Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Crew Wanted/Available
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011

RNMatelot is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake Bay/Potomac River Racing/Cruising

I am a UK Royal Navy officer, age 45, posted to DC for 2 years (until Mar 2013) looking to join a crew on the Bay or Potomac.

I am qualified Royal Yachting Association Yachtmaster(Ocean), have done a reasonable ammount of racing "around the cans" , including several Cowes Weeks, and up in Newport when I did a tour with the USN. Have done most positions around the boat although more experienced giving the bowman banter from the cockpit. Sailed several classes upto 67'. As my sailing qualifications suggest, I also have a fair ammount of offshore experience (about 10000 miles).

I am looking to join a fun but competative boat for weekend racing/cruising but would also be interested in doing offshore/passage racing too. Might be ale to do evening racing too subject to work (that mandatory way of passing the day between sailing trips!) I am used to "Brit Bashing" banter, dont smoke and enjoy a sociable beer after the race.

Looking forward to getting afloat - my wife says I am now starting to get under feet and needs a break
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
What's your location? Also are those 10k miles offshore on a sailboat or Navy ship? I keep my boat on the lower potomac and do multiple races on the bay from Annapolis to Hampton. I'm almost always looking for crew due to the boats location on the Saint Mary's river.

How much do you weigh?
Old 01-28-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, what other skills do you have that would make you valuable as crew?

CPR, Advanced First Aid, able to troubleshoot electrical, mechanical and diesel systems, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2011

Hi Sailingdog and zz4gta - good questions. My 10000 miles are offshore and coastal in sailing boats. This includes a transat (NY - UK) as 2nd mate (2007) and Antigua - Charleston (2010) as 1st Mate, both on a Challlenge 67. The latter was in support of the UK "wounded warrior" programme. Other offshore experience includes several English Channel crossings between UK and France both as crew and skipper and lots of coastal stuff (UK south coast/Scotland/Baltic). On a military vessel I have logged 22000 miles in command. I am a qualified advanced First Aider, including CPR, which was a pre-requisite to me acting as 1st Mate on the Ch 67. It is the STCW medical care/medical first aid at sea qual. I am 5'8, weigh in at about 180lbs and am living out at Springfield, Va. My YM(Ocean) ticket is commercially endorsed, which also requires me to be qualified in sea survival and pass a medical. It means I can be employed to skipper sailing yachts upto 24m or 200gt, not that I am seeking employment, but have done this on a freelance basis before. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Well I can't offer you the excitement of a 67 footer, but if you don't mind small boats I have a few races planned this year, a mix of distance and w/l stuff. Shoot me a pm with your email info and I'll forward you the list. Do you have a preference on crew position?
Old 01-31-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Send me a PM with a phone number or e-mail address and we can hook up in Annapolis. I lived in Yateling for a while. You will find local sailing and racing rather tame here compared to home.

Regardless, be happy to meet you and get you hooked up with the Annapolis racing community.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 01-31-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
You might be interested in the Middle Potomac Sailing Association series. The following Web link is a bit old, but the group is definitely active.

Middle Potomac Sailing Association

Beware that Potomac and Chesapeake sailing in summer is not nearly as "exciting" as UK sailing! 5 -10 kt at most unless a squall passes. With that said, there are exceptions - the conditions shown in my Avatar were from the MD Governor's Cup (overnight Annapolis to St. Mary's) last August. 15-18 kts.
Old 01-31-2011

Thanks Sabreman. I'll take a look at the web site. UK/English Channel can certainly be sporty but I have also spent several days during Cowes Weeks (early Aug) floating around the course getting sunburned and other times freezing and wet through - gotta love this global warming thing!!
Old 01-31-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
RNMatelot - We visited Portsmouth in mid-Aug and it was blowing 25 kts (with rain)! It reminded me of October on the Bay. It was killing me to see all the boats and not able to play with one. I did notice that virtually each one had a life raft and jack lines. My first thought was "These boys play hard!"

Plan to be warmer than in the UK.
Old 01-31-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMatelot View Post
Hi Sailingdog and zz4gta - good questions. My 10000 miles are offshore and coastal in sailing boats. This includes a transat (NY - UK) as 2nd mate (2007) and Antigua - Charleston (2010) as 1st Mate, both on a Challlenge 67. The latter was in support of the UK "wounded warrior" programme. Other offshore experience includes several English Channel crossings between UK and France both as crew and skipper and lots of coastal stuff (UK south coast/Scotland/Baltic). On a military vessel I have logged 22000 miles in command. I am a qualified advanced First Aider, including CPR, which was a pre-requisite to me acting as 1st Mate on the Ch 67. It is the STCW medical care/medical first aid at sea qual. I am 5'8, weigh in at about 180lbs and am living out at Springfield, Va. My YM(Ocean) ticket is commercially endorsed, which also requires me to be qualified in sea survival and pass a medical. It means I can be employed to skipper sailing yachts upto 24m or 200gt, not that I am seeking employment, but have done this on a freelance basis before. Hope this helps.
Yes, yes all very impressive. The real question is: Do you bring good beer or rum when you're sailing?
1973 Pearson 30 #255