Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2003

oceanguy is on a distinguished road
2 Here to Crew if you teach.

My fiancee and I are looking for a boat, preferably in the 30-40ft range, that has a captain willing to teach newbies. We''re in the process of signing up for USCG classes, but we need some hands on learning. If you live, or sail, around the South Chesapeake Bay area, and don''t mind taking aboard inexperienced sailors and will teach us, please contact me at cbm0811@hotmail.com. We are great learners and are looking to learn the right way and well in addition to having some fun. Thanks!

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Chris,

First, welcome to the world of sailing. Good luck in your journey.

I believe this advice has been offered before, but if you really want to learn how to sail, you should not learn on a "big" boat (IMHO). Even if you only spend the first few dozen hours of instruction on a small boat (under 23'', say), it will help you much more than starting on a big boat.

The CG Auxiliary-taught courses are good for general boating knowledge (and you need to learn all that, too), but for the mechanics of sailing, you need either a knowledgeable sailing instructor or a sailor who remembers what it is like to learn the skills for the first time. "Knowing a skill" and "effectively teaching a skill" are not always the same thing - again IMHO.

Good luck.

Duane
Old 05-23-2003

Duanne,

Thank you for the input, but getting a dinghy to go sail on is easier than finding someone with a "big boat" to teach us on it. I''m just starting early, that way I''m not rushing things when I''m rdy to learn on the "big boats". So my request still stands...and hopefully by the time we first sail I will have those first dozen hours of sailing already logged. Thanks again Duane, honestly.

Chris
Old 05-23-2003

I apologize, if above sounds weird (not a novelist that''s for sure). I meant that I know where to find a dinghy to learn on without purchasing it, but I don''t know anybody with a big boat to learn on. Sorry for the confusion.

Chris
Old 05-23-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Chris,

I think I understand what you mean, and I definitely know what it is like to "compress the learning curve" since I went from re-learning sailing on a 24'' boat to skippering a 45'' boat with confidence in one year. No matter how much I have learned so far, I realize there is far more I''ll be learning every day I sail.

Again, best of luck.

Duane
Old 05-29-2003

coveexplorer is on a distinguished road

Dear OceanGuy and Fiancee..
I might consider taking you two on as crew for a stretch up the ICW from southeast Florida (or some simple legs in the ocean) when I head north in a few weeks. I''m just the guy you are looking for...and some crew help would be a good idea. I have all the experience you could ever want and I am (reported to be) a natural teacher (no Captain Bligh stuff). My boat is a 30-footer, about twenty years old and well-equipped, though she is no gold-plater. If you are prepared for "down and dirty", meaning straightforward and sharing of the workload, then perhaps we should talk. My ultimate destination is New England.