grappled onto his boat then climbed aboard. The woman all bee-lined for his shower while the men bee-lined for his bar. Such a nice guy, he didn't mind that we drank all his rum. He kept trying to convince us to all go swimming at the same time - something about taking a group picture -- but when Caleb noticed that he didn't have the swim ladder down we all got suspicious.

We took turns telling CD all the jokes we knew, until he was laughing hysterically. This wasn't easy since all our material comes from sailing forums and CD had heard them all before. Then we entertained him with skits, cherades and our own version of American Idol. "Catamaran Idol" we called it. (St Anna won with a stunning rendition of "I've got to be me".) Smack tried to sing "Turn Me Loose" again but we said that we'd seen it already.

We sang and drank and had a great time. There was never a mess because we threw all the empty bottles forward.

CapitalistNYC put pencil lead on CDs binoculars, camera and anything else he could think of. I stopped him when he was putting crazy glue on the head pump handle. At least if he was stuck there he could relieve himself, but CD has helped me in the past and I didn't want him to have to sit the rest of the trip out.

The party went on for a day and a half. In the end we left a hungover CD with a very messy boat, half-drained water tanks, most of his food in disarray if not eaten, much of his liquor gone, and his bow was noticably lower in the water. A very successful raid. And I'll never forget how fast he is at raising sails and getting underway. It took him less than 30 seconds from waving goodbye to reaching upwind at full speed. Those boats can really move.

Comparing notes later, we found that each of us had "accidently" left with a couple bottles in each pocket. I think when we saw his stock of about a thousand bottles, we figured he wouldn't mind. Besides, we'll pay him back next time he's in town, right?

Thanks CD, that was a good time. You really know how to party.

By the way, I think I'm wearing your boat shoes, so you can stop looking for them.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 11-30-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
well, the large plume looked more like a mushroom cloud... but at that time i was four sheets to the wind so it may have been visions of mushrooms on steaks... i yelled at DavidPM "use the good eye! And aim for the blubber!"
While CD saved his martini, the only reason the olives didnt hit the deck was due to Bene's 'under the limbo-stick' move over the rail, yet under the lifelines, to catch them in his mouth. It gets hazy from there...dunno if we got suspicious, or the S/Vauspicious came along side? If memory serves, Smack started yelliing turn me loose when we had to throw him a line, and hook his euro-speedos with the gaff...In any case...CD thanks for the booze. didnt know i had some 'to-gos' in my pocket but couldnt figure out why the girls kept yelling at Bene 'is that an airplane liquour bottle in your pocket or are you just happy to see us?!?!'
oh, btw, ive seen where your boat shoes have been--and wouldnt take em back...
now back to this darned rowing.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 11-30-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Whoa boy!

That gale Brad mentioned was quite a ride. How is it that in the whole wide open ocean we managed to run into a NOAA weather buoy in broad daylight? It probably helped that the seas were pretty high and there were a lot of people on deck feeding the fish and that we don't have a working GPS or chart plotter on board. I ran out of batteries for my old trusty Garmin 76 over a week ago. DavidPM has a sextant but has been tight lipped about our position and keeps mumbling something about having the wrong sight reduction tables.
Finding CD out on the ocean was another needle in the haystack find. He was such a gracious host and spared no expense wining and dining us that I felt so bad about spilling my Dark and Stormy on his chart plotter that I could not bring myself to tell him about it just then. So I'm sorry CD if your chart plotter is acting strangely or not acting at all; I'll get you a new one just as soon as I can.
I think that CD must have been getting tired of all the reverie going on all the time though. I'm pretty sure he was more then ready for us to leave or he already knew about the chart plotter but asking us all to go for a swim without setting the swim ladder up was the final straw. The water here is warm enough for swimming (even if we don't know where we are) and I'm pretty sure I've seen some Sargasso weed in the water so we know where we are within a radius of about 1000 miles or so.
I was able to get this photo of sunrise the day after we left CD. I noticed that the clouds above were actually moving in 2 distinct bands and directions at different heights. Is that a clue to our latitude? Could we be further south then Florida which was one of our proposed destinations? Perhaps Puerto Rico or Turks & Caicos will be our next 'port of call'. There is good, cheap rum in PR so I'm hoping that is where we are headed.
At one point we saw a derelict Morgan 36 drifting off in the distance and capitalistnyc wanted to go and check it out as did Bene505. We were all a bit curious as well so we kept rowing and caught up with it. The blue hulled Morgan was not in the worst shape and capitalistnyc jumped aboard proclaiming it a new country - his! The old A4 engine did not want to wake up without more sleep and some TLC so capitalistnyc found the sails and we were now a flotilla of 2 boats. We still did not know where we were though.
Attached Thumbnails
Crew wanted, round the world-openoceandawn2.jpg  

Everybody has one:

Old 12-02-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Well, finally got to check my email... my astronaut buddy was looking out the window hoping to spot us and give us a fix, but all he managed to see was the massive cloud formation that was spawned by CD's grill!!!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 12-03-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Good one Mick.

He must have the Hurricane 3000 grill and weather control device.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 12-04-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
He just used a little too much oil. COme on CD, get with it - do we still have to keep learning ya?

Oh, and I want only Rib eye fillet next time - no more rump steak for me. Also please get that moder Waiter TDW to bring the wine list as well. thanks.

Last edited by St Anna; 12-04-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bump.
. .
. .
Old 12-08-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Since SailingDog isn't around I have to tell you that this thread is over a year old. I got back last week from around the world and am writing the book already.
Old 12-08-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I hope the book includes the part that happened near Tahiti where Brad wanted to mutiny and stay with the locals, instead of pushing on. Perhaps the part where we passed the coast of Somalia should be left out, where we were nearly boarded by a hostile navigation mark. In fact there are plenty of memories that should probably not be included.

Everybody has one:

Old 12-09-2011

lajimo is on a distinguished road
J